Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Puerto Vallarta moderate hotel for one night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now before anyone says "one night isn't enough in PV!" don't worry, we will be staying four nights at the beginning of our trip (probably at the Marriott or Westin); then we are going for four nights to San Blas and staying at Hotel Garza Canela (we are birders and are doing some guided birding out of that area.)

However we need to return to PV for our last night as our flight leaves at 7 a.m. So I need suggestions for a one night stay, preferably close to the airport. A moderate hotel with a nice pool or beach access would be nice for our last afternoon, but it doesn't make sense to spend $300+ for a room which we will be leaving at 5 a.m. Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The hotels in The Marina will be closest to the airport for you (Marriott). The budget hotels are mostly down past El Centro in "Zona Romantica". I'm not sure it would be worth the savings in room cost, unless you were particularly interested in staying on the southside that last night, to come down to that part of town.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Suzie's right. There are some plainer looking places across the road in the airport area that may be cheaper but frankly do not have much eye appeal. I'd either stay in old town or bite the bullet paying the higher fares in the marina area.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:58 AM

The Marriott is a pretty good suggestion if you want a NICE place to stay with a decent pool. I just did a quick sanity check for a random night in June '06 --- Travelocity showed me a rate of $109, which isn't bad, IMHO. (There was also a cheaper listing for a Howard Johnson at $62).

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I should have added this will be in peak period--February '07 (yes, I know I have lots of time!) There has to be something decent in the under $200 range--I hope. The Marriott is close to $300 for the least expensive room at that time. Anyone know anything about the Holiday Inn?
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There are many hotels around town with rooms under $100 but they are 3-star Mexican local style and in El Centro or "south of the river".

Old May 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Holiday Inn ia not that far from the Marina s/b ok for one night I wouldn't stay there any longer than that but I don't see why it s/b a problem for one night