Search

Questions about Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Itinerary

My husband and I already have our tickets booked for October 14th and leaving October 26th going in and out of San Jose. This is what we would like to do, but I'm hoping to get feedback and a couple of recommendations from everyone here.

October 14th: Arrive in SJ at 9AM. Plan on catching a domestic flight to Tamarindo, and then heading to Playa Grande (Hotel Las Tortugas). We are reserving a rental car to pickup in Tamarindo later in the week, as I'm not sure we'll need one here, and I've heard there can be problems with car break-ins.

October 18th or 19th: Pick up the rental car and head for Monteverde. Not sure how many days to stay in Playa Grande (will we get bored - we don't surf) and not sure if there is any place interesting to stop on the drive to Monteverde. Any suggestions?
Once in Monteverde, planning on staying at El Sapo Dorado.

October 22nd: Monteverde to Arenal
Looking for hotel suggestions there. Thinking about staying at Tabacon Lodge because it looks beautiful on the website, but it is a little expensive. Any suggestions for other places would be appreciated.

October 25th: Head back to San Jose for the night before we catch our flight to Peru on Thursday morning.

Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

I realized I forgot to put Costa Rica in the title. Oops!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:10 PM

For Arenal hotels:

Personally, I don't like Tabacon, but I know some do. I recommend Arenal Lodge, Arenal Kioro, or Arenal Paraiso.

Sandy
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:32 PM

I'd not choose Tabacon either--although I think the thermal springs there are gorgeous! Baldi Thermales is nice as well and for less money.
We liked Arenal Paraiso. Lost Iguana sounds lovely, though--more upscale.

You won't get bored in Playa Grande. It is a very pretty beach and so near to a lot of good areas--I found the best shells here! Go ahead and rent a car early on--the wheels will give you lots of options should you get antsy to move around! Get 4 wheel drive, for sure. . .Don't worry about car break ins. Just don't leave stuff in there---ever. Check out Tamarindo, Playa Langosta, Brasilito, Playa Flamingo, Playa Potrero, Playa Pena, and Playa Pan de Azucar (Sugar Beach). Get yourself a good map so you can see where they all are!

Excellent restaurants to be found in Tamarindo, Brasilito (Camaron Dorado a don't miss. . ), Flamingo, and Potrero area. All are within 30 min. of Playa Grande.

If you want to venture a little further, take the Congo Trail (Monkey Road) out of Playa Potrero up to Sardinal (anyone in Potrero can direct you). This will put you right there at Playas del Coco, Playa Hermosa, Playa Panama--the entire Papagayo Peninsula area.

If you are interested in pottery, make your way down to Santa Cruz (about an hour away) and into the country 10 or so km to the little town of Guayitil--great stuff to find here! You'll want to bring some home--makes very nice gifts!

You have a wonderful trip planned--enjoy every moment! And then Peru--Wow!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the hotel recommendations. Shillmac - Thanks for all the great recommendations. I'll make sure to take them with me.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 05:02 AM

Hello,
We stayed at Tabacon Lodge. It is quite large and has alot of tour buses using the facility. We booked ahead a spa package of three treatments which both my husband and I enjoyed. I would recommend this highly. It was priced well considering we received three full treatments. (Do not get a manicure or pedicure in that it is too humid). My husband has never had a spa treatment but found this to be a great experience.
We found the restaurant in the hotel that was limited to hotel quests to be the best. We went to a restaurant about a mile away only to discover that is was pricy and not so good. We did not have a car, so I cannot speak to other locations. There is also a small hotel in the hills(Arenal Lodge). I believe it will not have the springs but it will also be quieter and less expensive with a great view.
Do not be surprised if you do not see the volcano. The clouds cover it quite a bit. We heard it and did see it briefly but did not see the lava flow.
We enjoyed both the hanging bridges and a boat tour that we booked through the hotel.

Regarding SJ:
We stayed at the Marriott for one night. It was an attractive hotel. They held our luggage so that we could fly on a small plan for a side trip.
We met people who stayed at a coffee plantation hotel and loved it.
Enjoy
Leah
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Here's what we finally booked.

Taking Shillmac's advice we decided to rent the car in San Jose and keep it for our entire trip.
Six days in Playa Grande at Hotel Las Tortugas.
Three days in Monteverde at Arco Iris Lodge.
Three days in Arenal at Arenal Paraiso.
One night in San Jose at the Holiday Inn (recommended by a friend as clean and safe - my husband liked that).

I will make sure to post again when we return. Thanks again!
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I like the Arenal Lodge. I have stayed there twice, most recently in August. There is a lovely trail on the backside that is very much like Monteverde but shorter. However the main lava flow is now on the La Fortuna side, opposite from where the Arenal Lodge is.