Puerto Vallarta: Westin Regina

Old Dec 8th, 2003, 01:23 PM
DMG
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta: Westin Regina

I am planning to stay at the Westin Regina in Puerto Villarta. I just found the following comments in a recent review on Tripadvisor:

"I picked this hotel because of the in room safe. When we got there the hotel was not even half full and they were "out of locks" for the safe. So for the whole week I had to lug around my purse w/valuables. But the safe is just a thin TIN box anyway and we decided it wouldn't be safe if we had a lock! Not sure why each room didn't have a lock on the safe, but they do what they want. They charged me $1 to call down to the HOTEL OPERATOR! Beware! ... The thing that bothered me the most was that the maid DID NOT lock your doors to the balcony, even if you had them locked. After reading other reviews of theft, I was sure to lock it, but she just unlocked it."

This reviewer had a few other complaints as well. Has any fodorite stayed there recently and what were your experiences? (By the way, on Tripadvosir most of the other reviews were very good.)
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 03:12 PM

I was there in May '03 and have only positive things to say about the resort. The only downside to the resort was the restaurants - very pricey and not very good.

The rooms were clean, the staff was really friendly and very accomodating and the pool & pool bar service was awesome!

I can't wait to go back!

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:22 AM

If I were you, I would email the hotel directly and attach that tripadvisor post. Ask them to address those concerns and how you were shocked to hear such negative comments. Also call Starwood customer service and let them know.

Hotels need accountability. This is the only way things will improve. This will also insure that you have no problems.

I am particularly interested in hearing from you after your trip (or from your email response) as that is a place I am strongly considering. I too saw that post at Trip Advisor and couldn't believe it.

Go to www.flyertalk.com and do a search for reviews of this property in the Starwood forum. My memory is that it gets high reviews. If there hasn't been a recent review, tag onto an old post, "Any recent updates?"
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't speak to the Westin. But I visit Puerto Vallarta frequently and have had only positive experiences there, start to finish each trip. I stay in inexpensive family-run hotels on the Old Town and most offer a safety deposit for your use (often in or off the lobby).

The Westin is south of the airport, and north of downtown - El Centro by maybe 15 mins. easy by taxi or local bus.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 11:40 AM
DMG
Original Poster

I took Kindra's suggestion and emailed the hotel. They have been replacing the room safes with new computerized ones and assured me that my room would have the new model. They will do anything they can to insure that I have a good stay. I thought it was a nice, quick response and am looking forward to our stay there next month. A followup report will be posted on this thread when I return.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 03:40 PM

We stayed at the Westin just a few years ago and had a wonderful time. No problems with the in-room safe. That trip report sounds like a troll to me. Don't worry and have a great time. Westin has always been top of the heap for us.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:06 AM

We just returned from the Westin Regina. We stayed there Jan. 1, 2004 to Jan. 8th. While the pool and the grounds are beautiful we would not recommend staying there. We had a deluxe ocean view room on the 9th floor with a king bed. Our room would have been nice if housekeeping would have kept it clean. We had nothing but problems with the housekeeping staff. When we checked into the room, none of the mirrors had ever been cleaned and there was dirty areas and dust all over them. All of the water glasses were dirty. We complained to the front desk and the "service express" for 3 days until my husband finally had to yell at someone at the front desk and they finally sent the head of housekeeping to clean all of our mirrors. That was the only time the mirrors were cleaned and, after that, we just didn't bother complaining about them anymore. We never got clean glasses and kept buying paper cups to use instead. The maid did not replenish the shampoo and I had to call and insist that they send someone immediately to our room with shampoo. I even went so far as to leave the empty shampoo bottle on the vanity so the maid would get the message and she cleaned around it and left it there! She also never replenished the soap. After my husband yelled, we finally got daily shampoo and soap supplies. We never had a problem with getting fresh towels or kleenex.

Another day, we left the room at 9 a.m. and returned at 3:30 p.m. to find that the room had not been cleaned. Once again we had to go downstairs and complain at the front desk.

The sheets had stains on them that obviously had not been removed in the wash. The sheets also did not fit the king size bed and the bottom sheet did not cover the entire mattress. The last night, I gave up and stripped the bed and remade it to try and get the sheet to at aleast cover the mattress pad. I even took one of the top sheets and tried to tuck it in so we weren't "short-sheeted".

One night (and only one night) we got "turn-down" service except they didn't turn down the bed! They did replenish the towels and straighten the bathroom and leave us 2 Hershey kisses next to the bed. We didn't eat the candy and I left it on the desk when we went to the pool the next day. When we returned to our room later, the room had been cleaned and the maid had either eaten our Hershey kisses or taken them. Either way, they weren't there anymore!

All of the concerieges were the most miserable people I have ever seen in that job. They never smiled and acted like they were doing you a favor by answering your questions. Getting information from them was like pulling teeth.

The rest of the hotel staff would keep apologizing in a nice way and swear that they would have the problem taken care of but then, nothing would happen.

As someone else has written previously, if you don't return your pool towels by 6 p.m. there is a $40 per towel charge. There also is a $5 daily charge to use the health club.

But the last straw was the letter attached to our bill telling us that if we wanted a late checkout they would love to accomodate but they would charge $10 per hour for it. We have stayed in some of the finest hotels and resorts and have never been charged for a late checkout. Either the hotel says you cannot have a late checkout which is understandable or they will graciously extend your checkout for 1,2 or 3 hours.

Do yourself a favor. Find somewhere else to stay.

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 06:48 AM
DMG
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning Bigmamma. Too late for me to change hotels but I have let the management know of my concern and hopefully I won't have the same experience. I'll post here when I return.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:33 PM

DMG: I am wondering how your stay at the Westin went. We are planning to stay at the Westin in March (on the timeshare side). I am particularly interested in the beach area as I have not read good things about it. Thanks!
Old Jan 21st, 2004, 10:54 AM
DMG
Original Poster

Ivy: I cancelled the trip bnut not because of my concerns about the hotel. I had been checking out the weather forecasts and it was suppose to rain for 5 of the 7 days we would be there (which in fact it did). Since there is no reason to go to PV in the rain, we cancelled and went to Flordia where the weather was great. And at least if it rained in Florida, we could go to the movies, a mall, or duplicate Bridge.