Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Punta Mita in August (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/punta-mita-in-august-686908/)

schemmer Mar 11th, 2007 01:26 PM

Punta Mita in August

My wife and I are planning an August trip with our three small children to the Four Seasons in Punta Mita. We know it will be hot and humid...are we foolish to make such a trip in August due to heat and mosquito concerns? My wife and kids will be happy to dip in the pool and ocean as needed. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Bill_H Mar 11th, 2007 03:54 PM

About 10 years ago our local airline began non-stop service to Vallarta and offered $50 tix in Aug - Oct to kick it off (I think $112 roundtrip). So we went to Vallarta in August to scout it out (and returned in Oct) ...

You're right about the heat and humidity but it wasn't any worse than most US cities in August. I don't remember any big problems with mosquitos around the resorts where we were.

The rain clouds would build up in the afternoon and several nights it rained (a couple of nights it REALLY rained) but in the daytime it didn't rain much if at all, at least the days we were there.

So it wasn't all that bad, probably similar to vacationing in Florida that time of year ... one thing I'll mention is apparently many Mexicans vacation with their kids in August so the hotels were swarming with Mexican children, so if you could put the trip off until when their school starts you'll feel less crowded. Though I doubt many Mexicans vacation at the Four Seasons Punta Mita ...

It's also the hurricane season (just like in Florida) and there's a chance one will pass by close enough to give you some heavy rains and possibly high winds since you're on the point.

If I were you I'd go but make contingency plans in case there's a storm.

Bill

JohnK Mar 11th, 2007 03:58 PM

Hi, I have been to Puerto Vallarta about 10 times and in August twice and I'm planning another trip for the end of this August. It's hot and humid (about 90 degree high) most days and there can be thunderstorms. I'm from New York and I'd compare the weather to July here at home. As far as I'm concerned I am there to relax and swim in the ocean and the weather has never interfered with that more than maybe waiting for a thunderstorm to pass. I've never had any issues with mosquitos or any other bugs. I also like August in Puerto Vallarta because it is low season and everything is very low key.

ahdzp Mar 15th, 2007 04:55 AM

Mr. Bill H,

Your comments about Mexican people sound very racists, if you do not want to be around Mexicans DO NOT GO TO MEXICO

Mexican children are like any other children, Mexican people are like any other people, so please do not do that.

Mexicans are good,bad, rich, poor, like any other people.

Little_Man Mar 15th, 2007 02:15 PM

I've been there in late July, and while very hot and humid, it was still enjoyable, and the only time of year we could afford it~! Didn't see any mosquitos to speak of, just lots of sand crabs, which were neat.