Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Puerto Vallarta Questions re hotel, weather, beach, bugs.

Old May 19th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Leslie

Background: Family of 4 w/kids ages 11 and 14, considering late July/early August week in PV at the Krystal Vallarta. Like nice beach sand and water, nice pool, access to culture. Don't want all-inclusive but do want a resort feel. Want a good Mexican Fiesta and some excursions.

Dislikes: High rise hotels/going up in an elevator to get to our room. Tiny hotel rooms. Crowded pool areas. Unkempt/unclean hotels. Timeshare sharks. Insects! Rain! Singles scene.

Questions:
1. How does our plan sound to you?
2. How much rain are we likely to have in July/August?
3. Are mosquitoes or other insects an issue?
4. Is the Krytal Vallarta nice? I see ratings that vary widely from a 3 star to a 6 star! We like the look of is cause it isn't high rise and not too far from town.
7. Is a "Villa" or a "Junior Suite" better. Also, do they have their own website anywhere?

Thanks all.

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:25 AM
loangalsal

I have stayed there 6 or 7 times. There are good and bad things about any hotel, but here are my opinions of Krystal...Good: no high rises, 3 large pool areas with totally different atmospheres, the main pool is right on the ocean, hotel is spread out over many acres of beautiful grounds, a great outdoor restaurant on the beach to eat breakfast (but it is expensive), pretty decent service (but certainly not a 6 star hotel). They also have one of the best massages available at a very reasonable price in little beachside cabana things, just excellent. I don't like the fact that there is timeshare sales there, but if you know that the "information booth" is hosted by timeshare, you can avoid it pretty easily. I did not like that the timeshare people came up to me in line to check in last year and telling me to come over to the information booth for some "discounts" and help after check in--they pose as concierge, but they aren't. Their bar drinks are also a little unpredictable. There is a big disco there, Christine's, but as long as your room is not right next to it, you won't be bothered by it. We stay in the Junior Suites because I like the locations of the rooms better, but they are pretty much just bigger versions of the regular rooms. So, if size matters to you, take a Jr. Suite. I have not stayed in a villa, but they are little one story buildings with either 3 or 4 rooms in each (Can't remember for sure) with a tiny little pool for these rooms to share. There is a little table and chairs in the center of the rooms (outdoors) you can use. I had visions of people coming back to their rooms at 1am and continuing to party at this outdoor table and keeping us awake, so that is why I have not stayed in a villa. I think it would be cool if you got all of the rooms in a villa rented out by a group so you knew who you would be spending close quarters with. They do have a Mexican Fiesta on site, but it is the only one I have ever been to so I can't compare, I guess it was OK. All in all, it is a good mid-range hotel, nice beach and pools, decent rooms, and excellent grounds for strolling. All that said, there are many other great hotels in PV depending on what atmosphere you want. Caminio Real is probably the nicest I have seen (stayed there once, it was great). I have never been to PV in July/August, so someone else will have to help you there...I bet it will be hot, humid and maybe rainy...

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:16 AM
ILOVE

Yikes Leslie, thats quite a list of dislikes. That time of the year you will likely encounter rain. Maybe I'm wierd but a 10-15 minute rain shower usually doesn't really bother me. Also it will likely be very hot and humid this may cause you some "discomfort".
Bugs?? I can't say I saw any and that included time in the rain forest although I'm sure there are some.
Timeshare sharks?? they are everywhere and can be relentless.
I loved PV but I ran into some tourists who really complained that there actually were locals (read Mexican nationals)also sharing vacation time in the hotels.
Honestly dear, you sound a little picky to me and I'm not at all sure you'll be favorably impressed with much of anything there.

Old May 20th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Clarisa

I'm a BIG fan of Puerto Vallarta and vacation there once or twice a year. From your post, I most kindly say, I'm not sure it's the town for you.

Summer months are hot, humid, with some rain. There are time-sales people everywhere in town. There is a singles scene and Christine's at that hotel, is a very popular disco.

There are lots of high rise hotels in the hotel zone, although the Krystal is not one of them. Krystal is popular with Mexican couples, families for their own vacations. The beach is OK but certainly not what PV is famous for.

As for access to culture, the Mexican Fiesta(s) is strictly a performance for tourists offered at several restaurants and hotels. Genuine culture is everywhere if you get out and look and walk around town.

PV is still very "real", it is not a Cancun or Cabo, so is a little bit "rougher" than what some folks are expecting to find.

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Leslie

Thanks all for this very helpful information. Yes, it's clear I do have some ambivalence about PV. We live in LA and this would be a more affordable vacation than Hawaii. Plus, I thought the cultural exposure would be good for the kids. I don't want to go to a poorly-kept Mexican resort, but on the other hand don't want to isolate ourselves in a Las Vegas style all inclusive. Do want to get into town and eat locally. I speak Spanish and really enjoy interacting with Mexican people who aren't timeshare salesmen! I actually liked the report that Mexican families frequent the Krystal. The disco is no issue for me...just want to avoid resorts dominated by partying singles as a want a healthy atmosphere for my kids. That may be more a spring break concern.

I went to Mexico City, Taxco, Guadalajara, PV, Mazatlan 30+ years ago with my parents and liked PV best. However, I do remember the ocean near the Rio Cuale being a big disappointment. Same time of year and the water was so warm and green it wasn't refreshing to swim in. I recall visiting a hotel called the Posada Vallarta back then and it was wonderful with a great beach and close enough to town. What ever happened to that place?

My husband and I caught a glimpse of Cancun on a cruise..but opted for the Chichen Itza trip that day. Must say, that the ocean water there was gorgious! But Cancun is more expensive for us to reach and looks like Las Vegas on the beach which doesn't appeal to this family. The other Pacific Coast resort areas like Huatulco, Manzanillo seem less interestng as far as sightseeing, than PV would be. Cabo about the same, right? Plus, the reports of police corruption/shakedowns of tourists and open drug dealing and prostitutes in Cabo San Lucas made me decide not to take my kids there.

Again, thanks very much for the detailed information. It is so helpful. Still not sure what we'll do. But the responses are much appreciated.

Old May 20th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Clarisa again

Leslie, If I were in your shoes, I'd seriously consider a Hawaiian package deal. As I mentioned above, I have been to PV 14 times to date. This February I went to Maui, 1st time in Hawaii... Gorgeous!! Especially with your particular list of questions and likes/dislikes and the time of year weather concerns... well I wouldn't rule out Hawaii as a good alternative. BUT if you do pick Pacific coast Mexico, yes, I'd favor PV over any other towns or resorts you mentioned.

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:55 AM
Sandra

Just a note: The beaches/bay won't be as pretty in July/August because of the rain and the runoff from the rivers into the bay. The water can be a sort of brown color.

Old May 21st, 2002, 08:59 AM
marilyn

Leslie, I love Mexico but seldom go to beach towns. I'm so much a pool person that I am perfectly happy going to Cuernavaca or Oaxaca and staying somewhere small with a nice pool. Better restaurants, ruins, etc.

The times we have gone to the beach it's been because of the kids. We stayed at the Krystal in PV some years ago with the kids, and it was very nice. The main pool was lively and right on the beach, with lots of activities for younger children, good food service etc. I recall being in an area of the resort--the Krystal is designed as a Mexican village, with low-rise buildings, gardens, pools, etc--that had a much quieter pool. The room was very large, with separate areas for sleeping, sitting, dressing etc. Great air-conditioning (not always the case in Mexico in my experience). I think the Krystal might be the place you are recalling, because I think that was the name before it was acquired by the Krystal chain.