Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Punta Mita (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/punta-mita-1015530/)

Skiergirl May 27th, 2014 05:07 PM

Punta Mita

A friend and I are debating whether to go to Punta Mita the last week of July/early August for a week to relax and specifically do some Stand-Up Paddle Boarding. I've never heard of this town until doing the research (our first choice is Costa Rica but waiting to hear back from a specific company). Will it be very hot at that time? Is it rainy season? We are considering the Hotel Cinco. Any input would be greatly appreciated. We are in our early 40s and would love some nightlife, but are not wanting nor expecting crazy late nights! Seems like there is a variety of restaurants and that would be fine with us. Thank you!

cabron May 28th, 2014 07:31 AM

Yes it's rainy season and will be hot, but not as bad as Costa Rica. Not much nightlife out there, it's over an hour to Puerto Vallarta, but there's some live music in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, which is closer.

suze May 28th, 2014 08:49 AM

Yes it's rainy season and very hot in July/August.

You'd fly into Puerto Vallarta international airport (PVR) then would get a car, bus, taxi heading north about 1 hour to get to the small town of Punta Mita.

I'm not aware of much nightlife out that way? It's kinda 'middle of nowhere'. Larger towns would be Sayulita, or back towards the airport to Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta itself (where you'd want to be for significant 'nightlife', it's a city with loads to see and do).

Rohelio May 28th, 2014 11:05 AM

Mexico's rainy season usually starts around late May and runs till early October. It's not so much the heat but the humidity that gets to you and weights you down, A/C is a definite must. I have been to Punta Mita but once and have to say that if you are looking for restaurants and some kind of night life... this is not the place. There are so many great places to choose from in Mexico... why Punta Mita ???

suze Jun 4th, 2014 07:58 AM

I thought of this thread because there is a small article about SUP in this month's National Geo Traveler magazine.

They recommended first and foremost Kauai, Hawaii, and also surprising (to me) Lake Tahoe and Key West as recommended places to do this sport.

TrvlMaven Jun 9th, 2014 08:55 PM

Sayulita might fit your bill. . .Playa Escondida is an excellent place to stay!

suze Jun 10th, 2014 10:42 AM

There's definitely more going on in Sayulita than Punta Mita.

cabron Jun 11th, 2014 07:10 AM

The rainy season here traditionally starts in mid June and ends mid October, since climate change tradition has lost. Last year it started one month later and this year it was 2 weeks early. Depending on what you're used to, AC may be necessary, I've never had AC for over 20 years, don't like it and believe it's unhealthy. Punta de Mita is not a town it's an area of very upscale resorts, like the Four Seasons. Next door is El Anclote beach which has a village where the bus stops. That's where you'll find Stand-Up Paddle Boarding. But they are appearing all around the bay, these days.
Punta de Mita is about 1 hour away from Puerto Vallarta. Sayulita about an hour and a half.