PV or Cancun at Christmas?

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 04:02 PM
Lara

PV or Cancun at Christmas?

Looking at a few options and would appreciate any feedback on any of the resorts. We are looking at going to either PV or Cancun x-mas 1999/2000.
In Cancun we are considering:
Iberostar or El Dorado

In PV we are considering:
Crown Paradise
Sierra Nueno Vallara
Qualton Club

Thanks.

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 03:57 PM
Diane

We took our (then) 19 and 15 year old kids to Cancun for Christmas vacation in 1997 and had a great time. We rented a VW and made lots of daytrips down the Yucatan coast -- on the way to Tulum, but never made it to Tulum. There are lots of wonderful beaches (Xpu Ha) and towns like Playa de Carmen and Akumal to stop at. I'd go back to PDC in a minute. Cancun is fun. You can take the bus downtown at night from the Hotel Zone and find some really good restaurants, but PDC was laid back, relaxing and the beach was gorgeous. Don't know about the specific resorts you mention. There is a site www.cancunmx.com that shows beach side shots of most all of the places in Cancun and some of the larger resorts in PDC. Worth checking out if "beach" is important!

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 03:57 PM
Diane

We took our (then) 19 and 15 year old kids to Cancun for Christmas vacation in 1997 and had a great time. We rented a VW and made lots of daytrips down the Yucatan coast -- on the way to Tulum, but never made it to Tulum. There are lots of wonderful beaches (Xpu Ha) and towns like Playa de Carmen and Akumal to stop at. I'd go back to PDC in a minute. Cancun is fun. You can take the bus downtown at night from the Hotel Zone and find some really good restaurants, but PDC was laid back, relaxing and the beach was gorgeous. Don't know about the specific resorts you mention. There is a site www.cancunmx.com that shows beach side shots of most all of the places in Cancun and some of the larger resorts in PDC. Worth checking out if "beach" is important!

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 08:08 AM
Sidney

We spent Christmas 1997 in Puerto Vallarta with our children and had a great time. The weather was perfect!!! The resorts you mentioned I believe are north of PV. I would suggest staying more in the "old town" area, just south of the river, where you get a much better feel of the real PV. It's just beautiful; much, much prettier than the Nuevo Vallarta area (where we have also stayed). Hope this helps!

Old May 2nd, 1999, 02:42 PM
sara

o.k.
pv is not as "disneyland-ish" as cancun. pv and the surrounding towns are very non-commercialized and will give you a truer sense of what a beach town in mexico should be. if you would like to rent a car while there, let me know. i own a vw beetle. one suggestion, fly into guadalajara- its cheaper. from there, rent a car and drive down to pv. its an amazing experience and very safe.
ten un super viaje.

Old May 7th, 1999, 04:54 PM
Dolly

I've been to both places and I would recommend Cancun over PV any day. I spent 2 weeks in PV and it was ok at first, but as time went on I found things that weren't to pleasant. First was the beaches where not always clean in the morning. They burn their garbage or dump it in the ocean and it washes up on the beach. We swam the whole time in the pool. Also we had a unpleasant shopping experience in a market down town. I had my foot stomped on about 5 times by 5 different women and could barly get back to the hotel. Do I need to say more? As for Cancun, it's a completely different story. It's beaches are powder white and the water is clean and beautiful, The people are friendly, helpful and a pleasure, and the Mayan ruins are a must see. The two are like night and day. I always stay at the Palace Resorts where everything is included, Food, drinks, tours. Once you enter the resort you don't need to spend a dime if you don't want to.
I vote for Cancun.