Questions about Los Cabos

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Los Cabos

We will be traveling to Los Cabos in early March and have a few questions. We have decided to stay at the Presidente Intercontinental in San Jose del Cabo b/c we desire the more relaxed atmosphere.

We are looking for advice on the following:
1) We plan to go diving and have been in touch with "Underwater Diversions" and "Manta Scuba". Has anyone gone diving with these shops or are there others you would recommend?

2) We plan to rent a car while we are there so we can travel around a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions for must-do day trips? (We've read about La Paz and Todos Santos...are they worth the trip?)

3) What about whale watching at the beginning of March...any suggestions?

Thanks so much for any advice you would be willing to share with us (on these topics or others)!
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 09:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm never sure how to answer the "is it worth it" question, since I don't know you or what you would enjoy.

That said, La Paz is a beautiful, normal, mid-sized Mexican town, living up to its name of 'peace'. I spent two weeks there one year and liked it very much. Great fish tacos.

I've heard only good things about Todos Santos but haven't been myself as I flew in to La Paz direct on my Baja visit and didn't have a car.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Eigna:

We don't dive so I can't help you there. We will be in Cabo in two weeks and plan a side trip to Todos Santos, so I will report back.

Your hotel can help you out with recs on whale watching. I think they stay until May(?)

MY
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 07:21 PM

Been a while since I dove there but if the season's right and you are Advanced divers or have a fair amount of experience try to dive El Bajo... it's a very deep seamount that has schooling hammerhead sharks (usually not viscious - only take little bites!!!) not sure when it's divable and when it's not but worth checking out... There was a very good dive shop in La Paz but I can't remember their name now...
We loved the few hours we spent in Todos Santos and would have spent more time there if we could have but that was over 8 years ago - may have changed... just over 5 years ago since we were in La Paz and it's a fun, but sleepy little town - very authentic...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies!

Suze: What we have in mind for a day trip is that we would like the opportunity to see some neat scenery and other quaint towns. From your experience, would a trip to La Paz provide this?

MichelleY: Thanks for offering to report after you return from the area...that will be most helpful!

AndrewW: We actually just got certified last fall and this will be our 2nd dive experience in the ocean/sea. Thanks for the tip though...maybe on our next trip we'll check out El Bajo! I am excited to see some sharks!

--Eigna
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes it would. It's desert along the highway so am not certain the scenery of the drive itself. But La Paz has a great downtown core and a long Malecon (seawall promonade). A small museum, like that. I'm not sure I'd use the word quaint as much as authentic. It is a very "real" Mexican town without tons of tourist infrastructure. There are wonderful funky restaurants and taco stands along the highway and main road thru town. I had a memorable fried whole fish one lunch in a palm roof shack kind of place overlooking the ocean with cold beer and shots of tequila. Don't expect English to be spoken most places. There's also a good large department store if you need any supplies along those lines.