Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta - small hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-small-hotel-401775/)

Goldiept Feb 21st, 2004 06:40 AM

Puerto Vallarta - small hotel

Looking for a small hotel/inn in the old part of PV. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Leaving March 3 - 9.

JRinPV Feb 21st, 2004 07:35 AM

Here's a list of budget hotels
http://vallarta-info.com/hotels.html#budget

suze Feb 21st, 2004 09:56 AM

www.puerto-vallarta.com/posada for budget accommodations on Basilo Badillo

www.casa-andrea.com lovely private home style atmosphere B&B off Olas Altas

www.molinodeagua.com in the heart of old town medium size Mexican hotel in a walled garden immediately south of the river

www.quinta-maria.com small hotel at the south end of the beach unusual artistic a bit pricey but one of a kind

michaelcrane Feb 26th, 2004 12:21 PM

Try playa fiesta which is small and just south of town in conchas chinas (a $3 cab ride into Old Vallarta). Very large rooms, nice property. Not a great swimming beach (rocky) but right on the water with a great pool. We were pleasantly surprised, considering the great rate. www.playafiesta.com

jlh370 Feb 26th, 2004 04:32 PM

I second casa andrea.

suze Feb 27th, 2004 09:11 PM

From the suggestions above... it depends if you want to be able to be on foot, easy walking distance to all the shops, restaurants, galleries, activities, etc. in El Centro & Old Town or if you'd like a more isolated hotel on a beach to just kick back.

TioGringo Feb 28th, 2004 08:31 PM

Another suggestion, especially if you're a bit of a romantic, might be Casa Kimberly -- the place where Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton lived.

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com

suze Feb 29th, 2004 10:05 AM

Maybe Los Cuatro Vientos up behind the cathedral in a residential neighborhood? www.cuatrovientos.com

poopface Mar 11th, 2004 11:10 AM

Agree with Suze - Los Cuatro Vientos this time of year. I personally wouldn't stay there May thru October because it has no air conditioning and Vallarta can get awfully warm. An alternative might be Playa Los Arcos on playa Los Muertos. Good central location, not too large and quite friendly.

Dori Mar 11th, 2004 12:34 PM

I just returned from the Hotel Eloisa last week and thought it was great. Check out their website. www.hoteleloisa.com

Carolred Mar 17th, 2004 06:10 PM

If there is not room at Casa Andrea she will check with the hotel across the street. Not as nice, but inexpensive and right in the heart of things.

pdxgirl Apr 14th, 2004 08:13 AM

Both Molina de Agua and Casa Andrea look great but neither posts their rates on their website (I hate that!) Can anyone give me an idea of how much a basic double room is at either of these places? We're planning a trip in late October. Thanks!

Dori Apr 14th, 2004 10:04 AM

Last time I checked, Casa Andrea is about $500/week. I got this info from just e-mailing her. The e-mail address is on her website. Also, it's cash only.

suze Apr 15th, 2004 01:02 PM

I paid $475/week plus 17% (I think it was) hotel tax at Casa Andrea a year or so ago for a sweet one-bedroom which includes a separate equipped kitchen. There's also (2) two-bedroom apartments. Rates vary by season, as mentioned, just email Andrea directly and ask.

Molino de Agua also varies greatly because they have several different types of rooms, and varying prices by season. There cabana (tiny cabins) were ~$85/night a year ago. The garden view rooms, and/or ocean front suites more like $150-200USD/night last time I checked. It's a new website and their old one was awful so be thankful they got something up that actually shows the property and rooms.

October is considered off-season in PV.

butsey Apr 16th, 2004 04:48 AM

Just wanted you to know that there have been complaints re:Molina de Agua loud music from a club band playing until 2:00 in the morning. Go to tripadvisor.com check all the hotels there.

suze Apr 16th, 2004 12:11 PM

I would also be concerned about Molino de Agua because of the new pedestrian bridgeover Rio Cuale, what state of construction it is (or is not) under, that in theory will connect the Malecon to the boardwalk on Playa Los Muertos. This would have to cut-thru in front (beachside) of the hotel, no?