Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta area beach hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-area-beach-hotels-716758/)

vlj Jun 28th, 2007 10:07 AM

Puerto Vallarta area beach hotels

I need help with accommodations.
My husband and I are traveling with a 1-yr-old. We will be the Puerto Vallarta area for about 5-6 days in early October. We are driving from Guadalajara and will have a rental car.
I picked PV as a beach destination for it’s proximity to Guad. and the fact that the town offers some sight-seeing or activities if the weather is bad. Plus restaurants.
I am torn between staying at a large resort in or near PV or trying to do something more unique and going to one of the smaller beach towns. I thought about doing both but think I’d prefer not to have to pack up our stuff and make another car trip. A day trip to an isolated beach is certainly an option, though.

I love to get feedback on places you know about or have heard about, especially considering the following (somewhat conflicting) criteria:

--Nice pool area. Not too crowded, but with some activity that would be interesting for my kid to watch.
--No loud music playing in pool area.
--Room should be less than five minutes from beach. Not at back of some large property where you can’t run back if you forgot your sunglasses.
--Beach should not be crowded.
--Hotel/resort should have fun but peaceful atmosphere.
--Beach should not be narrow.
--Would prefer ocean to have waves, but will take calm water over un-swimmable surf.
--Would like a long stretch of beach you can walk on.
--Good food. Will most likely eat lunches on the property. Early dinners in town.
--Hotel should provide amenities like a crib.
--The Ritz Carlton in Punta Mia sounds great – if I want to blow the kid’s college fund – and is tempting as a nice peaceful get-away where everthing would be taken care of for us. As in service, etc. But I’d like to be a little closer to PV in case the weather is bad and we need stuff to do – plus we’d like to go out to some local restaurants and not be stuck at a resort.
--Am willing to splurge a little.

Thanks so much!!

suze Jun 28th, 2007 02:04 PM

It's a Four Seasons in Punta Mita (not the Ritz). I wish I could help but I can't think of anyplace that fits the list you describe.

blondlady Jun 30th, 2007 03:20 PM

Hola: I think Guayabitos would be to your liking. It has the perfect beach for children. And the town is cleaner than PV. But not as much to do and see (no Malecon). ARMANDO's restaurant is superb at the south end of the beach by Tequila Willey's, also Tonita I on the beach. Other good restaurants on the main road. I do not know about the Hotel situation. I do not think they are rated 5 star, but comfortable and kid friendly. Take a look on the internet sites for Guayabitos. For swimming and a long beautiful beach to walk on --this is great. October is the end of the rain and not as many tourists will be there. If you are there on a Thursday, the Tiangus (market) day at La Penita (right next to Guayabitos) from 8AM - 2:00PM is fun.

butsey Jul 3rd, 2007 05:48 AM

Look into Dreams it is an all inclussive resort which I prefer not to do but it does have the best private beach and is only about 5 min to town by taxi. The only other place I can recommend is Casa Obelisco in San Pancho everyone loves it I have never been but read up on it I have never read anything negative about it. I also love the Marriott but it doesn't have a nice beach in fact most of the hotels I have stayed at do not. The pools are all great and they are located right on the beach. Good Luck Let me know what you decide.

blondlady Jul 16th, 2007 03:37 PM

Regarding San Pancho in October, if it is raining ask someone about the crabs running in the street. In June it started raining and there were thousands of crabs running from their sand holes for higher ground going in every crack in the cement, under doors and fences and being crushed under our car tires. I would NEVER stay in San Pancho when it rains. You probably can ask Casa Obelisco about this. They are a very well respected B & B. Still for good swimming and beach area, San Pancho would not be my first choice.