Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta Area Recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-area-recommendations-1659619/)

philjo Oct 26th, 2018 07:25 AM

Puerto Vallarta Area Recommendations

Hello. My husband and I are planning a two week trip for early January to the Puerto Vallarta area of Mexico. I am looking for advice on which area would be best for us to stay in. I have looked at Punta de Mita, Bucerias and La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. We are looking for a long flat walking beach, being able to walk to restaurants and shopping. We would take a public bus into Puerto Vallarta or any other areas to visit. We like the less "touristy" areas and would not stay in an All Inclusive. We will look for a condo vacation rental hopefully. Would appreciate advice on which location would be best. Thank you

cabron Oct 26th, 2018 08:11 AM

None of the places you mentioned are in, or even near Puerto Vallarta. The closest, Bucerias is about a 50min drive away with traffic busy now.
Long flat beaches are mostly in Nuevo Vallarta 45min north of PV. But mostly AI there and almost no shopping.
I would suggest Bucerias, see map here https://vallartainfo.com/the-bay/

suze Oct 26th, 2018 10:22 AM

Those places are all a good distance away from Puerto Vallarta. I know lots of great condos, but they are all in PV proper (I vacation there twice a year). None of the smaller areas will have the huge variety of restaurants and shopping right outside your front door, like Puerto Vallarta offers. I'm no expert (since I stay right in town) but not sure how practical getting around only by bus would be from the more remote areas.

Have you started looking at condos? And you are finding places you like available in these areas??

tom42 Oct 26th, 2018 11:05 AM

Punta Mita is about an hour from Puerto Vallarta. I've never been but I've ogled photos of the Four Seasons Punta Mita. Looks beautiful but quite pricey. I am sure they have some condos in that area and from what little I've read about it, there are a number of restaurants in "town" by the beach. Not sure if they are walking distance from any of the condos. You might want to look into condos right in PV. You may have to be a little flexible on your beach criteria but you'd have a good amount of shopping and restaurants to choose from. And the Malecon is quite nice and fun in the evenings.

suze Oct 26th, 2018 12:49 PM

Just because you stay in town doesn't mean you have to stay in an All Inclusive... or even in a resort. I never have. But I don't think Bucerias is any less "touristy" than PV. Just smaller. I honestly can't think of anything that fits your wish list. I'm guess I'm back to recommending you research condos, and see what all is out there in the areas you are talking about. That availability could make the decision for you. January is considered high season and rates will reflect that.

philjo Oct 26th, 2018 01:04 PM

Thank you so much for the replies. I hadn't thought about looking into a condo in PV as i thought it may be just too busy there, but I will start to look for condos...any suggestions? I did find a condo on the beach in Punta Mita that seemed perfect. But I am not sure that the beach is a good walking beach and that there would be enough to do in the town, that is why I started to look at Bucerias or even Nuevo Vallarta.

Rohelio Oct 26th, 2018 07:13 PM

What you want is very easily done as we did basically the same things and more last year. We rented for 5 weeks in Bucerias, restaurants galore both in and out of centre town Bucerias. After which we moved to La Cruze de Huanacaxtle for 6 weeks at the condo called: La Joya de la Cruze... also filled with raetaurants and a marina to boot. As for the flat beach, the playa Destilateras is a very short bus ride away from La Cruze ( same bus that takes you to Punta Mita) Talk about flat beach... this beach is very very flat and goes on for miles, unfortunately, there is but one restaurant at the beach where you can chose to eat or if you bring your lunch, and sit on your own blanket with access to the toilets and bar! We were not all that fond about Punta de Mita but worth the short bus ride over for a lunch and several Coronas. PV is about 45 minutes from Bucerias or 55 minutes from La Cruze. On every Sunday in La Cruze, there is the famous Open Air Market on the marina with fresh sea food and all kinds do crafts, we even had excellent Butter chicken from India at one of the 2 dozen caterers along side the marina. You can get around by bus or colectivo north to Sayulita and San Pancho or south to PV. There is a Chedraui right in Bucerias and a Walmart and Comer close by. A two week stay is no where near long enough for you to appreciate all there is to offer in those small areas away from PV... Our friends stayed in center town PV and when we chose to visit, we would either stay over or take the last bus out (around 9.30-10.00) back to Bucerias or La Cruze. You have got to go...

philjo Oct 27th, 2018 10:53 AM

Thank you ever so much for this... it has helped make up our minds!

suze Oct 29th, 2018 10:44 AM

www.PVRPV.com is a good website to start with because they have huge inventory and a good search feature on the website.

I have stayed at: Vista del Sol, Selva Romantica, and El Escondido. Other condo buildings in Old Town include: Plaza Mar, El Dorado, Plaza Dorada, La Palapa.

But these are all most definitely IN TOWN options.

philjo Oct 30th, 2018 06:36 AM

Thank you Suze...very helpful.

suze Oct 30th, 2018 10:47 AM

If you have other questions feel free to give a shout. I'll be in PV later this week.

cabron Oct 31st, 2018 06:32 AM

The two girls at Vallarta Getaways https://www.vallarta-getaways.com/rent/ are also ver1ry good at finding what you want, they are located in Plaza Mar on the south side of town. Also Jeff Musto, The PV Kid, has many rentals around town https://puerto-vallarta-rentals.com/

suze Oct 31st, 2018 09:52 AM

Actually Vallarta Getaway's storefront office is located in Plaza Romy on I. Vallarta (not Plaza Mar). But I do agree they are GREAT people and very good at their jobs.

Rohelio Nov 1st, 2018 09:25 AM

If you are still interested in La Cruze de Huanacaxtle then go over to there internet site called » Inside la Cruze » . You need to ask to be a member to which you will automatically be accepted.
All kinds of practical information and videos on restaurants, markets, the marina and more...

cabron Nov 2nd, 2018 07:15 AM

Yes Plaza Romy, - Brain Fart !

suze Nov 5th, 2018 02:04 PM

hola cabron, i knew you knew :-) suze

theviruzware Jan 28th, 2019 11:59 AM

I think it's an excellent idea to start there, I'd like to add that a good place to go is Isla Marietas.