Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Quito Day Trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/quito-day-trips-468126/)

ltravel Aug 18th, 2004 03:05 PM

Quito Day Trips

I am planning a trip to Quito/Galapagos in November. Before my Galapagos cruise, I will be spending two full days in Quito. On one of the days I am taking a full day tour of Quito and the Middle of the Earth monument. I am trying to figure out what to do on the other day which is a Friday.

I am thinking about either:

1) Doing a day trip to Otavalo (market), Cotacachi (leather), and Peguche (weaving)

2) Doing a day trip to the Bellavista Cloud Forest Reserve

I would appreciate hearing people's thoughts about either of these options. I have read the "Galapagos Planning" thread, but I would love some more detailed information.

In particular, I was wondering whether the Otavalo Market is worth visiting on a Friday (is it even open? I have done some poking around and know that although the official market is on Saturday that it may also be open on certain weekdays).

As for the cloud forest, is this experience different enough from the Galapagos experience to warrant a visit? I will be in the Galapagos for a full week. Also, we are not big hikers, and so are the "easy" trails in the cloud forest worth the trip?

rquirk Aug 19th, 2004 04:49 AM

Otavalo is well worth the effort. Make sure you go when the farming produce and livestock market is on as well as the tourist market. It's really quite an eye-opener to see say someone selling a pig and several piglets.

belhr Sep 2nd, 2004 08:31 PM

Otovalo market is worth visiting on a Friday. We went mid-week and the craft market was up and running. I think it's just the livestock market that only runs on saturdays (although I may be wrong on that one).

peg Sep 3rd, 2004 12:17 PM

I have been so busy lately that I haven't been paying that much attention to this board or I would have gotten back to you sooner.

My two cents worth, if you like to shop then Otavalo is worth a visit (animal market only on Sat. am's), but you can also fit Cotachachi and a couple of other small villages in. That is what we did. On the way to Otavalo, we stopped at this little place and saw how Panama Hats were made.

I also enjoyed Bellavista, and yes it is a big difference than the Galapagos. If you are not big hikers I would opt for Otavalo, and save your selves for the islands where you will do much hiking.

aly0705 Sep 7th, 2004 11:03 AM

I'll be there in November as well, the 18th, 19th, and 20th, before heading to the islands. On Friday, I'm heading to Otavalo to be there for the Saturday market. Hoping to see the Mitad del Mundo monument on the way there from the bus. What day are you going to be there? Maybe we can join forces.

Aly

ltravel Sep 7th, 2004 01:05 PM

Thank you all for your replies--I think we are going to opt for Otavalo.

Peg, I believe you are one of the people that recommends Sangay Tours. Is this who you used for your trip to Otavalo? If so, do you remember how much it cost (their website is under construction right now)?

Also (and perhaps more importantly), do their cars have air conditioning? Is there is separate driver and guide?

Aly, sorry, our dates are not going to overlap--but have a great trip!

Percy Sep 7th, 2004 06:52 PM

Hi Itravel:

Peg is very busy so I will try to answer for her.
I also used Martin at Sangay Tours.

He booked all my trips in Quito and I was very pleased.

Yes the vehicles are air conditioned ,but in spite of being at the Equator , Quito is not that "hot", I mean temperature hot !!!

The evenings get chilly...bring a sweater/jacket.
I would do the Otavalo tour and see as many attractions as you can going there and coming back.

On the way to Otavalo ask the driver ( if he does not) to stop at the Mira Laga Store & small cafe, very nice views from here...it is right along the highway.

Do not forget that the original Centre of the World spot ( 1936) is on your way to Otavalo..stopand see this.
Once again it is on the way.

From Otavalo go to Cotacachi and in the town square see that beautiful Arupul Tree... it is Totally covered with red flowers...no leaves just flowers...amazing !!. The tree is in front of a nice church.

Oh yes if you want to write to Martin , his e-mail address is guide2galapagos.com

I just got a hello e-mail from Martin this morning so his e-mail must be working.

Have a nice time ,as I know you will.

I am sure this is what Peg would want to say !!! I hope.
She is packing for her move to Washington DC.

Percy

peg Sep 8th, 2004 02:32 PM

Thanks Percy, answered for me just fine. I am busy packing two days to go and I am still homeless. Hopefully tomorrow will bring me luck.

Percy Sep 8th, 2004 05:48 PM

Glad you approved Peg !!

Keep me posted on your progress

Thanks

Percy