Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta safe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-safe-97697/)

Laurie Dec 28th, 2000 09:21 AM

Puerto Vallarta safe?

We will be in P.V. next week and when we received our package from the Travel agency, they warn about tourists getting shot, etc. <BR> <BR>I realize that we cannot take any stupid risks such as walking around alone at night, etc., but during the day time, it must be o.k. for tourists to go to the stores, etc.in the city? Am I correct in assuming this? <BR>Also, how safe is it at night, if we decide to go to some clubs? <BR>Do many people take VISA or do we need mostly cash for souviners and jewelrey? <BR>

Susan Dec 28th, 2000 11:58 AM

It's been years since I was in Puerto Vallarta, but I'm surprised that your travel agency warns about people getting shot! I'm not aware of that problem. PV is very touristy and I've never heard of problems walking around during the day. Also think it's probably very safe in the touristy areas in the evening. <BR> <BR>I always use my visa as much as possible in Mexico, although some areas where I've travelled don't take visa. ATM's are usually everywhere, so if I need cash, that's what I would use.

JRinPV Dec 28th, 2000 12:51 PM

I've lived here a total of 8 years and it's one of the safest places I've ever lived. Walk home alone at 3 AM? no problema. <BR>Use your ATM many who live here use that way to get cash. <BR>Hasta, <BR>JR

Kathy Dec 29th, 2000 06:47 PM

Our family will be in Puerto Vallerta next week for our 5th family visit. It is a very safe, very beautiful place. Do not worry and have a wonderful time. Go to Yalapa if you get a chance. <BR>

pt Dec 30th, 2000 04:40 AM

Hola, definitely agree with above posting by JR. I've lived here for years and the type of things you are worried about just do not exist here! You will find everyone very friendly and helpful. Your travel agency is definitely not well informed on this area! Have a great vacation!

Vicki Dec 30th, 2000 07:56 AM

My family and I went to Puerta Vallarta last year. It was very comfortable to walk around and everyone was very friendly and helpful. You will love it. By the way, I ate everything and waas fine but my husband who didn't have ice or salad and was very careful got sick, go figure!

mexicodan Dec 31st, 2000 09:40 AM

I've been taveling to and through PV for 20 years and never have had a problem. Always be observant and act accordingly. <BR> <BR>Adios! <BR> <BR>mexicodan <BR>www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

Norma Jan 1st, 2001 11:40 AM

To date, my husband and I have been to P.V. 5 times--only once did we experience an "unsafe" day. <BR> <BR>There are Sierra Madre expeditions that take you far away from the P.V. busy town and resort area. You travel about 2 hours to some of the most remote parts of Mexico. Although my memories of seeing the locals and how they live will be forever etched in my mind, the experience of being away from the activity spots was not good. Do be careful in remote jungle areas and when exploring aways from crowds. Just remember, be alert. <BR> <BR>Enjoy P.V. <BR> <BR>--Norma

dave & susie Jan 1st, 2001 12:43 PM

We will leave for Vallarta this Friday for our 18th annual visit. We have never had a problem of any kind. We DID have one cab driver, many years ago, who was not very friendly, but we did not feel unsafe. <BR>Generally, we try to treat others as we want to be treated and find that courtesy begets courtesy. <BR>RELAX! HAVE A GOOD TIME! <BR>d&s