Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta with Kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-with-kids-1113724/)

totoannsmith Jun 20th, 2016 10:14 AM

Puerto Vallarta with Kids

Hi All.

Im wanting some advice on going to Puerto Vallarta with two very young kids (2.5 years old and 9 mos). Ive never been to PV but heard its a bit more authentic in the downtown area than say Cabo.

I want a family friendly hotel but especially want it to be walkable to lots of things. Im also very confused on what area to stay in. The marina area sounded like it was maybe upscale and had all the amenities we would want?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

suze Jun 20th, 2016 10:21 AM

The Marina is upscale and has amenities, but it's also about a 20 mins. taxi ride from the downtown area (where I'd consider it more "authentic"). So just depends on your priorities.

If you want a family friendly hotel actually IN the Old Town look at The Tropicana, Hotel Playa Los Arcos, Hotel Rosita, or Buenaventura. But realizing these are not 4 ot 5-star resorts. They are in fact "authentic" Mexican style beachfront hotels.

I vacation in PV 1-2 times a year and have since the early 90's. I'm no expert on little kids, but can help with the general lay of the land and the hotels and resorts available.

IF you want a place with a kids club, etc. then you'd look at resorts in the Hotel Zone (which is between The Marina and Centro/downtown).

~suze

totoannsmith Jun 20th, 2016 10:33 AM

Thank you!

I think my kids are too you for any hotel kids clubs so we plan to have a nanny to help with them so we can enjoy some alone time. We don't need fancy. I just want a nice beach area and close to bars and places to enjoy dinner, etc.

Would you say the Hotel Zone is walkable to downtown?

suze Jun 20th, 2016 10:52 AM

It depends where in the Hotel Zone you are. "South Hotel Zone" like Rosita, Buenaventura are really right in downtown. "North Hotel Zone" resorts like Melia, Now Amber/Secrets, Sunset Plaza, Fiesta Americana, Krystal would be too far to walk. But taxis (or even local busses) are cheap and plentiful.

<want a nice beach area and close to bars and places to enjoy dinner>

That's one of the tricks about Puerto Vallarta. The nicest beaches are outside the city, both to the north or the south. The beaches within town where you are close to bars and nice restaurants, don't for the most part have the best beaches.

jamie99 Jun 20th, 2016 10:53 AM

I'm no PV expert like suze is but would say it depends on where in the Hotel Zone. Among other places we have stayed is the Buenaventura, fairly short walk, but gets hot so we always took a taxi back, and Villa del Palmar, which I would not consider walkable with small children, but a short taxi ride. The taxis in PV for the most part are fairly inexpensive.

Rohelio Jun 20th, 2016 01:16 PM

I once stayed at the San Marino hotel for a week. It was an ok place, right on the beach, right near the rebuilt warf and smack dab in the Zona Romantica (old city). Walking distance to just about everything that PV has to offer along with the boardwalk and free sunsets...restaurants and clubs for the picking.
Also stayed near the Marina at Las Palmas, great hotel but needed bus or taxi everytime we went downtown or to la Zona. My choice would be San Marino with an ocean view room, you cańt go wrong !

suze Jun 20th, 2016 01:46 PM

I would NOT recommend the San Marino hotel for this family. They mentioned 'upscale' and 'ammenities' and San Marino has neither! Yes you can most definitely go wrong.

How long ago did you stay there, Rohelio?

maried11 Jun 20th, 2016 07:34 PM

I travel with my kids regularly to PV, so know some great places for kids. Are you looking for all inclusive, because that will make a difference? IF not, I like the Tropicana (you can get bfast included there), but it is still a budget property compared to those in the hotel zone, marina or Nuevo Vallarta. But to be walkable to things, I would maybe choose the Buenaventura if you wanted a little more upscale, but still not a "resort".
Just a few more details of what you want and I can give you what worked for me and my kids many times.

tom42 Jun 21st, 2016 06:11 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...o-vallarta.cfm

This is my trip report from my last visit to PV. It might have some information you find helpful. This was my second visit to PV. First, we stayed at Fiesta Americana in the Hotel Zone. That was quite nice - nice pool complex and on a good stretch of beach. But location-wise, kind of in the middle of nowhere - not close enough to walk to the Malecon or to the Marina.

Rohelio Jun 21st, 2016 08:37 AM

As I was saying San Marino is an OK place. I believe it to be a 3 star AI and the location could not be better. It has 2 swimming pools (kids and older) beach long chairs and pool patio long chairs. We had breakfast and lunch and drinks every day and had dinner at local nearby establishments, all within minutes of our room. Have a look at the live web cam and check Youtube and other websites to help you decide. Some travel agencies offer complete package with airfare to Hotel San Marino AI.

suze Jun 21st, 2016 08:58 AM

You can read the reviews for San Marino for yourself over on Trip Advisor.

Rohelio Jun 21st, 2016 09:33 AM

Official Description
Located in Puerto Vallarta, one of the most beautiful and romantic cities on the Pacific Coast of Mexico. The hotel is nestled on the beautiful beach of Playa los Muertos, with a wonderful atmosphere and tradition surrounded by hand craft shops, discotheques, and just a short walk from town. San Marino Hotel features 165 light and airy guestrooms including 25 spacious Junior Suites with all the amenities you need to relax and enjoy in a peaceful ambience.Come to San Marino Hotel where you will be greeted by our friendly staff and enjoy sunshine days and a vacation experience to treasure forever!

Rohelio Jun 21st, 2016 09:40 AM

Here is the officail description (above )from Trip Advisor site as you suggested suze.
I suggest you should refrain from commenting or advicing on a particular subject if you have never been or never experienced...!
Thank you !

suze Jun 21st, 2016 09:48 AM

I have been to the San Marino hotel many times.

maried11 Jun 21st, 2016 10:30 AM

I would stay at the San Marino 100 x over the Playa Los Arcos. I've been going to PV for years and have been over 20 times. 1/2 with my kids, so have a pretty good idea what works for kids, but we need to know if you want AI or not, are you getting two rooms (one for the nanny and one for you and kids?). I have some in mind that would work, also depends on level of luxury and if you want a more resort type property.

suze Jun 21st, 2016 10:38 AM

For our OP who clearly posted this:

<The marina area sounded like it was maybe upscale and had all the amenities we would want?>

I would NOT recommend the budget-basic properties like San Marino or Playa Los Arcos either one. There is zero "upscale" or about "amenities" at either of those places.

I'm not sure why posters are suggesting these lower level hotels on this thread.

tom42 Jun 21st, 2016 10:43 AM

I'm actually not clear what the OP is looking for because, following the initial post, she also said:

"We don't need fancy. I just want a nice beach area and close to bars and places to enjoy dinner, etc."

So which is it - upscale with all the amenities or a more basic place?

I looked at pics of San Marino and agree that it is not upscale. Looked pretty basic.

suze Jun 21st, 2016 10:47 AM

San Marino is popular with big tour bus groups of Mexican nationals from other parts of the country that come to PV on weekends. Plus it's mandatory All-Inclusive and not known for the food quality. If someone had asked me for the cheapest AI beachfront on Los Muertos, then I might have suggested it. It's barely a step up from Marsol next door.

tom42's right though... for totoannsmith... is it that you don't need fancy or that you would prefer an upscale place with decent amenities??
:-)

Rohelio Jun 21st, 2016 02:02 PM

Thank you Maried11 for also suggesting San Marino, I really do belueve it is the right choice for this family...

suze Jun 21st, 2016 02:07 PM

I notice you won't answer my question about when you last stayed at San Marino.