Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   PV - Camino Real or Westin (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/pv-camino-real-or-westin-199696/)

Tess Apr 15th, 2002 07:46 AM

PV - Camino Real or Westin

Have it narrowed to these two hotels. Going in May. Which would be the better choice or is it a draw? Does Camino Real have the timeshare sales people like the Westin does?

local facts Apr 15th, 2002 09:04 AM

Tess~ The Westin is in the Marina/hotel strip, north of town, near the airport, with all the other big hotels and resorts lined up in a row by the side of the highway. Camino Real sits on its own beach about 5-10 min. taxi ride south of town. Location-wise it is no contest which is nicer!<BR><BR>I have not stayed at either hotel, because they're out of my price range, and even if I could, I prefer the Old Town area family-run Mexican places.<BR><BR>Use the search function on this site because there's been ALOT of discussion about these two places recently.

John K Apr 15th, 2002 09:06 AM

Hi Tess,<BR>I'm going back to the Camino Real for the third time at the end of May. I have never been bothered by any timeshare sales people there. It's a great hotel located just south of town. The staff are friendly and helpful and respect your privacy. If you do decide to stay at the Camino Real I would suggest you reserve a room in the Camino Real Club which is the newer and fancier of the two buildings. If you want any more information just let me know.

Monica Apr 15th, 2002 09:11 AM

Tess: I've actually stayed at both hotels. I have to agree, hands down, I preferred Camino Real for location, private beach, service, etc. The Westin hotel itself is nice, but there's really no beach to speak of and the location (Marina area) is a lot busier. No timeshare people at Camino Real.

tess Apr 15th, 2002 09:22 AM

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the Camino Real is just what we are looking for.

Brad Apr 15th, 2002 05:52 PM

I spent 8 nights at Camino in February and loved it. Right on the beach, nice rooms, and a short (and cheap) cab ride into town. I'd go back there again in a minute.

liza Apr 16th, 2002 02:24 AM

Tess--<BR>Are you planning to reserve directly with the hotel or some other way? Do you know if there are specials or discounts at any and about what are the rates? Thanks

earl Apr 16th, 2002 04:20 AM

Tess, We have stayed at eight Camino Real properties, all over Mexico, and loved them all. We normally travel in the off season and are able to get very good rates. Book directly with CR The no is 1-800-7-CAMINO and ask if the More Mexico for Less package is available. They also offer packages that include a great breakfast buffet and an evening cocktail hour. Some of the CR hotels even offer a 4th night free option. Eme if you would like more info.

tess Apr 16th, 2002 06:34 AM

Liza,<BR>We went with Apple vacations. It was a better deal for us because of the airfare, but it did make our schedule a little less flexible.

$$$$$ Apr 16th, 2002 09:31 AM

For Liza~ the rates as posted on the Camino Real website are $235-$350US per night.