Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Zip-offs, walking shorts, capris or roll-ups?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very confused about what to pack for our upcoming Caravan tour in March. I have read many recommendations for zip-offs. I tried on a pair of Columbia zip-offs today. I found the zipper felt irritating and the shorts were too short. I ordered a pair from Land's End today and hopefully these will be better.
Still, I could tell I will feel warm in zip-offs - are walking shorts or capris adequate? With mosquito repellent, is it really necessary to wear long pants and long sleeves? We're going on a tour so we will probably be on well-groomed trails.

Also, what is the consensus on moisture-wicking shirts? They look hot and uncomfortable to me - seems like I would sweat more in them even though they would absorb the sweat.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM

It would help to know where you are going. You don't need long sleeves and pants w/ mosquito repellant generally, unless you're in a malaria zone.

Whatever you are comfortable wearing in hot weather generally works in Latin America. Again, not sure what country you're going to or what you are doing. You wrote "well groomed trails" so I'll assume you will be hiking.

Moisture wicking shirts are pretty good. But again, whatever you like is what you should wear. The moisture wicking shirts don't absorb the sweat. In general cotton absorbs water and you wouldn't want to be wet. The moisture wick does not absorb the water. But it depends on the time of year you are travelling to also. And the area of the country. Will it be sunny? Rainy? I am fine in a cotton shirt almost anywhere. I just bring a light weight rain coat.

How will you feel warm in zip off pants? And how can you "tell" with out actually wearing them? If you are hot you can zip them off and make them shorts. That's the point.

Don't get caught up in the -need to buy a shirt, and zip off pants, and this and that.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 10:03 AM

I only take 1 pr of long pants to CR, usually some light cargo pants and those only cause I get cold on planes and if I go horse-back riding; other than that I never wear long pants. Shorts & t-shorts I usually but at TJ Maxx, Target or online if the price is right. TJ Maxx often carries Columbia stuff, which is good for quick drying needs but I don't get too caught up in & usually just take a lot of what I have. There are differences of course in stuff to take. T-shirts for example, I have some I would take and some definitely not, basically the thinner the better. But I wouldn't go out and buy a whole new pack of stuff to take.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
re moisture wicking, i had a very bad experience with "coolmax"... just like you said they were hot and did not breath. i saw no benefit at all!

i'm not sure where you're going but a girlfriend who often travels with Elderhostel to places like the Amazon, Ecuador, etc. just goes to Value Village before each trip, spends about $35 and outfits herself nicely (i complimented her wardrobe in her photos, and she told me her secret!)
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Sorry everyone - I had selected costa rica to post under but somehow it went to Latin America. I will re-post under Costa Rica so some of you will see the same post again -sorry!

Yes, I am going to Costa Rica - we will visit both coasts (Tortugero and MA) as well as Arenal and San Jose.

About the zip-offs - I figured that if I felt hot in the store I would definitely feel hot in the jungle!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 11:13 AM

All posts end up together on the same Latin America board. The Costa Rica designation only helps for searches, etc.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Yes - I see that now - thank you! I did forget to put a tag on for searches for a prior post and thought I had done the same thing again!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM

Capris are fine and work for hiking or horseback riding if you will be doing that. I recently returned from Guatemala and I wore LL Beans pima cotton short sleeved Ts and was very comfortable even in Tikal where it is very warm. I personally really like my Columbia zip offs. I have two pairs that are really light weight and I don't feel hot in them but then I don't wear the long pant part unless it is cooler. Thanks for the heads up about TJMaxx carrying that brand tully.

Heavy cotton t shirts and jeans should probably be left home. Lighter weight clothes that you have should be fine. A couple of capris, a couple of shorts and 1 pr of long pants should be more than enough. You can get clothes laundered. The only place you might need a sweater might be in San Jose. Arenal can get cool in the evening sometimes.

You can use repellent instead of wearing long sleeved shirts and long pants. You may find that you don't even need the repellent but have it handy just in case they start biting.
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM

Until recently, I've taken the very same stuff (many, many trips) that I wear here in Okla/Texas during the summer. Shorts and lightweight t-shirts. One pair lightweight capris. One pair of zipoffs. The zipoffs have come in handy several times. I've carried money in those pockets (and credit cards) and it doesn't really show at all. Anytime we have more cash on us than we feel comfortable with we split it up and both of us carry some.

