Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Questions about Mexican hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/questions-about-mexican-hotels-928847/)

laurab88 Mar 23rd, 2012 12:01 PM

Questions about Mexican hotels

Hello!
I’m Laura, I’m a MA Marketing student at Dublin Business School. I’m currently in my dissertation phase in order to graduate. My dissertation is about how British culture influences the perception of quality in a Mexican hotel. I am asking for your cooperation to please answer my questionnaire, it should take 10min maximum and total anonymity is guaranteed all along. Please only answer if you are British, planning to go to Mexico soon and staying in a hotel.
The link is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/briti...e_mexicanhotel

The answers will enable me to know what your expectations are in a Mexican hotel in order to fulfil them. I do not work for any company/organisation. This is exclusively for primary research in order to complete my dissertation.

Thank you very much for your help, it is very much appreciated!
Laura

suze Mar 23rd, 2012 08:45 PM

Why would your expectations be any different for a "Mexican hotel" than any other place in the world? And why would the British have different answers from other parts of the world?

NoFlyZone Mar 24th, 2012 04:31 AM

I thought it humorous, er, humourous that the error messages were in French! Other than that, suze said it all...why?

suze Mar 24th, 2012 07:24 AM

I still want to know why only the Brits can answer? They have some kind of standards and expectations different from everyone else?

cabron Mar 24th, 2012 07:32 AM

What a shame here I am, British, but not a tourist, sigh :)

laurab88 Mar 24th, 2012 11:28 AM

Fist, thank you to the 5 people who have answered the questionnaire, I really appreciate you taking the time to do so!
Sorry about the message error in French! So embarrassing! I have fixed it, should be ok now.

Then, to answer your questions. This is for primary research so I started with hypotheses and am doing this questionnaire to see if my hypotheses are validated or not.

I was inspired to do this research by other reading other studies:
"Does national culture really matter? Hotel service perceptions by Taiwan and American tourists" by An-Tien Hsieh and Chien-Wen Tsai (2009)
"Does national culture influence consumers' evaluation of travel services? A test of Hofstede's model of cross-cultural differences" by John C. Crotts and Ron Erdmann (2000)
The abstracts can be read free of charge (on the Emerald website).
Spoil alert: the quick answer is yes!

I find it really strange and interesting that people from different cultures may have the exact same experience and think completely different things about it.

For my research, it was better being focused and choosing two nationalities (instead of doing something broad like "the role of national culture on the perception of quality in a hotel?", that would have led to too many variables).

I hope that answers your questions. If you have anymore or comments, feel free. It is always useful!

Dude Mar 25th, 2012 12:35 PM

Well this is so bizarre I completed the survey. Wish I could have obtained an MA with this kind of work. Wow different cultures percieve things differently... Amazing, who would have thunk it!

laurab88 Mar 27th, 2012 09:20 PM

Thanks a lot for answering!

The questionnaire is still open if other people want to answer! =)

sassy_cat Mar 28th, 2012 01:47 PM

I completed it but as a Brit living in the US so I'm sure that adds a bias to my responses.

Good luck with your MA

laurab88 Mar 28th, 2012 10:29 PM

Thanks a lot "sassy_cat"! =)

laurab88 Apr 3rd, 2012 10:15 PM

I'd like to thank every one for their answers! this has helped me masses!
I'll be closing the survey friday evening.