Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta Atmosphere (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-atmosphere-389536/)

brk01 Jan 20th, 2004 07:22 AM

Puerto Vallarta Atmosphere

Dad planning first trip back to Puerto Vallarta after 25 years, this time with my 12-year-old son. Will I recognize the place? Is there any "Mexican atmosphere" left? Would appreciate in particular any comments on the Playa Los Arcos Hotel; offered as part of a Delta Air Lines package (seems like a good deal for Easter week) and described as being in the "romantic zone." Not sure what that means but would prefer not be to be in new high rise hotel area, but not a dump either. Many thanks for any thoughts.

SusanInToronto Jan 20th, 2004 07:39 AM

Last February I went back to Puerto Vallarta after 16 years, and I have to say I was a little disappointed. But that probably had something to do with where we stayed (we went low budget). We were there in transit - just 2 or 3 nights before going to Sayulita for a week. (Sayulita was fabulous.) I used to love Puerto Vallarta and went several times in the 80's. It seemed much busier now (although it was always busy), but I've probably changed since then as well! On the plus side, though, it still does seem like a Mexican town (or city) - it's not like Cancun (which I really don't like). There are lots of good restaurants, people are friendly. I've had friends go to Puerto Vallarta (people who hadn't been there before) and they've loved it.

butsey Jan 20th, 2004 08:31 AM

Easter week is the busiest week in P. Vallarta I definitely wouldn't go to Los Arcos Hotel that area is always busy. If you must go during that week I don't know if you mean the week before or after Easter the week before is Holy Week all the Mexicans go to the beach if they can't afford a hotel room they camp out on the beaches. I would recommend some hotel that is a resort that you can stay at all week. Look into Nuevo Vallarta. I have been going to P. Vallarta for the last 15 years and it has changed so much but I still love it. Nuevo is on the other side of P. Vallarta haven't stayed there yet but I know it's not as busy as in town. That is where the Los Arcos Hotel is right in the heart of town Good Luck

brk01 Jan 20th, 2004 11:44 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Butsey, I am thinking of arriving the Saturday just before Easter and staying the next week. Will that be particularly crowded, do you think?

JRinPV Jan 20th, 2004 12:20 PM

Yes, it will be crowded.
Vallarta has changed in the last 25 years, but in many ways it's still the same small village.
Unlike Nuevo Vallarta, that never existed until it was built for the tourists, nothing authentic there.
The 'Romantic' zone was just some fools attempt to not call the south side of town, the Los Muertos Beach area. Nobody calls it the 'Romantic Zone' here. Some call it 'Old Town' which is strange since Downtown is much older. It's so busy at Easter time, if you have your reservation, hold on to it. Try to get a beach side room at Los Arcos - much quieter at night.

suze Jan 20th, 2004 07:32 PM

As a frequent traveler to PV, I'd love to be down there, at the hotel you mentioned, at the time your Dad plans to go!

Sure it's busy. And that hotel is an old-fashioned tourist-normal hotel on the beach.

I've been going there only 12 years, so can't comment on 25. But "south of the river" is an incredible neighborhood, a little bit honkey-tonk but fun and definitely not chain resort atmosphere.

For true "mexican atmosphere" just take a walk inland or go to the supermercado (Rizo's). Within only a few blocks, things fall back to a normal town incredibly quickly. Or a local bus to a different neighborhood.

If you have a map, "Zona Romantica" in brochure lingo refers to south of the Rio Cuale (river cutting thru just south of downtown proper).

jfahey Jan 23rd, 2004 05:25 AM

I'd certainly pass on Los Arcos - I stayed one night and checked out the next AM - noisy and poor -(very poor) service.

butsey Jan 23rd, 2004 10:16 AM

How about Camino Real they have their own private beach stayed there last March nicest beach in P. Vallarta

jwc Jan 23rd, 2004 03:46 PM

Puerto Vallarta will not be the same as 25 years ago but they have done a much better job of preserving their traditions than most Mexican cities have.