Puerto Vallarta with small kids

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta with small kids

Hi -
My husband's family wants to go to a resort near Puerto Vallarta for Thanksgiving. Is it save to take 1, 3 and 6-year olds? Will they get sick or kidnapped? I've never been to Mexico and am worried about all this talk about dehydrating tourista and Hepatitis. Thanks.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 10:15 AM

I really think you should not go. If you are truly that worried you will not have a good time. Now having said that trust me. There are lots of children in Mexico so No One will want to Kidnap yours. If you use normal health practices no one will get sick. No reason to get dehydrated as lots of safe bottled water every where. Mexican is NOT a third world country but a ancient land with thousands years of history. Just this month archaeologist discovered writing over 3,000 years old. Your opinion of Mexico is very incorrect. With all the violence & crime in the good Ole US of A Mexico is a snap. PV is a modern safe city with all the familiar brands & many of the stores (Walmart, Costco etc) that you see in the US. It has a modern sewage treatment plant & excellent English speaking MDs & Hospitals In 25 years of Mexican travel (often for months) I have never felt in danger following a few simple rules.
1. I am polite to everybody
2. I never flash money
3, I do not drink bur if you do don't get wasted & wander the streets.
4. I do not go where I do not belong
That's it! You will be missing a wonderful opportunity by not only going to Mexico but to learn about another culture. Visit a school (supplies such as paper, crayons etc are much in need) with your kids. I started taking my kids (& grandkids) to Mexico at a young age. They have made life long fiends with local people. Once in Bucerias we met a family from Guadalajara on the beach. They invited to their beach villa for dinner.We have since become great friends & they have visited us here in The SF bay are & we them in their Guadalajara home.
PS As a child I had infectious Hepatitis in Iowa the heart of the US.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Puerto Vallarta dearly, but it's not the place for everyone. It *is* the real Mexico and things are different there. I would not necessarily recommend it for such little kids or timid travelers.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Though I doubt anyone would be kidnapped. That's just crazy talk.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 04:09 PM

We took our kids there (aged 7 and 5) July 05 and had a great time. We rented a villa with another family (they have 2 kids same ages) just south of the town in Mismaloya Bay for a week and loved it - the view from the mountain was amazing. Then we stayed a couple of nights at the Westin Resort near the Marina area which was also fantastic. We didn't rent a car - used the public buses and found the locals to be extremely friendly. The surf was a bit rough for younger kids though. We've since been vacationing on the other Mexican coast - Mayan Riviera - because we prefer the calm, caribbean waters - much better for snorkeling and the kids. Just a lot flatter there so you don't have the fantasic views or "city feel" that PV offers.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Regular rules ... keep hold of your kids just like you do here! Look at this one place not too far out of PV. Great prices and all inclusive also have a kids plan on it. I LOVED IT!
http://www.costaazul.com/
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 05:21 AM

I personally have never traveled w/my children to Mexico ,(couldn't afford it)
back then however I wouldn't hesitate to take our grandchildren there. You certainly don;t have to worry about hepatitis or tourista unless you eat a places that are not noted for their cleanliness. Most of the hotels and restaurants have purified water in their water supply and all the restaurants have bottled water. It is a great place and loaded with families.