Search

Puerto Vallarta/family spring break 2008

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta/family spring break 2008

I know it isn't the best time to go but we're planning on a trip pretty much anywhere and PV has some of the best airfare at the moment. I spent a lot of time in Mexico as a kid but it was always small coastal villages, either in a simple, family run motel or camped out on a beach. I don't suppose I'm going to re-live my childhood experiences, but I was wondering if old town PV would be a nice option. We have several adult family members planning on going and a few kids. We like to keep it simple, eat foods from the markets and tacos by the dozen. We don't do jet skis and parasailing. We eat, play in the water, eat some more, nap, take walks and eat again. Please give me your opinion on this idea or advice of other options. Thanks in advance
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 04:52 AM

You could do a night or 2 in old PV then head to Sayulita, Chacala and or Yelapa for the "small coastal village" feeling.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Old town is a very busy place with a very crowded beach. You might consider Bucerias, Yelpa or even farther afield to a place like Meleque/Barra de Navadad (a 3 to 4 hour bus ride south) which is still the kind of place you remember. The problem with Yelpa is Hordes of day trippers each day. Bucerias about 30 minutes North is still fairly peaceful but is growing.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 07:59 AM

The south side of town is very pleasant and the beach at Los Muertos is only really crowded at Mexican holiday times, so avoid the two weeks of Easter.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Not looking for an argument but I guess what crowded means to one is not to another as I have never seen it "Not Crowded" by my standards & I have been there every season of the year. If you looking for a small village atophoshere it ain't PV. Now I love it but I know it is not particulary relaxing such as Zihuatanejo, Playa Azul. Barra or even Manzanillo.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.hotelposadaderoger.com

Yes I think Old Town Puerto Vallarta could fit what you seek. Yes is can be crowded as it is a very fun, busy, festive kind of neighborhood but retains its local flavor.

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:31 AM
pdx
Original Poster

Thank you all. This is very good input and I will forward it on to the family and everyone can use your advice to come to a decision. I think old town would probably make everyone happy if it weren't in the middle of spring break. But then again, we have to decide if we want to throw more traveling into the mix to get further out. Lovely hotel option, Suze.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM

pdx- Wll thank you! It's my personal favorite hotel, I've stayed there a dozen times. I don't recommend it for everyone, but seemed a pretty good fit for what you describe. It's spanking clean and the staff is very friendly. It's a bit noisy on one wing in particular, since it's located on a busy street but extremely convenient to everything. Great rooftop pool and sundeck, fantastic breakfast restaurant called Fredy's El Tucan downstairs.

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Travel & Leisure has a big article on Sayulita and other towns near PV. Lots of small, affordable boutique hotels mentioned in the article.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...-nueva-riviera
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM

I would suggest heading north to Sayulita or San Pancho. Both are small towms with nice beaches and wonerful food. In Sayulita try Playa de los Muertos, a local beach past a cemetary that is calm and gentle for all ages of swimmers. For food try Rollies or Choco Banana for breakfast, Calypso or an el pastor stand for dinner(roadside taco stands..very local and authentic, cheap and yummy). San Pancho is farther north and has a very small town, laid back and local vibe. Great food and beaches, worth the trip.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM

I think you might find Puerto Vallarta too commercialized and touristy - Hooters, McDonalds, etc. Puerto Vallarta is stictly a tourist town, there is no other industry to keep it afloat. Everyone and everything is a by product of the tourist industry.

I have to agree with others that from your description you might be happier in a smaller, less touristy town.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:42 PM
pdx
Original Poster

Anyone have advice how to get to one of the smaller towns? Will we likely be able to hire a couple vans to haul us there and back? And would you advise a motel or two in these smaller towns that I can investigate for availability? I'd like to start arrangements because this is turning into a family reunion. We haven't decided for either PV or a village, but I'd like to check out the options.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:38 PM

I would suggest that if you are traveling with a group you rent a home in Sayulita, see www.sayulitalife.com there are great prices on beachfront homes for 2-4 couples to share, or smaller condo like places with 4-8 rooms that share a common pool area. You have 3 options to get from P.V. to Sayulita taxi(pricey and 30 min. ride), bus(slow, cheap, authentic) or a rental car. When I was there we had a car and it became very helpful when traveling with small children and made sightseeing and adventuring out on our own much easier. Roads are very tight in Sayulita, but when had an enormous suv and managed just fine. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 06:42 AM

If you want to buy a guidebook I think Moon Publication's "Puerto Vallarta and 300 miles of coastline" by Bruce Whipperman is excellent for the area. It covers all the towns you're considering heading north from Vallarta.

There's also a brand new 1st time Fodor's PV 2008 being released but I haven't seen it yet.

(Sorry can't help from personal experience as I always stay right in downtown & have only been out as far as Punta Mita on day trips.)