Questions about Ylang Ylang

Old Sep 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Ylang Ylang

Does this property have trails to hike or is the main attraction the beaches in the area? I read that the beach directly at the lodge is not a good swimming beach, does the beach 5 minutes away also have dangerous riptides? Any restaurant recommendations in town? What are the must do's in the area aside from enjoying the lodge? Are there bicycles for rent anywhere? Any other tips are welcome!

Thanks.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM
RAC

The property is pretty widely spread out with a lush garden feel, but not much in the way of hiking on the grounds. The beach walking is awesome though, as us the wildlife you'll see.

For hiking, you can try the waterfall trail (be prepared for water), Cabo Blanco, or Curu-- the latter two require driving.

The room rate includes dinner, so you probably don't need to worry about restaurants--Ylang Ylang's food was the best we had in Costa Rica.

Biking is probably not a real good idea--the only way to access the resort is by the beach, and the roads into the town are every bit as bad as those into Monteverde.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks RAC. Just trying to get a sense of how much time I would want to spend there in relation to the other areas we'd stay next trip. Also, the lodge is walking distance to town, right (lunch)? What type of a room/bungalow did you stay in?
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 07:49 PM
RAC

It's about a 10 minute walk across the beach to town and then another 5-10 to the waterfall trail. The only reasons we had for going into town were the waterfall, the zipline (very cool--if you go in the afternoon you get to swim in the pools above the waterfall), and to be picked up for our guided tour of Curu.

We spent three days there but I'd be happy to spend a week there again. Besides what I've already mentioned, there's Isla Tortuga tours, very popular horseback tours, and the rest if southern Nicoya to explore. And, of course, there's the Holistic spa and daily yoga class.

We stayed in one of the standard rooms--the cheapest option besides the tents--and found them to be just fine (this was before they added A/C). We only used the room for sleeping, showering, and changing--the rest of the time was spent in the ocean, in the pool, on the beach, or in a super comfy hammock relaxing to the sound of the ocean crashing against rocks 50 feet away.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks RAC. We would just take the cheapest room as well. Thank you for all the helpful tips. The reason I was asking about town, is that our plan is to be in some other fairly isolated areas and it's sort of nice to have a balance where there's at least a small town to walk too once in a while and I also don't enjoy too much down time. Sounds like there are some good tours though and it sounds like a great place! The grounds look beautiful.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM

RAC - is Ylang Ylang a place you'd recommend for families? Or did it seem more of a couples place?

Thanks!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
RAC

There were families there, and its certainly not some kind of couples-only place. If I had kids, I'd certainly take them there.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Great - this might just be the place I've been looking for! Sounds perfect for this trip! I remember looking at it when we planned our first trip and then sort of forgot about it thinking it seemed difficult to get to - how the travel time to get there? Did you fly or take the ferry and drive? Did you have a vehicle while there?
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
RAC

We drove there from Monteverde, so we obviously had a 4WD.. But, if we were heading straight there, we'd probably fly into Tambor and have someone pick us up. A vehicle is more of an inconvenience than a convenience if you're staying at Ylang Ylang--you have to park in town and have them come pick you up in their jeep and drive you across the beach to their grounds. Once we arrived, we didn't use our car again until we left town.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Shell - So you haven't settled on anything yet? What's the hold up? LOL! I'm the same way though...geez, we may run into each other at this point! Ha! If we make it there as planned, we'll be flying in from SJO cuz this will probably be our first stop after arriving from the U.S.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM

Hi Hip - the beach directly in front of Ylang Ylang is a bit rocky, but you can definitely play in the waves. It is a beautiful, dramatic beach, almost white sand, with lots of interesting looking rocks where the sea birds hang out. If you walk approximately 20 minutes to the north (I think it's to the north) you will arrive at Playa Grande, which is a beautiful deserted beach, a lot less rocky than YY's beach, and you can swim there. Of course, like anywhere in CR, you want to be careful with riptides, but this beach felt a lot calmer and sheltered than the other beach.
I cannot say enough good things about Ylang Ylang (and RAC has said a lot of them). As you know, I tied the knot on the beach in front of Ylang Ylang last February, and my husband and I are returning next February for 5 nights. It is the one place in Costa Rica I would return to again and again, and never tire of it.
We stayed in the little domes on the beach, and it was a fantastic feeling having the waves lull you to sleep every night (you are soooooooo close!) The domes are small but perfectly adequate. Our friends stayed in the dome #5 set higher up the hill in the jungle, and had wonderful monkey viewings on a regular basis.
The staff are unbelievably friendly, and the food is to die for. There is a yoga studio overlooking the ocean, and every morning I did a class - nirvana!!!
Oh, and one other thing - when I go to CR I really prefer to hang out in the ocean, but I have never seen a nicer pool than Ylang Ylang's, it is so lush, and has this incredible waterfall that you can sit under and massage your shoulders, and monkeys and iguanas frolic freely. It was amazing.
Good luck, but I don't think you can go wrong with Ylang Ylang!