Puerto Vallarta Hotels

Apr 8th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Maggie Liebschutz

Puerto Vallarta Hotels

my friend and i are planning a trip to puerto vallarta just after our high school graduation in the beginning of june. we're trying to decide between sheraton boganvilias resort and towers, los tules resort, buenaventura hotel and beach club, and flamingo vallarta hotel and marina. we want something on a nice beach area and within walking distance to town. we're not looking for an all-inclusive plan, so the
restaurants at the hotels aren't a concern. we are most interested in decent rooms and nice service. where would you recommend of the hotels i mentioned?

Apr 8th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Clarisa

For Maggie, All of the hotels you mentioned are out in The Marina or the Hotel Zone. These are NOT walking distance to El Centro (old downtown) more like 2-5 miles. Also, I'm not sure the current beach situation at these individual hotels but it is a narrow strip of sand thru that area, and though the hotels try to maintain it, sometimes it gets washed away to almost nothing.

Of the ones you mentioned the Buenaventura is the closest in to the heart of town.

Personally for a nice beach area, walking distance to town, decent rooms, nice service, not all-inclusive, I would encourage you to consider staying in the "Old Town" neighborhood, also sometimes called Viejo Vallarta or Zona Romantica.

Most of the places you are considering could be a hotel strip at any resort beach anywhere. Old town is truly a Mexican town, vibrant, bussling, busy, noisy, beautiful, with many hotels, restaurants, shops, etc. both for tourists and for local people.

I certainly don't mean to second-guess what you're looking for, but because of the way you worded your post... well there's my two cents.

Apr 9th, 2002, 02:24 AM
renee

Any ideas of places to stay in Old Town? Want accommodations to be clean, pleasant, close to restaurants/bars and shopping. Thanks

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:38 AM
JRinPV

Playa Los Arcos hotel is right on the beach, south side of town.

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Kris

Renee, I second the recommendation for Playa Los Arcos-well located, clean, great view if you are on the ocean side, not too expensive. Very close to the area where the nicer restauants are and right on the beach.

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Clarisa

for Renee & others~ I have heard very mixed reviews about Playa Los Arcos (noisy, not clean, some very small rooms, less than friendly staff). But it is right on the beach and does have a big pool.

If you're interested in something more intimate and totally gorgeous take a look at www.casa-andrea.com. It's homey, very Mexican in style, Andrea who owns it is great. Each room has a patio kitchen (but no A/C, television or phones). The pool is lovely. Like living in a private home. 1 block from the main beach of Playa Los Muertos. For a larger hotel I like Molino de Agua, see www.molinodeagua.com (but site doesn't do the place justice). Has two huge pools, pretty gardens and grounds, right on the beach and the river in the center of town.

Go2Mexico.com has a pretty complete listings. Go into Puerto Vallarta and then into downtown area hotel list.

The old town area is FULL of restaurants, shopping, etc. In my personal experience even the 2/3-star less expensive hotels are clean, pleasant, usually very well kept.

But DO realize you'll be getting a bit more of "real Mexico" in that neighborhood than you'll ever see or feel out in the resort part of town (Nuevo Vallarta, The Marina, Hotel Zone). To me this is heavenly, but some might find it a bit much (you may hear a rooster or a mariachi band at some ungodly hour of the morning or night!!).

Feel free to write direct if you want. I've spent 15 vacation in PV over the past 10 years and am more than willing to share what I've seen.

Apr 14th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Beverly

I've stayed at both the Sheraton Bungavillias and Los Tules even though I don't know how to spell either of them. I liked staying at the Sheraton. It is close enough to town and you can take a bus for 50cents to town or old town. It's really minutes. We went to old town all the time. It's a great place.