Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Viejo How Young? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-viejo-how-young-676414/)

RAL Feb 3rd, 2007 03:34 PM

Puerto Viejo How Young?

I've read that PV attracts a young crowd and could be kind of "spring breaky". We are just a little concerned that a couple of "middle agers" won't feel to out of place if its overly young. We really do not need the night life just a couple of days to relax and get some good dinners. Chose PV because on way back to SJ we can get some rafting in on Pacuare. Is PV worth the 4-5 hour ride.

Earthtraveler Feb 3rd, 2007 05:21 PM

For the wife and I (early 50's)the draw of Puerto Viejo is the beautiful Punta Uva beach 6 kms south and Casa Viva cabin rentals in Dave's tropical gardens beachside. Pure Bliss.
The town is far enough away to be out of mind until we want some dinner out or tunes. It must be worth the drive for us as were headed back for our 4th time in March.

guanacaste Feb 4th, 2007 05:35 AM

PV is éasy´not really a ´spring breakers´destination like Jaco.
More hippies, surfers, rastas, weed and reggae.
Punta Uva is nice as is Playa Cocles:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/puerto...ome/index.html

RAL Feb 4th, 2007 06:44 AM

ET

We will be in PV for 3 days and leaving home in 14.

Approximately how long is drive,
and anything worth stopping for on the way. On the way back, we are going to do some white water rafting so no time for scenery.

Any advice for the area or must do's in PV (i.e. location of best hammack, restaurants, etc.)

rbrazill Feb 4th, 2007 11:44 AM

There are two different towns in eastern Costa Rica named Puerto Viejo. Puerto Viejo Sarapiqui is located near the Pacuare River and I think this may be the one you are thinking about. The Puerto Viejo which the other posters are writing about is on the Caribbean Coast, south of Limon. It is not on the way back from Pacuare to San Jose. From Pacuare, you would basically have to drive back into San Jose and then drive another 3.5 hours to Puerto Viejo. The Puerto Viejo they are discussing is beautiful. I second the recommendations of Puerto Uva and Cocles. You might also consider Manzanillo. But it is a long drive from where you are rafting. If you do drive to the Caribbean Coast, have lunch or dinner at Pecora Nera, one of the nicest Italian restaurants in Costa Rica.

RAL Feb 4th, 2007 12:30 PM

It is Puerto Viejo Talamanaca.
There is an outfit who picks up in the morning in PV and drops in afternoon in San Jose after rafting. I don't believe you have to go all the way back to San Jose, I think the rafting area is near Siquirres so it is kind of on the way back to San Jose.

Earthtraveler Feb 4th, 2007 08:38 PM

I think the rafting ends in Siquirres. Ours did and we put in northeast from Turrialba - the classic Pacuare raft trip.
The Gonzales Ranger Station in Braulio Carrillo Nat Park along Hwy 32 has a loop trail which is nice for a jungle walk. I wouldn't leave luggage visible in a SUV though to hike it. May be OK in a trunk parked within the sation entrance.

The drive is about 4-5 hrs to PV from San Jose.

I really don't know the restaurants well in PV as we usually cook our own meals. We were sorely disappointed with our meal and service at Roxie's in Manzanillo last year. The year before it was decent but we heard the place has been going through some difficulty. Selvin's near Playa Chiquita can be good.

We've enjoyed some awesome reggae and jazz at Loco Natural in PV. Some mention the food being good.

I here Pecora Nera praised often.

Have a wonderful journey!

shillmac Feb 5th, 2007 05:57 PM

La Pecora Nera is wonderful as is Totem Restaurant (Totem hotel). Do give them both a try--if you like Italiano!

Actually, the Pacuare CAN be on the way back from Puerto Viejo (at least put-in is) --if you turn south toward Turrialba at Siquirres. We returned by this route once and really enjoyed the drive--beautiful country.

I always think of the Pacuare as being more down in this part of the country (Talamanca)--I guess I didn't realize it ran up near Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui as well! That's further north and further west than I thought the Pacuare was located.

colinsito Feb 7th, 2007 05:18 PM

Puerto Viejo is definitely NOT for everyone. Rumour has it they used to call it Home of The Least Wanted or Most Wanted.

I would say the spring break types would be in Pacific places like Nosara or Tamarindo. Most of the young travellers here could care less about college.

