Search

Quck Trip to Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quck Trip to Costa Rica

Two of us are planning a quick trip to a warm weather destination over President's Day weekend from DC next February, leaving on a Friday and returning on Monday. We do not want to pay a lot for airfare, and San Jose CR is only $264 per person round trip.

The times of the flights are good, as we would arrive in San Jose at 10 AM on Friday and depart at 5 PM on Monday. However, with that little time, we do not want to spend hours going to another destination within CR.

We are thinking of staying somewhere in the Central Valley that will give us a feel for rural CR, and would not like to spend more than $160 or so for a hotel per night. Of thge hotel options in that price range, Valle de Vista looks like it might be a winner. Are there any suggestions for hotels?

We might make a day trip from our base (Poas Volcano???/a nearby Waterfall???/suggesionts???), and just relax around the hotel the rest of the time. We would be happy if we could go on some sort of hike directly from the hotel as an activity. We do not plan on renting a car.

Overall does this plan make sense - to go to CR and not visit any of the primary tourist areas?

Thanks
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 05:13 AM
RAC

It's certainly doable, but you'd be much better off renting a vehicle if you're not going to have taxi access to worthwhile sights. If you're at all adventurous, I'd recommend doing a Pacuare rafting trip for one of the days if you really don't want to rent a car.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Awesome airfare!
I would rent a car for a day trip to Poas volcano and La Paz (Peace Lodge) Waterfalls. Most companies will deliver the car to your hotel. You can book a day tour to those areas, but I think they are expensive vs renting a car.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM

I would head to La Fortuna you can fit in so much in a weekend! Check out Desafio
costaricarenee
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 09:32 AM

I would go to Arenal too - so much to see and do there, and the active volcano is amazing.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM

The airfare is great but I would not do a quick trip to Costa Rica! Costa Rica deserves at the very minimum, 7 days. I have been many times and done the rental car thing. For a short time like you are planning, rent a car. Make sure you have a good map. The roads can be quite bad if it rains (even if it doesn't rain) and short distances often take hours because of the poor quality or the fact that they are narrow and have lots of swithbacks in some areas. I hate to say don't go but I would really rethink it.