Search

Rachel needs help with itinerary for Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rachel needs help with itinerary for Argentina

Fodorites,
We need help. I have always turned to this site for help with my European vacations. This time Rachel,age 18, has decided for her senior graduation trip to go to Argentina. Ok...but it is a big country and we have never been to South America. This is what I am thinking. Three weeks in July. I plan on using frequent flyer miles and stay at the Marriott in BA with points, but that is as far as I have gotten. It will be their winter. Where should be go and how long should we stay in each stop? What are the must sees? We want to find our Jewish relatives in La Plata and she wants to tango and of course shop 'till she drops! I just read something about an in-country air pass you can buy here in the states. Is it worth buying? Should I rent a car? Which side of the road do they drive on? I have planned many trips all over the world, but this one has me stumped. I need help from anyone who has done this before.
Thank you
Gail
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 06:32 PM

In July, I would suggest visiting our NW (Salta and Jujuy) and the Iguazú Falls.
If you are into winter sports, that changes things and maybe you should visit one of our ski resorts.
Do you need help with finding your relatives?
Tango is great in BA and so is shopping.
I would NOT rent a car. We drive on the same side as in the US.
For the rest of your questions, I suggest doing a little reseach here and in other forums.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Having just returned from BA and the NW, I would fully agree with avrooster to also see Salta and JuJuy area in addition to BA. The NW presents a totally different part of Argentina. While it isn't a shopping area like BA, every village has a market square with most interesting local things. The mountain views, fields of grape vines, people, food, wine (of course), and history are fantastic in the NW! The weather will be cool because of winter and the mountains.

I would NOT recommend a car--the traffic in BA makes the traffic in most US large cities seem mild and outside of BA in the NW there are very few (if any) road signs. We used a guide with rented car for five days in the Salta area and would highly recommend that.

BA is a great walking city and the radio taxis are very inexpensive. Do note avrooster's warning about fake bills and cabs. Small bills are a must in the NW so collect them in BA before heading NW. Always use larger bills in the city to force getting change and then keep them for cabs and the NW. BA offers great shopping for leather, great food and wine as well as historic buildings and tourist attractions. It is much like Paris, London or Chicago but friendlier and much less expensive! If you like large cities, you will love BA, and the NW offers a unique contrast to the city and even cheaper prices for meals and wine.

Iguazu Falls is also a unique sight but with a tropical feel. There is a lot there if you like exotic plants and birds, but I am not sure an 18 year old would enjoy that. Viewing the falls and doing the river excursions can be done in two days. We flew to and from BA with 2 nights at the falls at the Iguazu Sheraton located within the national park. It is the only in park hotel, but worth the price because it allows access to the pathways to the falls before/after the other tourists arrive from town.

This trip would be a wonderful graduation gift!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

AVrooster: Thank you so much for the information. I think that we would rather not go to snow country, so going to the NW sounds great. I will start there to plan the trip. I could use some help looking for the relatives. Do you have any suggestions?
CollegeMom--Rachel is all about seeing different things as long as there is a little shopping thrown in along the way. She is a photographer so a place to make beautiful pictures is perfect. Thanks for the info on the car. We usually like public transportation to feel more like a local and less like a toursit. Will we need winter coats to go up north? I read that the tempature in BA should be in the low 60's. I will look into the Sheraton. Who knows I may have enough points for that hotel as well! What I have read so far is airfares with in the Argentina are high. Are there ever deals since we are going during the winter?
Thanks
Gail
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 09:12 AM

We visited BsAs and Iguazu Falls last November. I have a long file I compiled when planning for our trip which I have been sharing with other travelers. If you would like to have it, please e-mail me.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 07:07 PM

The north has cooler temperatures compared to BA because of the mountains, but if you layer well, you probably won't need a winter coat. It is cool in the mornings and evenings, but comfortable in the day. It was probably 50 in BA on the coldest day in late August, and people had on winter coats and scarves, but I had on layers of cotton with a wool sweater as a jacket and was fine.

In the north you need a way to get from village to village so still would recommend a driver with car in the Salta area. Many of the villages were very small, and there were no local buses to be seen. The photographic opportunities are endless there! The mountains are somewhat like the Grand Canyon above the ground, the villages are full of colorful markets, and the ruins awesome.

I did get a "low season" rate of 40,000 miles per trip instead of the usual 60,000 miles for international flights on American Airlines in Aug/Sept. Shopping for fashionable, wearable leather is great in BA, but the north has many, many wool and varied locally made items. Many women sit knitting in their stands at the markets. It seemes the smaller the village, the smaller the price for items. There are woven baskets, pottery, silver, wooden, and jewelry items in addition to wool (sheep or llama) items. Plan to bring an extra suitcase or dufflebag for purchases!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:45 AM

stormyhd/Gail:
I'm sorry I forgot to answer your post.
I suggest you e-mail me to albertovgalloATyahoo.com with info about your relatives and I'll see what I can with the phone book and that kind of thing.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 12:37 PM

Dear stormyhd, the NW is perfect! And even better in July. People hwo came to this area fell in love with the countryside.
Flintstones
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:29 PM

stormy...For ancestral information (La Plata, BA, etc.)suggest you contact the nearest Jewish Genealogical Society ...they have enormous files and can save you a lot of research time. If you can tell me your city I can give you names and addresses for the closest JGS. (I am a historical novelist who has lectured at JGS's in Montreal, Fort Lauderdale, Denver, San Diego, L.A., Berkeley, Los Altos and Sacramento.) We found the BA community to be very warm and inviting..we were there just two months before the Commuity Center was blown up...and of course, we had visited the building!

Stu T. (L.A.) [email protected]
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:24 PM

ttt
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Hi, my name is Daniela an I would be pleased to help you with your trip and with info about your relatives, 'cause I'm jewish, with no commitment from your side more than a little bit of trust! I'm passionate about the idea of helping others know my country, since that is part of my job. Take a look at www.ezensitive.com to see my face! Tell me if I can provide you further help. Best regards, [email protected]