Q's re Argentina travel agents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working now with Karina at Wow Argentina, who answered my email to Cintia, who is so highly recommended here.

After a few rounds at reaching an itinerary, she has quoted me a price I find surprisingly high. For example, at Iguazu they are charging us at least $141 more than the cost of airfare and hotel (at the rate I can get online, which is higher than their special rate), for apparently a map, written info about the falls, and transfers to and from the airport. For the towns on our itinerary, unless private guides are around $200/day at Salta and Puerto Madryn, prices seem similarly high. I thought using TAs in Argentina is supposed to save money? Or are local airport transport at the Falls and private guides really that expensive in these towns? Thanks... Claire
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I'm not quite sure if your $-signs are Pesos or Dollars... Here is a thought on how to judge your travel helper: has she explained to you the option of going by bus from BA to Iguazu? There are very comfortable buses (fully reclining seats, attendants, meals...), and the overnight trips are priced at about 55 US-Dollars. A good travel helper should at least mention this option and explain that long bus trips in these buses are much more comfortable than, say, Greyhound buses in the US. Many travel agencies focus on selling air tickets because of the higher comissions.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Benco - These are the US prices. Since our time is limited, we only wanted to fly from one city to another, rather than taking the time for a bus trip.

What also surprises us is that they want 100% prepayment now for an October trip. I can see paying them now for airfare and maybe first night in each town, but prepaying everything, including the private guides, this early, seems very odd. Is this typical? Thanks, as always - Claire
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM

We also worked with WoW Argentina for our trip. We had a complicated itinerary, and when we finally got everything straightened out, we paid our balance in full. This happened about a couple of months prior to arrival.

I found her prices reasonable for the level of service that we expected and received.

They turned out to be in the right just about every time I tried to second guess them.

I know it's stressful planning a trip, but I found them to be very trustworthy.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM

I ditto the recommendation for WOW! Argentina. My husband and I were very impressed with the outstanding level of service and would definitely use them again.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

I have no criticism of Karina - she's extremely polished and professional and really good to work with. I'm only questioning what the fees are all about since the point of using TAs in Argentina, I thought, was to save money. My husband and I travel around the world and never use agents, although we select hotels and hire private guides with great success from recommendations from fellow Fodorites. I must admit that I'm an addicted travel planner - as you can see, 6 months prior to a trip I have nailed down air, hotel, and guides whenever possible! AVRooster or Dr. Dawggy or Jerry - can you shed any light here? Thanks, as always - Claire
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Hi Claire-
We were just in Iguazú about a week ago and our trip was planned by Karina and Cintia of WOW! Argentina. We were very glad we had purchased our package through them. Let me explain why.

They offer service to you that is hard to quantify. For example, when we were due to return to Buenos Aires from Iguazú, our flight was delayed for mechanical reasons. After a 2-hour delay, I called Cintia on her 24/7 emergency number to explain the situation and to ask her to please notify our driver (at the Buenos Aires domestic airport) and our hotel that we might be very late or that we might not even get out that night. Cintia was already aware of the delay of this flight, was carefully monitoring the situation and would take care of everything for us. We eventually got out 3 1/2 hours late, but I had the peace of mind knowing that we would be met at the BA airport when we arrived and that we would have our hotel room, regardless of the hour of arrival. This would not have been possible if I had mad all of my travel arrangements by myself.

BTW, I am also an addicted self-travel planner, but this one time made me grateful that someone else (WOW! Argentina) was worrying about my problems and taking responsibility for a smooth outcome.
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 11:51 AM

To clarify:
1. You will not save money by working with WOW-Argentina. Use WOW because of the convenience or because of the quality of service (per above posts)but you pay a price for their service.

2. You may not save money by working with any TA in Argentina since airlines changed fare rules about a year ago, eliminating lower fares purchased in Argentina for foreigners. These days there is no cost savings for purchases in Argentina vs purchasing abroad.

The only way A TA in Argentina may save you meoney through a package, including transfers, excursions, air and hotel....but you may find that you pay less by pricing everything online yourself.

To sum up: I used to advise people to use a local TA to save money...but that rule no longer applies. Now, use TAs for convenience or service not cost savings.

Old Apr 29th, 2007, 05:21 PM

Well, I want to clarify that whenever a people pay for the tranfer and for some reason, the flight has a delay the transfer should be done, I had to wait on my birthday the whole day at the airport.It is part of our duties...Guides should not experct a reward for that...
The cost of guides depends on the days you will take a service, the distances or the circuits you will do,the time...
Anyway SAlt a deserves you come, you will love the area.
Flintstones
Old Apr 29th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Angie: what is this place called "SAlt"? A new hotel? LOL!!!