Puerto Vallarta and Beyond?

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Susan

Puerto Vallarta and Beyond?

I'd like some ideas on a trip we're planning to the Puerto Vallarta area.

I've just booked a trip for mid-February. I normally wouldn't book so far in advance, but we're using ff miles and were lucky to even get a flight during the time we wanted to go. Even so, we'll end up spending about 1 1/2 days in Mexico City on our way down. Then we're in Puerto Vallarta for 2 nights before we move to Sayulita for a week (our accommodation is already booked which is why we needed to get flights during that timeframe). Then we've got 4 nights before we fly home to Toronto.

Originally when I thought about this trip, I thought we'd probably have the week at Sayulita then we'd have a week elsewhere. I thought maybe a few days in Guadalajara or maybe visiting friends who often go to Melaque during that time.

Since I couldn't get the flights that I wanted, I'm having to come up with different plans!

I'm quite happy with the Mexico City stayover - we've been there before and I like Mexico City. Lots to see and do.

I've also stayed in Puerto Vallarta a few times, but not for more than 16 years, so I can see that it might be fun to spend a couple of nights there. (We haven't even been to that area for 16 years.) I've already starting e-mailing different hotels to get info on costs, etc. So far the only one that's responded is the Posada de Roger. Rate was quoted at $50 USD which included tax for the 2 of us. Anyone know how that compares to Posada Rio Cuale? I can see that there ae some wonderful properties in PV, but we don't want to spend much more than $50 USD a night. Our flight from Mexico City also gets into PV later in the day (about 8 PM I think), so I think I'd prefer to have a place booked rather than wandering around looking for a place to stay.

Then we come to our last 4 nights. I'm still thinking of Guadalajara, although our flight back to Mexico City is fairly early in the day, so we'd really only have 3 nights for that (I think we'd have to spend our last night in PV again.) I think it's about a 5 hour bus ride. Too far for just 3 days? Or is there something else closer that would be interesting to see? Also, if we went to Guadalajara, has anyone stayed in Tlaquepaque? It looks like there are some nice B&B's there.

Using Air Canada's Aeroplan, I can't make changes to the flights so we're more or less committed to this itinerary.

Any ideas? We've been to Mexico many times and I usually like to split my time between the beach and somewhere in the interior.

Thanks in advance.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Susan

For Susan about PV hotels: I've stayed at Posada de Roger ten times & like it very much. It is comparable to the Posada Rio Cuale (both in price and style of hotel; they are only a couple blocks from each other). In my opinion these two are definitely your best bets in the $50US range.

I like the 'ambiance' at Roger's better - great pool area and rooftop sundeck with lots of plants around. Very well kept for a simple place. They've always been efficient and accomodating with reservations, etc. At either hotel try for a room NOT on 'Ing. L. Vallarta' which is the main street so can be noisy with traffic at night.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:19 AM
guidebook suggestion

Moon Publications has a great guidebook for this area. "Puerto Vallarta and 300 miles of coast plus Guadalajara"... (or something like that) by Bruce Whipperman.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Susan

Thanks for the recommendations.

Susan, any opinions on Hotel Rio? I also got a quote from them, looks like it's about the same rate as Posada de Roger.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Hotel Rio

Hotel Rio is right (and I do mean RIGHT!) on the main street in downtown before you cross the river. So if you choose it - try to get a room away from the street. Their pool is pretty but shady, so if suntanning around the pool is important to you, Roger's is best, Rio Cuale 2nd.

Hotel Rio recently (over the past couple years) were doing lots of construction so I think at least some of the rooms must be remodeled. Also I know they consider themselves "on the water" but this is across the main street with tons of traffic as I mentioned, another row of buildings, then the beach in front of them is NOT where you would hang out or swim (that is probably a 10 minutes walk south down to Playa Los Muertos).

I know one person who stayed there are liked it fine a couple years ago, but at the time it was quite a bit cheaper than Posada de Roger. For some reason, I have the impression that some rooms have kitchenettes (?) which I think is always great!

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 12:09 PM
more PV

Another good choice, 1 block from the beach, in the budget category is Hotel Alegre

http://www.mexonline.com/alegre.htm

Or I see from another thread you found Cuatro Vientos~ sweet place.