Puntarenas tours

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Dave Lynn

Puntarenas tours

We are going on a cruise next March which stops on the central coast of Costa Rica near Puntarenas. We're wondering if anyone has any opinions about any of our excursion options: either Sky Walk, Carara Biological Reserve or La Paz Waterfall-Hummingbird Garden-Trail of Falls tour?

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Terri

Dave: You really can't go wrong with any of these. Carara is the closest to your port and would be probably be my choice based on that fact alone. Sky Walk is wonderful, but is at least a 3-1/2 hour ride on good to horrible roads in each direction from Puntarenas. I'm not sure exactly how far Puntarenas is from La Paz, but I'm going to take an educated guess at approx. 3 hours each way over good roads. Carara, on the other hand, is approx. 1-1/2 hours from Puntarenas.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Carara

Hi! The cruise tour page suggests long pants and long sleeves. Does that mean it is buggy? In January? Would it be muddy in Jan? Thanks for the info

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Monica

Go to Carara! We saw scarlet macaws there and a host of lizards. They also have leaf cutter ants (okay, they're everywhere but in Carara they are so dense that it's easy to take pictures). The reason they are telling you long sleeves and pants is that there are mosquitos there like you would never believe! But I think you'd be awfully hot if you followed that advice, so personally I would just use a good bug repellant.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 06:01 PM
mary

We preferred the Sky Walk Tour (Monteverde Cloud Forest) over Cararra. Thought it was boring. We didn't see anything when we went in March. If you've seen one forest, you've seen them all.