Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Puerto Vallerta - Sheraton, Westin, or Krystal Vallarta

Apr 9th, 2002, 11:30 AM
joan

Got a similar price for these 3 hotels. Which would be the best choice in terms of accomodations, ammenities, location, beach, etc.

Apr 9th, 2002, 12:06 PM
beach alert

Well, they're all in either the Marina (Westin) or the Hotel Zone (Krystal, Sheraton) which are between the airport and downtown PV. I would definitely double-check on CURRENT beach conditions, because there has been rough weather and some of the narrow beaches behind the various hotels have been washed away this season.

Apr 9th, 2002, 02:32 PM
loangalsal

I have stayed at the Krysal about 6 or 7 times, toured the Westin, driven by the Sheraton. All 3 are very different. The Sheraton is a high rise hotel in the hotel zone, but that's about all I can tell except for the website photos. Westin is a beautiful hotel, spotless, and very contemporary in design, but the beach is pretty much non-existent. It is in the Marina area. The pool area is beautiful but too much in the shade for our tastes. We choose the Krystal because it is a low rise hotel with many acres of landscaping (33 acres I think), 3 distinctly different pool areas and a wonderful breakfast buffet in a restaurant that is right on the ocean (in January we watched dolphins jumping one morning over breakfast and whales the next!). The main pool area is right on the beach, huge with 2 swim up bars. Then there is a pool with a water slide for the kids, and then a very quiet pool that is much more laid back and great for reading a book. The beach is pretty good there. The service at the hotel is OK, I would certainly not call it a 5 star hotel, but I love the feel of the place. Be sure to ask for a room away from Christines which is the Disco on site that is very loud late into the night. The Krystal also offers the BEST massage I have ever had in my life for a very cheap cost, and they do the massages right on the beach in a little hut type of thing. The only reason I would stay anywhere else is to stay at the Camino Real for unmatched service and beach area (but it is more expensive) or to stay right in downtown for the total PV city experience. Oh, you are making me miss PV!!!

Apr 9th, 2002, 04:03 PM
joan

Thanks for the good descriptions and advice. I think my order of preference has changed. I had considered Camino Real but I think it was about $100 more a night per person for the Apple package.

Apr 9th, 2002, 04:28 PM
bill

Does the Camino Real offer better deals? And, what about places to stay in Old Town? Any ideas?

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:13 PM
loangalsal

Forgot to warn you about timeshare! You will run into it probably at most places, but at the Krystal some of the hotel is timeshare. So, the "information booths" at the hotel are actually timeshare sales booths. Last time I was there, they even come up to you when you are waiting to check in and tell you they work for the hotel (not really) and to come and see them for information after you check in. So, BEWARE! I have learned to firmly say NO THANK YOU! and it is not a problem, but they can waste alot of your vacation time if you are not careful.

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:23 PM
loangalsal

Hope this doesn't post twice, my response is lost in cyber-space! I forgot to warn you about timeshare sales. You will see it at the Krystal at the "information booths" at the hotel as part of the hotel is timeshare. They are pretty good about backing off with a firm "no thank you" but they can waste alot of your vacation time if you get "sucked in" to a presentation. They will even come up to you when in line to check in and tell you to stop by for information... Timeshare pitches are getting very overwhelming in PV as in many vacation destinations, but I have learned to keep away from them.

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:23 PM
joan

Oops - I meant $100 more for the 4 night package per person NOT $100 more per night. Is the Camino Real worth that difference in price over the other 3?

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:32 PM
loangalsal

Boy, that is a hard question! Do you have kids with you? I ask because the Camino is a little more "laid back" and if you don't have kids with you, maybe the $100 extra would be worth it. The service is incredible, the restaurants at the hotel are great (but don't skip eating in town at the many excellent restaurants!) and I think Camino has the best beach of any hotel in PV that I have seen. The thing I would miss most about the Krystal is the grounds, but the Camino has alot to make up for it... Anyone else want to vote? Is it worth $100 more to go the the Camino? I guess my vote is yes unless you have kids or are really on a tight budget. You will have a great time either way!

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:30 PM
joan

The kids are staying home - we are looking for a relaxing getaway for just the two of us. So sounds like the extra $200 (100 a piece ) for the Camino Real may be worth it. Thanks for following up on this.

Apr 10th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Susan aka Clarisa

For Bill ~ re Old Town PV hotels

I've been posting lots about Old Town hotels recently. Try the search feature to find them. Old Town is very different than the fancy resorts (far better in my opinion!). There are loads of wonderful hotels in all different price ranges. I've spent 15 vacations there in the past 10 years and am happy to talk with anyone interested in what I've found. Let me know what price range and what ammenities you seek. I've got a list a mile long. I've stayed at or stopped in to visit most in person. Write direct or post again.

Apr 10th, 2002, 09:45 AM
my 2 cents

The locations and ambience are COMPLETELY different. Camino Real is on its own beach to the south of town, sits alone. The Westin (in the Marina) or Krystal & Sheraton, are off a dusty, busy highway in a hotel-strip type configuration.

Apr 13th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Beverly

I stayed at the Sheraton and I loved it. It was very close to town and when you are in the hotel it is far enough off the street and very beautiful grounds with HEATED POOLS. We were able to go swimming and it was cool at night. The steam was coming off the pools during the day. My girlfriend stayed at the Westin and said she had wished she had stayed at the Sheraton.