Recently have bought a couple of quik-dri shirts, and will be trying them out in 2 weeks down on the Osa. We'll see how they work. I also purchased a long sleeved quik dri shirt with sleeves that roll up and attach to a tab. Thought that would serve a couple of purposes as I often like long sleeves in the evening in places that are cooler (Arenal, the mountains, etc). Bought one for my husband as well.

So we have a few new things to try out; but really, had NO problems with all our regular stuff for years. All the new options are nice, but you know, sometimes it just complicates things!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM

Keep in mind that not all zip-off pants and not all wicking shirts are created equal, mostly because of the technology of the fabric, though fit affects cooling also. For example, in really hot weather Columbia wicking shirts don't feel much different than cotton, but my Go Lites and North Face shirts and my husband's Marmots are magic.

I prefer the REI brand of zip-offs because they fit well and the shorts are a little longer, but in Honduras and Guatemala I don't usually wear shorts except at the beach, preferring long pants or skirts and occasionally capris.

I figure out what I want and watch online and in stores for big sales. High end brands sometimes close out last year's colors for half price. The stuff lasts forever so once you've got your travel stash you're set. Just my 2 cents' worth...
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:10 AM

Zip-offs have worked well for me because I leave from a cold climate, so need long pants to start my day. Then it is super easy to zip-off the bottoms before landing in warm climates - much better than trying to change into shorts in an airplane restroom! But I also find that zip-offs come in handy in the spring where I live, so are not just a trip only purchase.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM

Some zip-offs are irritating, I noticed that too. But other brands are more comfortable. My favorite brand got ruined in someone's dryer...don't remember the brand. Try on different ones.

The trouble with loose-fitting capris is that they will be cooler, but if there are any mosquitoes, they tend to fly up loose-fitting capris I found! They can bite you where you didn't put any mosquito repellant. Bring along something that stops the itching...R.E.I. has some good stuff that is small enough to carry with you on hikes...

Long pants with long sleeves help for the mosquitoes which bite in the evening...by then it is usually cooler.

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! If the Land's End ones don't work out I will check out the REI store. I don't see myself using zip-offs alot in the future so I don't want to spend too much money. I was lucky to find great ones for the men (Dick's) and boys (gymboree) in our group on sale but haven't had much luck for women's zip-offs.

REI isn't all that close to me - is it more of an upper end store in terms of cost?
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 06:09 AM

Yeah, but they have great sales. Check out their online and online outlet stores:

www.rei.com
http://www.rei.com/outlet/index.html
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:16 AM

I rarely wear shorts or short sleeves when walking in forests because of bugs and contact with plants that irritate my skin. I like the synthetic fabric of the zip-offs as they are so light and dry quickly. The zippers on the first ones I tried irritated me when I sat down, so I bought some of similar material but no zip-offs. The material worked great, but I just didn't like the style/look of them.

Recently I bought a pair of REI zip-offs on sale (still not cheap). As mentioned, they seen to be longer shorts, so the zipper does not bother me sitting. I have worn them on the plane and on hot buses, etc. and could unzip the lower leg to get some air without having to zip off to shorts. Of course, I wouldn't walk around that way.

I am mixed on the mosture wicking tops. I have cycling tops that feel very light and comfortable, but are quite form fitting, so I wear them when exercising or hiking, but not sightseeing. I have the long rollup sleeved shirt with airvents down the sides. It does not feel as cool as the cycling tops, but it is not bad and gives my arms coverage from the sun.

My husband bought several pairs of zipoffs and the shirts a couple of years ago before a trip to Europe when we were going to travel light and wash clothes. He liked how lightweight they were and now wears them around home as his casual clothes all the time. I think he has made them into shorts only one or two times. (He sunburns so easily).
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 07:27 AM

I'm no fashion plate, but I just can't do those zip-off pants. A nice pair of good fitting khaki shorts + a pair of capris or lightweight cotton pants would have to be my choice.