Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta in October (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-in-october-619751/)

ethel May 31st, 2006 07:55 AM

Puerto Vallarta in October

My fiance and I are considering Puerto Vallarta for our honeymoon. The dates we would be there are 10/2-8. We are looking for an all-inclusive hotel (we plan on doing some drinking) not that far from downtown. I have done some searching but feel really overwhelmed. I have been to PV once, about 8 years ago. We stayed at the Holiday Inn (not sure if it is still a Holiday Inn). I loved that area and the hotel at that time was nice. We're looking for something with a resort feel, yet will want to venture into downtown to check out the shops, bars, flea market etc. Basically, I'm just looking for any personal suggestions from anyone as to where they enjoyed staying, to help me narrow it down. Which section is the best? Is the romantic zone really quiet? We would want something kind of quiet but also some activity, with a decent beach area. Also, would love a large pool area with swim up bars, etc. We just want to relax and enjoy the scenery of PV.

I was looking this morning at the Melia (can't remember the rest of the name). It seemed to be in our price range and got decent reviews on Trip Advisor. Has anyone stayed here recently?

We need to be conscious of our budget and hope to do this for under $2500, including airfare.

Are we crazy to be going the first week in October?

Stewbear May 31st, 2006 08:07 AM

Crazy? Possibly. Thats the Height of the hurricane season. Now it may be beautiful weather just no way to know for sure. I would go to Guadalajara to the Quinto Real asking for suite #45 a most incredible location. We had our Luna de Miel (Honeymoon) in "98 never regretting it. Marvelous city, great sights, shopping & restaurants. We were treated like royalty. I traveled for a living for over 30 years & I have never had a nicer, more luxurious suite. As we arrived at 6:00 AM our suite was not ready but the management gave us a slightly smaller suite to "use" (that meant sleep for us) until ours was ready at NO COST!

acctg May 31st, 2006 08:16 AM

I agree about the hurricane issues, but (not to be rude) Guadalajara isn't in the same league as PV. I'm sure the hotel and your honeymoon were wonderful, but PV is lovely, while G. is, well, a bit of a dump. If one isn't going to leave the property of these AI resorts and see anything of the surrounding area, I agree it makes no difference what's outside the walls. And that doesn't sound like what Ethel wants to do.

One other point ethel: Don't assume that unlimited alcohol is included at all AI's. There is great variation on this issue and you need to check carefully if this is a deal breaker for you.

SusanInToronto May 31st, 2006 08:38 AM

Wow, I wouldn't call Guadalajara a "bit of a dump". We really enjoyed our time there - there is a lot to see and do there. However, you're right, it doesn't sound like what Ethel wants.

Congratulations, Ethel! I spent my honeymoon in Mexico (about 19 years ago), but it was in February. We hadn't been back to PV until 2 or 3 years ago. I can't really give you advise on hotels - we usually stay in more budget places, and we never go AI. There are so many nice restaurants in PV and it's fun to be able to go to them, without feeling that you've already paid your meal elsewhere.

I'm not sure if hurricanes are as prevalent on the west coast as they are on the east coast. We've been to Mexico many times, but usually just in February or March. The one time that we did go to Mexico in October was a trip to Isla Mujeres (outside of Cancun) - unfortunately we were one step ahead of a hurricane and my husband said he'll never go that time of year again. Obviously it's not gong to be like that all the time.

You know, one of the reasons we got married in February was that we could always celebrate our anniversary somewhere warm - usually that's meant Mexico.

Have fun planning!

Stewbear May 31st, 2006 08:50 AM

Can't believe you could refer to Guadalajara a "dump" with it's marvelous architecture, theaters incredible, shopping including native arts, some of the best restaurants in Mexico, museums & marvelous people? There's more to travel then the beach (which I love) or zip line tours! If that's a Dump I've wasted all 63 years of my life!

suze May 31st, 2006 09:31 AM

Hurricanes are relatively rare on the west coast. The last one that hit PV (maybe 5 years back?) was the first in 50 years.

Zona Romantica is noisy, not quiet. But the hotels are not fancy and there are no swim-up bars. The larger hotels are 3-star at best. Don't get me wrong that's my favorite part of town, but it doesn't sound like what you are looking for in ammenities.

Maybe Villa Premiere, Golden Crown Plaza or the Buenaventura are the ones closest to the downtown are that would be called "resorts".

There's lots of reviews around on Melia. Check over on www.puertovallarta.net there is a bulletin board/forum there specific to PV and mostly about the nicer resorts.

As far as October, you might have a little rain but Aug/Sept are the wetter months.

acctg May 31st, 2006 09:43 AM

sorry if my comments offended. I admit that I'm in a bit of a mood today AND I truly love PV.

My apologies.

Stewbear May 31st, 2006 11:04 AM

No Problem acctg. Nothing long with loving PV. I do so myself although mis the PV of the mid 80's when I first discoverd it. That's what happens when you get like me old & set in your ways not wanting things to change. Goingthrough the same with Zihuatanejo now my second Mexico