Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta: Your Favorite Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-your-favorite-restaurants-17576/)

Kristin Sep 30th, 1997 06:55 PM

Puerto Vallarta: Your Favorite Restaurants

We have never been to Puerto Vallarta, and have read
lots on recommended places to stay. Does anyone out there have any favorite eating places? We enjoy lots of different venues--casual, outdoor, the local's favorite hangouts, romantic dining, etc.
Please share your favorites! Thanks.

jennifer nacif Oct 1st, 1997 05:52 PM

kristin my favorite restaurant is el cafe the los artistas it is a litle formal and perhaps more expensive tha it should yet i still highly recomend it. puerto vallarta is great for further questions do not hesitate to ask

Totty Oct 2nd, 1997 07:24 PM

You're going to love PV! We have been there 15 or more times in 20 years. We like to stay in the south end of town... more typical Mexico, so our favorite places are there. La Oya is a wonderful barbeque place. Go early if you don't want to stand in line for dinner. El Toucan is a great breakfast place. down the street from La Oya is a great dive shop called Bahia. The people there are great for fishing, snorkeling and diving... or just a boat trip to Los Arcos and Las Animas Beach. You really should see PV from the water, and not from one of the overcrowded tourist boats. Our hotel is Hotel Playa Los Arcos, exceptionally reasonable and right on the beach. The other outstanding restaurant is Zapata's downtown across from the quay. The Andes Mountains music is fabulous and starts later in the eveniing. If you have not been to a Mexican Fiesta, see the one at La Iguana, not so much for the fod but for an entire evening of entertainment from folklorico dancing to rope tricks, mariachis and an adult pinata. Have fun!

Erni Hirsch Oct 4th, 1997 09:35 PM

Puerto Vallarta is a mecca of great restaurants. One of my favorites is Felipe's, a converted house on the top of a hill overlooking the city lights. You are served outside. The food is great, the view and live music makes for a romantic atmosphere.

John Lloyd Oct 18th, 1997 04:15 PM

I think Totty was refering to 'Cafe de Oja', which is my favorite by far. Try thier grilled lobster platter (not on the menu-just ask!). Get there early, or you will have to wait in line on the sidewalk. informal.

Dave Oct 22nd, 1997 12:48 PM

We just returned from a week in P.V. Without exception, every meal we had was great. Look at the menus and the ambiance as you walk about, and be adventurous! I agree with the comment about the locations to the South... don't miss them. We too had a fabulous dinner in a converted home in the hills. One tip, when we offered to pay by credit card, the proprietor offered a 10%25 discount for cash. Try it!

R.ELSHAUG Nov 12th, 1997 06:57 PM

Enjoy an evening meal and sunset from SENIOR PEPE'S. Excellent food, great view from the hillside, and an owner that sincerely makes you feel welcome.

M. Thomas Nov 16th, 1997 04:18 PM

Just returned from a month in PV and my favorite all time is El Panorama 3 stories of dining on top of the Siesta Suites Hotel. Excellent food, lovely presentation, best view of sunset and the bay, dancing to live music. Can't say enough.(Take a cab, VERY steep hill)

Favorite Italian is Angela'a in Marina, outdoors, totally casual, very tasty and reasonable. La Paz Mexican next door has daily menus at 24 or 35 pesos with 2 courses. Not gourmet but always good and excellent value.

Have to mention Pipi's. Loud and lively, delicious Mexican and very reasonable. Downtown.

Rico Mac Tacos, kitty-corner from the LEY grocery store on the main street has much choice, great prices for a quick fill at lunch or breakfast.

You will be enchanted by PV. Enjoy

Robert Thompson Nov 18th, 1997 08:22 PM

Try Chico's Paradise which is south of town about 20 miles near Yelapa - beautiful open air rest. near a stream. Yes, you will need a car but the drive is lovely and easy - be careful at night. Also, try The Set, which is just north of the Camino Real on the ocean side.

Jeff Faye Nov 18th, 1997 11:27 PM

Hello;

I'll second the restaurant on the hill called Felipe's. The sun was going down and you can see the whole town getting ready for night.
Very good service and food

Mia Nov 23rd, 1997 06:00 PM

I was in pv for a week this July. See restaurant notes in the entry a few above yours "Puerto Vallarta Hotel Info." query.
You'll get good recommendations for breakfast and lunch!!

Enjoy!

teresa lawser Nov 26th, 1997 04:17 PM

Hi. Got your name from BB posting about PV. We are going for the first time 12/31 for a week. Someone told me of a good restaurant with a pig roasting in the window. Do you know the name of it by chance?

Also, have you done any of the paid excursions to the Sierra Madre mountains, Marietas Islands, or Caletas? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

kathy Nov 30th, 1997 09:56 AM

We were in PV last April. Had a great time. Shopping is great there. We ate at two different hillside restaurants. The first is on the south side of town, might be Felipe's, not sure. The other is just up from the huge cathedral in town. Up a very steep hill. It was more casual and the food was better and less expensive. We enjoyed both places. The view was great from both. We rented a car and drove north. Stopped in Bucerias for lunch. Wish we had driven straight up to Sayulita for lunch at Don Pedros. Beautiful fishing village and beach. We just had drinks and some pita type bread-yum. We stopped off at several places on our way back that were along the north shore of the Bay. Enjoyed talking with the local families that run the businesses along there. Had more snacks and drinks. Watched the fishermen reset there nets. Very interesting.
The next day we drove South to of course the set of night of the Iguana. Okay so now I can say I was there. More interesting was all the little bays and towns on them. They are wonderful. Take swim gear and just relax, get into the feel of it. We drove waaaaaaay up into the hills where they filmed a Swartzenager movie I think - didn't really get into it. Like the beaches better. Have fun. A friend of ours has "La Dolce Vita" restaurant in town. The one in Cabo San Lucas is fantastic. Stefan, the owner, is usually in Cabo but commutes back and forth he may be there. Enjoy and keep my e-mail address. If you ever decide to come to Cabo I can help there too.