Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   PV-Casa Andrea or Krystal? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/pv-casa-andrea-or-krystal-372678/)

mohan Oct 30th, 2003 07:29 AM

PV-Casa Andrea or Krystal?

It is just the 2 of us, middle-age, young at heart. Heard so much of Casa Andrea. But we came across a package. Krystal is 20+% cheaper. Every 3 nites one nite free. It is 5 star-rated. The location can be made by $3 taxi ride. CA is quant and cool and cozy. You guys always give good advice. maybe u can tell me something that i don't know.

butsey Oct 30th, 2003 07:55 AM

if you go to the Krystal be prepared to do a lot of walking the resort is spread out they have many different bldgs called Villas, My husband & I have stayed there a few times but that was over 10 years ago, it was a beautiful property, many gazebos, many flowers I really liked it. There are many many pools I never so so many pools in my life at one hotel, it is really spread out though and they do have a few restaurants, if you like to walk this is the place for you. One more thing if you don't like to walk you can call the front desk and they send a golf cart to pick you up. I don't have any info on Casa Andrea, look on trip advisor.com they have a lot of info on most hotels

mohan Oct 30th, 2003 08:30 AM

hi butsey: trip advisor has nothing on casa andrea. What is written on krystal ranges from good to most nasty. The impression I got is that the hotel is going downhill. But it is still in all the guidebooks as a good 5 star hotel. The many pools, the message and the beach front is good and yet CA is intimate and central.

loangalsal Oct 30th, 2003 12:09 PM

I have stayed at Krystal many times. It has beautiful grounds and is right on the ocean. The walking was a joy there rather than a chore because of the beauty. I guess I would say the comment that it might be "going downhill" is not necessarily wrong, but maybe a bit overstated IMHO. I was happier there in earlier years, and I have not seen the new tower they just built (I would LOVE to hear from someone who has seen it!). If I was going without children, I would think Casa Andrea would be wonderful from what I have heard about it (small, personal, charming, etc), my only hesitation there is that it is not on the beach. If I make a trip without my daughter sometime, I would love to try that place. You probably can't go wrong either place, just decide how important the beach is to you and if you want a small quaint place or more of a resort feeling. Good luck!

butsey Oct 31st, 2003 05:30 AM

Mohan, like I have previously stated I was there about 10years ago I loved it my husband prefers a high rise hotel. From what I have read in the various reviews is that it is not the hotel it was when I was there. I am going to recommend the Camino Real it is a great hotel not too expensive we were just there in March and really loved it the beach is the best beach I have been on in P. Vallarta and the scenery is just unbelievable. The staff is very friendly
and I am sure you will love it. Check it out

JRinPV Oct 31st, 2003 06:30 AM

That's like comparing oranges and apples.
Casa Andrea is a small, charming hotel located within walking distance to just about everything.
The Krystal is a big tourist hotel on the hotel strip, requiring a bus or taxi to get anywhere.
Casa Andrea wins 'hands down' it's worth it.

mohan Nov 1st, 2003 07:03 AM

thanks. it is going to be casa andrea. wish they have more pix and info on the website. can't wait.

suze Nov 1st, 2003 11:51 AM

I have stayed at Casa Andrea twice recently. It is gorgeous, charming, peaceful, quiet at night. I compare it to staying in the home of my well-to-do Mexican relatives (if only I had some!).

It would be impossible to compare it to Krystal, night and day. Not better or worse just couldn't be more different. Andrea only has 10 casita units around a garden, courtyard, swimming pool, palapa bar and patio.

It is barely a block in from the pier at Playa Los Muertos, for the poster who was concerned about not being right on the beach.

As far as the website photos, the good thing about them is it really IS that beautiful. Enjoy!

mohan Nov 1st, 2003 05:52 PM

thanks suze. You are one of the reasons I choose Casa Andrea. One more question: how big is the swimming pool? I think i came across someone saying it is a pool for standing only.
ps I am not expecting olimpic size. As long as I can stretch and do several strokes back and forth is all i need.

suze Nov 1st, 2003 06:15 PM

It's normal size like a private home pool. I don't think there's a deep end to dive into (maybe that's what was meant by standing only) but you can certainly take a few strokes back and forth. There's a pretty little waterfall that comes into the pool from behind some ferns. Also a jacuzzi. Maybe 6-8 wrought iron lounge chairs with nice cushions. An outdoor shower for when you come in from the beach. A hammock and a couple chairs and table in the shade.

jlh370 Nov 2nd, 2003 03:35 PM

If you email me I can send you a link to my photos. We spent our first night of our honeymoon at Casa Andrea. I have some good pics of the rooms, tool.

[email protected]