Rafting the Pacuare then onto Arenal Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen posts suggesting this rafting company because it will pick you up in San Jose, take you rafting on the Pacuare and then drop you in Arenal. But, has anyone done it??
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Oops -- forgot to mention the tour is with Exploradores Outdoors. Thanks!
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:12 PM

When we rafted the Pacuare in November, there were people with us who were headed in various directions after we finished rafting. Some were staying on the Caribbean side for the next phase of their vacation and others were headed back to San Jose for the night and then on to Arenal the next day. Sounds like a good plan as long as you aren't paying too much. Day trips, transportation, etc. are really simple to arrange in CR. You can arrange most things almost last minute.

Our last two trips (18 miles) down the Pacuare cost $95 per person and I believe our ground shuttle from San Jose to Arenal was something like $35 - $40 as part of a package.

What month are you going? If you go in the next couple of months, your water levels might be pretty low. Guides told us there are times when they have everyone get out and walk the raft over rocks.

You'll have a blast no matter what, that is just how trips to CR are.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:50 AM

Exploradores Outdoors is a very reputable company. They are listed in the lonley planet guide book and I have heard a lot of good feedback and recommendations from people who have used them.

It is VERY convenient that you get transport and a tour in one. I think transport is the biggest headache here as travel times are usually long.

I think you should go for it!
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM

We're doing this with Exploradores outdoors this Wednesday, I'll post when I get back!

Also, any ideas of how long we can expect the ride to take back to Arenal? They told us 2 hours but I can't believe it, they say it takes the same to Arenal as to San Jose, but looking at the map I don't see how that's possible!
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM

If there were no traffic, you could be back in 2 hours. I'd say it will take you at least 2 1/2 hrs unless you get stuck behind a lot of slow poke trucks. They will pass when most of us wouldn't, but some areas are just too narrow and they have to wait for an opportunity. It will be a busy time of day in San Jose (5 p.m to 6 p.m.) when you return plus you may be dropping other rafters off as you come into town.

Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM

The drive was miserable...they packed us into a too small, uncomfortable van and it took almost FOUR HOURS!

That trip was definitely the low point of our vacation.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Nina,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with Exploradores Outdoors. I have actually been planning on doing the 1day Pacuare trip with Exploradores. We want to get picked up in Arenal in the morning and dropped off in San Jose after the rafting tour.

Could you give a few more details about your experience? I have no idea what time they'd pick us up in Arenal or drop us off after the trip. Any info on your experience would be most appreciated.
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:13 AM

I've heard good things about Rios Tropicales if you'd like a backup plan.

I'm planning on getting married in Costa Rica next year so we've done a lot of research about the day trips, hotels etc. We're going to rent a Jeep while we're there so I don't think driving to the rendevouz ourselves will be a problem as long as there's parking. But it would be convenient to know we're already with the group and that we won't get left behind...pickup/dropoff nightmares are common with any company you book. Occasional problems are destined to arise so I'm thinking it would probably be most important to find a company who knows the river and has experienced guides.
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:07 AM

We did this in January, and it was great - very convenient, and saved some money too, because we basically got the transfer to Arenal for free. I would definitely recommend it. I am not sure which tour exactly we booked it through - we booked it at anywherecostarica.com, where we booked all our tours, and nver had any problems. they watch your bags in the bus, so you don't have to worry about them getting stolen or anything. They provided snacks along the way, and lunch at the end. let me know if you have any specific questions.