Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Pure Trek Costa Rica, worse company ever!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/pure-trek-costa-rica-worse-company-ever-833334/)

Eve0911 Mar 29th, 2010 03:14 PM

Pure Trek Costa Rica, worse company ever!!

Do not fall for their trick.

This last January my husband and I booked the canyoning tour with the company for the time that we were going to stay in Arenal CR. We contacted the company and asked for a reservation and we were told that we needed to send a credit card authorization to hold the reservation and that our credit card will not be charged just until the day of the tour. We followed the requirement trusting the company and also read their cancellation policy which clearly states that it is within 24 hours. Unfortunately, when we got to Costa Rica the weather was not the best so two days before our scheduled tour we called the company and canceled our reservation. The representative we talked to clearly told us not to worry that our credit card was not charged and that no other steps where necessary. To our surprise when we return from the vacation we see in our statements the charge made by Pure Trek in our credit card. When I contacted them again they told me that they did not know how it happened and that they will send me the money. It has been 4 months since then and so far every time I call they keep telling me the same, even the supposed owner called me telling me that she sent me the check through the mail and apologizing for the mistake. I never received the check and when I tried to get in touch with her she did not answer my calls or emails. Now I'm left dealing alone with the credit card company because of my stupidity in trusting them.
It is very disrespectful to treat your customers like that. I have never felt more frustrated and insulted by a company who claims to be the best in their service. If that is the way you treat your customers in that simple matter I would not trust them in any other aspect let alone doing rappelling.

MonicaRichards Mar 29th, 2010 05:57 PM

Why didn't you just dispute the charge with your credit card company?

tully Mar 29th, 2010 06:32 PM

Since it's been only 2 months, not 4 I believe, I would dispute the charge the your CC, these things can take a couple months to clear the charges. Also, the mail can be notoriously bad in CR, it's quite likely she did send you a check and it is lost, would've been better if they'd refunded directly to the card. I've never used Pure Trek but have heard consistent good things about them, sounds like a misunderstanding, not a qualifier as worst company ever.

hipvirgochick Mar 29th, 2010 07:54 PM

I'm very sorry about your bad experience, as tully mentioned above this company usually gets rave reviews, so hopefully this was an isolated incident. Frankly, I'm surprised you would be offered a refund with short notice, unless for some reason they couldn't do the tour, but it sound like that was their intention. I would think disputing with your cc company will take care of everything.

Hope you had a nice time in Costa Rica besides this incident...it looks like this is your only post about this beautiful country.

qwovadis Mar 30th, 2010 05:02 AM

you just need to do a merchant reversal

with your credit card company...

Always get my money back that way.

Look on the bright side

at least you did not wire them money.

One poor guy lost over $10K doing that recently in Peru

qwovadis Mar 30th, 2010 05:03 AM

www.desafiocostarica.com always tops in that area for me...