Questions on What to Pack for Osa Peninsula Trip

Old Apr 6th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on What to Pack for Osa Peninsula Trip

My 6 year old daughter and I are staying at Bosque del Cabo in early July, and I have some questions for those who have been to the Osa Peninsula:

1) What type of footwear do you recommend? I’ve seen recommendations for hiking boots, waterproof shoes/sandals (Keen or Teva type), and also regular athletic shoes. At home we hike in regular athletic shoes, as we usually find hiking boots heavy and uncomfortable (my daughter and I have high arches and are more comfortable in footwear with flexible or neutral soles vs. heavy arch support.) However, since we are going during the rainy season, would it be unwise to take regular athletic shoes? I noticed that Lapa Rios provides high rubber boots for their guests. Are those really helpful in that area?

2) Would you recommend bringing our own large stainless water bottles to refill? I am not a big fan of drinking out of plastic bottles, but am wondering whether it will be worth lugging the stainless ones.

I’ve gotten some tips on what to pack from the BdC and Lapa Rios sites (i.e., quick drying clothing, headlamp, binoculars, flashlight), but am wondering whether anyone has anything else to add that might be helpful?

We will also be going to Tulemar Bungalows and Peace Lodge… so will need to pack a few pieces of warmer clothing as well.

Thank you for your help!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 04:29 AM

As long as your sneakers have a good tread and support your ankle well, they would work fine. I usually bring low cut hiking shoes, a pair of flip flops and a pair of crocs. The latter I would never be caught wearing however down in CR they are just perfect, especially when you're crossing a lot of water/creeks. Have never felt the need for the high rubber boots, the trails are always well kept and you won't be going thru brush.

I would get the bottles at Bosque, think they cost around $3. Yes they are plastic but they are made to disintegrate in 3 years (they do!) and light.

Definitely bring some warmer clothes for Peace Lodge. I mostly had "Osa" clothes when I stayed there and was freezing.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 06:26 AM

We just wear running shoes if the trail is dry and Keen's if it's wet and muddy. I like that the Keen's dry quickly. Like tully, I usually pack a pair of flip flops to wear around the cabin and for if we go to the pool. For me, rubber boots are hot and uncomfortable. We just used our own plastic water bottles to drink out of, and they refilled them for us. It's really just whatever your own personal preference is. Tulemar Bungalows will be pretty hot, but I'd pack a long sleeved shirt and light jacket for the Peace Lodge since it can get chilly. We saw people wearing shorts there, and they looked pretty miserable. We always pack our Birds of Costa Rica book because it's fun to identify what you're seeing. There are also laminated wildlife cards that kids like to use. Rainforest Publications carries them online if you're interested.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you tully and VG… very helpful, exactly what I needed to know!
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 08:22 AM

Hope you guys have a wonderful time. You're going to some great spots.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you VG! We're excited!