As for rafting trip. Exploradores Outdoors picks up and drops of in San Jose, Arenal and Puerto Viejo.

shillmac Feb 7th, 2007 05:35 PM

Ya know what? I suppose PV ISN'T for everyone. Pretty sure some of my friends would feel a little out of place. And you can bet they wouldn't be caught dead there. And that's fine with me--makes it less crowded! :) But for those who don't mind the "difference folks, different strokes" atmosphere, it's quite fun! :)

Hey, we're 50's, schoolteachers from the conservative Bible belt. We are Christians, have been active in missionary work, etc. I mention that because many people might not think we'd fit the mold for enjoying PV area. Guess again! We like it there a lot. We love the restaurants, riding bicycles between PV and Manzanillo, having a cool Imperial on the beach at the end of "the ride", and hiking thorough primary forest with a local guide. It's a great place for birding.

It doesn't bother us that we're not "part of the typical crowd". Who cares? We have our own reasons for going there, mentioned above. Not sure what everyone else's reasons are--probably don't want to know! ;)

You know yourselves. If you're pretty tolerant and don't mind being in the minority, no worries! There WILL be others there who are also "middle agers" as you put it. It attracts all kinds---I wouldn't spend another moment worrying about it if I were you.
I've heard the same concerns raised about the Montezuma area--love it there too! Guess it makes us feel kinda young and crazy again! :)

RHR Feb 7th, 2007 06:31 PM

Shillmac, I am travelling with RAL and your wise advise has put us at ease. Unlike yourself, we are from an area (NYC) where there is so much diversity and in retrospect, this is one of the reasons why we chose PV. From what I've read and from the experience on our two previous trips, it sounds more and more as if this is the type of area for us. We stayed at other places and we didn't care very much for the contrived (i.e. Peace Lodge) and feeling of not being in Costa Rica. We also want to get here before everybody else starts the trek. Ten more days before we leave. As for the Imperials, I can not wait.

guanacaste Feb 8th, 2007 07:54 AM

i agree with shillimac 100%- in PV or Montefuma, Costa Rica anywhere, no one cares about that kind of stuff down here.
PV and Montezuma are 'different' but great places to visit lots of beautiful beaches in the immediate area, food is better on the Caribbean, hotels are a bit cheaper and in both places the visitors and locals are a bit more 'diversified' than in Guanacaste!

colinsito Feb 8th, 2007 11:00 AM

As a resident here in PV, I am only so ever greatful that PV is not for everyone.

The "Disney Set" would not fare out well here.

shillmac Feb 8th, 2007 06:35 PM

LOL--no, that's for sure! I always smile a bit when we are there, thinking how some of our friends would raise their eyebrows! And catch the first "train" back to Hawaii or Cancun! :)

elesspee Feb 9th, 2007 02:25 PM

First day we were ever in P.V. there was an elderly gentleman walking up and down the beach wearing nothing but sandals and a smile. Boy did he ever look blissed out... and sunburned after a while
We're in our midfifties, and love it there.

RHR Feb 10th, 2007 12:27 PM

We hope we miss him !!!

RAL Feb 26th, 2007 03:37 PM

Got back yesterday from CR and went to PV in the beggining of our trip. It was a very interesting place.

They need to hire a couple of dog catchers!

Spent 3 nights at Azania which was adequate and thankfully located in Cocles which is 2-3 km south of the town.

Cariblue is situated right next door which I considered to be a better choice of hotels.

Got lucky and was able to get a two day car rental in PV. It made the difference for us to have that mobility.

Went south to Manzillo and north to Cahuitta and the sloth refuge.

Some good restaurants with Amodo being a great find. It was pouring so hard and we couldn't get a cab, we were prepared to get soaked and the restaurants owner pulled up in his car and drove us back to our hotel. What a lifesaver. I can just see that happening on the Upper East side.

Had a great time, the area is beatiful but would probably not return, until there are more flights into Limon.

Also we prefer being woken by the Howlers as oppososed to dogs and roosters!

Left Azania about 6:00 am and got in some rafting on the Pacuare before being dropped in San Jose.

guanacaste Feb 26th, 2007 04:16 PM

The mutts are pretty much everywhere in CR!
the Caribbean is a bit more effort to get to than Guanacaste, but thats an advantage for some!

scout4 Feb 26th, 2007 04:27 PM

I highly recommend the restaurant El Loco Natural... the service was slow but the food was good and it has a nice vibe. Selvyns is also great - very laid back :) La Pecora Nera was recommended to us...we didn't love it, but maybe just ordered the wrong thing. In terms of hotel, I agree with previous posts that suggest you stay somewhere down the road from PV towards Punta Uva and Manzanillo. I enjoyed Azania & have heard good things about Cabinas Itaita

RHR Feb 26th, 2007 06:01 PM

The dogs are more plentiful in Puerto Viejo than anywhere we have ever been in the country.

I was speaking with the owner (Edwin) of Tamara restaurant who is also a lifelong resident of PV and asked what he thought has changed most over the past few years and his response was the amount of stray dogs there are.

We also ate at La Pecora Nera and found it to be above average, however, nothing special.