Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta or Cabo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-or-cabo-569400/)

Tim1967 Nov 7th, 2005 12:39 PM

Puerto Vallarta or Cabo?

Hello all...my bride-to-be and I are looking to book our honeymoon for next August. We've narrowed it down to two all-inclusive resorts, one in Puerto Vallarta and the other in Cabo San Lucas. We're looking Dreams in P.V. and the one in Cabo is the Riu. Any comments would be helpful in the decision!

Thanks in advance

suze Nov 7th, 2005 02:24 PM

August is the rainy season in PV. Hot, humid, with showers possible. Don't know if that will effect your decision, but thought I'd mention it.

Tim1967 Nov 8th, 2005 10:35 AM

Yes, we heard about the rainy season in PV. What we don't know is if that means it rains all day or just in the late afternoon or what. Any idea?

suze Nov 8th, 2005 11:20 AM

I've never been down in the summer myself. But I am told it is most often showers, usually in the afternoon or overnight. Temps high 80's low 90's. Locals mention they like summer because the rain cools things off and keeps things lush and green.

Dreams is the old Camino Real which sets on its own beach 5 mins. south of town, so not walking distance to El Centro, but a very short taxi or bus ride.

lvitaly Nov 8th, 2005 03:20 PM

I was just there during "rainy season" at the end of Sept. it rained typically in the later afternoon for a couple of hours. I dont think it rains all day.
Personally, i like P.V better than Cabo. I did like Cabo enough but it just seems more "americanized" and P.V has an old world feel to it.
Good luck on your decision as you cant go wrong on either one.

Tim1967 Nov 9th, 2005 05:09 AM

OK, thanks everyone! I think we might go with PV...the weather was our big worry and people are saying it's not a real big deal.

suze Nov 9th, 2005 06:27 AM

Tim, I love PV dearly and think it is a romantic place. My post was less enthusiastic than usual because I have been criticized lately here for being too over-the-top about Puerto Vallarta. But I have to say, it is an amazing place and I think perfect for a honeymoon. You'll find loads of info on things to do, restaurants, transportation, etc. if you search on "PV" or "Puerto Vallarta" here on Fodor's from past threads. Feliz luna de miel (happy moon of honey!). -susan

lvitaly Nov 9th, 2005 06:37 AM

Your right Suze, it's hard to be enthusiatic when you are afraid of being attacked. P.V is a romantic place and we all are just going to keep on talking about it the way we all feel it in our own hearts!
Tim, when the time gets close, let us know and we can point you in the direction of a few good, romantic restaurants. I have heard ( i have done their day trip) that the Rythems of the Night to Las Caletas is very romantic the way they have the tiki torches and candles lite up all over the beach.They are Vallarta Adventures.
For thrills try a zipline, a total blast!!

bburpi Nov 9th, 2005 09:43 AM

A separate, candlelit, table on the beach at La Palapa is the most romantic!

Tim1967 Nov 10th, 2005 10:25 AM

Well, from the sound of it we should have no problems with finding things to do. Can't wait.

lvitaly Nov 10th, 2005 02:11 PM

I second La Palapa. A definate must!!!
Also, their other restaurant Vista Grill has fabulous views of the city as it sits high on top of a hill. It is romantic, excellent food but pricy i must say.Well worth it though.