PV in March/April

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 02:11 PM
Tracey

PV in March/April

I am planning a getaway with 5 other couples in March/April 2000 for my husbands 30th. birthday. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in Puerto Vallarta at that time. Also, how safe is the city and public transportation day/night. We will be staying in a private villa and will not be within walking distance to town. We will be traveling with a 1 1/2 year old, any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 04:28 PM
Cheryl Z.

Tracey, for the last l5 years or so, we've been in PV every March/April ('cept this year, went to Spain/Portugal instead). Lots of sun, warm, maybe hot but bearable. Not as humid as June, July etc. Some rain at night or late afternoons. Usually a breeze late afternoon. We always use the taxis, safe and cheap. Have used the bus too - also cheap and quite an experience but safe. We've taken taxis late at night all the way from past Mismoloya to our condo on North end of town, also taken the bus from town out to Punta de Mita and back. If you are there around Easter, it will be a busy and crowded weekend with locals and people from inland coming for the holiday. If its spring break in the US, it will be more crowded too. But still very enjoyable. Have you been to PV before, and where is the villa? I've posted restaurant info before on here and if you've read any of my msgs you know I love PV. If you want more info, would be happy to help. Mexicans are very family oriented and will love visiting with your child.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 05:44 PM
Janis

My hubby and I go to PV every April for usually 3 weeks. We have yet to see a raindrop. The weather has always been just perfect. Easter week can be quite crowded. Same with Spring break. Otherwise, the winter tourists have thinned out and PV is at its most enjoyable. Getting around is quite easy either via cab or bus. We have always felt very safe in PV. Just use common sense. Do not go off the beaten track late at night. Stay in the well-lit areas where the tourists are. This is the same practice that should be followed in any city, PV is no different. On the AOL message boards on Mexico, there has been quite a huge discussion of the rash of credit card fraud that is being committed in Mexico. If you can limit your credit card usage to a minimum, if at all, it would be a good idea. It happened to me a few years ago in Cancun, and ever since, I have only used travellers checks. But quite a few others have been burned for large amounts. The credit card companies have removed the fraudulent charges in most cases, but the cancellation of the the old card, paperwork needed to complete, and the awaiting of the new card can be quite a hassle. That is the only criminal activity that I have ever seen posted or heard about in PV. Enjoy.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 10:06 AM
Tracey

Cheryl & Janis - Thank you both very much for the information on PV. Our group has never been to PV before and we are really looking forward to it. Thanks for reminding me of Spring Break crowds. The villa that we will be staying is in Conchas Chinas. I really don't know anything about that area, but the villa is beautiful and big enough to accommodate our large group. Thanks again.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 02:01 PM
Cheryl Z.

Me again -
Conchas Chinas is south of town, but not too far out and that area is really scenic, my favorite area. The North end where we are (towards the marina) is flat. You picked a great area. One of our favorite restaurants is near - El Set, great food/view/ambiance. There's also El Setito, their smaller restaurant below, right on the beach, where we love to have breakfast. Janis's comment about the cc fraud reminded me of what happened to us so I'll just pass this on as a warning: we and our friends were victimized this way a few years ago. But I keep all our cc receipts (usually always write down on receipt the US dollar amount, and what it was for if name of establishment not familiar for easier reference in future). When my husband reviewed our cc statement (he's always good at doing this!) once we got home, he found some charge for over $600.00 and the name of the establishment was not familiar. It didn't match up with any of my receipts either, and this was not an amount that we would have spent on anything and forgotten. So he notified the cc company (was either visa or mc I think), they took the charge off, and investigated it. He also asked them to send him a copy of the the actual receipt that they had. When we got it, it was not either of our signatures. Then our friends told us the same thing was happening but their charge was over $l,000.00 They too notified their cc company, charge was taken off and investigated. They also asked for copy of the charge - not their signatures either. They'd kept all their receipts too. We compared all our receipts, checking the receipts actual number, and finally figured out, because of the numerical sequence, that someone in a restaurant (that we still go to) had taken a blank charge form, run it thru another machine with another name, and processed that. Probably a waiter or someone had a little scam going on. As I said, we still frequent this restaurant, one of our favorites as a matter of fact, and we still use our cc there. This could happen at any touristy place I imagine, and so it's just very important to keep track of your receipts, and don't hesitate to contact the cc company immediately. They never hassled us, were very concerned and cooperative with us. Have a great trip - You'll love it down there.

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 07:41 AM
cor

Dear Tracey, I saw your message and I have a very good tip for you: contact Royale Tours Puerto Vallarta. They are great and can arrange anything for you in advance, from transfers from the airport to the hotel, useful information both before you travel as well as while you are there, etc. etc.
We went with a small group and someone recommended me to contact them as well. They arranged a sailing boat only for us for a sunset cruise , which was just great, and we also did a tour of the city with a van for 10 persons with an excellent guide, everything was just perfect. I will give you their e-mail , it is [email protected]
They also have a good web-site but I don't remember what it is called.
You will love Puerto Vallarta, it is a great place, but it is definitely worth it to arrange some things in advance so that you are not spending your first two days looking for what to do and when and where. Have a great time !

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 03:51 PM
lynne

If you go make sure to take the Caletas at Night tour - really beautiful! You go by boat at sunset to an island that doesn't have electricity (lit by torches) and they serve you a very nice dinner. There is an after dinner preColumbian ballet as well!! Very memorable and VERY romantic!! Not to be missed...

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 02:55 PM
edward barber

I agree about the Caletas by Night - cruise. We did this cruise when we were in PVR last May. Good recommendation!