Search

PV Hotels: Grand Velas or Dreams?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PV Hotels: Grand Velas or Dreams?

Hi all,

We are headed to Puerto Vallarta for a three-night getaway in April. Husband has a trip, and while I would prefer the white sand/blue water of playa, we will spend a few days in PV.

I've narrowed to two hotels: The Grand Velas Resort and Spa and the Dreams Puerto Vallarta. The most important things to us during vacation are 1)Food (not food snobs, but being able to enjoy it is imperative!) 2) Wine/drinks (do not want to spend a fortune just to drink crummy house wine and well liquor) 3) Beach--usually this is the first, most important, item on my list but my expectations have been tempered for PV.

We are a married couple in our 30's, so would prefer not to be completely surrounded by toddlers, but my initial research shows that shouldn't be a big issue at these two resorts.

I have found the price difference between the two resorts to be approx $600 (total for the three nights) more for Grand Velas. My specific question is, will we enjoy the Grand Velas ($600) more than the Dreams PV--even for such a quick trip?

Thanks so much for your help and expertise!
stace99
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm thinking if you are somewhat particular (picky) about food and beverage it might be worth the upcharge.

Have you read Tripadvisor both reviews & in the PV destinatino forum for these two properties? I know Dreams has a great beach but is an older hotel located outside downtown Vallarta to the south.

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Suze,

Yes, have read the tripadvisors back to last fall for both. They each seem to have good overall reviews, and beach is such a subjective topic, I can't seem to get a good read on the those at either resort. My overall feel is that the Nuevo Vallarta area has nicer beaches, although the hotel and candid pictures seem to show that Dreams has a wider beach.

Thanks for the quick answer and any other expertise you can provide.

Best,
Stace99
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hopefully someone else will chime in. I spend a lot of time in PV, but I always stay in a hotel right downtown, so have no direct experience with either of the resorts you mention.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Well the most obvious comment is that Grand Velas isn't in Puerto Vallarta.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:55 AM

All depends if youw ant to be in P.V. or not I wouldn't consider Nuevo Vallarta close to anything. I have been to Dreams when it was the Camino Real a few yrs ago Lovely place although it was not all inclusive then. In my opinion If I were you I would go for Dreams close to everything and the best beach in P.V. Good Luck check with tripadvisor.com
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 05:55 AM

I was in Puerto Vallarta last year. The first thing I would say is if you want to go to "Mexico", don't stay in Nuevo Vallarta. It is a 20 minute drive to get to PV, and you will want to go there a lot. If you are looking just to go to a beach, then it probably doesn't matter which one to go to. I didn't stay at dreams, but I heard it was nice (we were just down the beach from there) and I think it is adults only which is a huge plus (the hotel I stayed at was not, and there were obnoxious children everywhere, urinating right next to the pool). Nuevo Vallarta is a closed community that seems like is is made for Americans and you might as well go to Florida. Puerto Vallarta has a million good restaurants (try La Palapa) and things to do. However, stay away from the boat tours, because they are simply booze cruises and nothing else.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Hi, my husband and I stayed at Dreams Oct. '05 and are returning this fall. We loved it. The beach there is private and the waves are amazing. Any questions, please feel free to email me.

[email protected]
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:56 AM

I would choose Dreams having been there previously under a different hotel name I can tell you it has the best beach in P.V. I have heard the food is good although I personally do not like all inclusive it is a close cab ride into town maybe 5 minutes. It is a private beach and I really liked it. Grand Velas is in Nuevo and you definitely would not be in P.V. much. Just came back from P.V. the 17th of March going back again in NOv . Can't get enough of it. Good Luck and Enjoy
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:16 PM

I agree w/ Butsey. Dreams is a lot less money, and in a better location. I'd use the money I saved at Dreams, and go into wonderful downtown PV for some great dinners.