Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta-Advice on eats & activities (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-advice-on-eats-and-activities-22011/)

Cal and Cheryl Feb 22nd, 1998 07:49 AM

Puerto Vallarta-Advice on eats & activities

30's something planning first trip to Vallarta. Looking for recommends on eating and activities. Going without the kids!!!!!!

J. Letson Feb 24th, 1998 10:31 AM

My husband and I were in Puerta Vallarta last week for our fourth trip there. Although we stayed in a condo, we ate all our meals out - each in a different restaurant and all were very good. We stayed downtown, and there are dozens of restaurants. One restaurant where we've had breakfast is El Bistro which is on the Cuale river. It looks like it would be delightful at night also. For a restaurant with a wonderful view and good food, I'd recommend Felipe's which overlooks the downtown area. I'd take a cab there, and it would be difficult to find walking. We had a very gourmet dinner at La Palapa which is right on the beach south of the downtown area. I'd make reservations there. We've also eaten breakfast there in past years, and it was very good. PV is a wonderful town, and I hope you enjoy it.

Bob Feb 24th, 1998 05:49 PM

We are going back to PV in a few weeks and have also been seeking advice. Someone told us that there is whale watching just to the north of PV but they went in February. I have no idea if it's still available or if the whales have gone north. If anyone knows, tell us.
Sunday evening is a must to be downtown as the locals come out to a carnival like atmosphere. Music, vendors etc. Most inexpensive and impresive restaurants are to the South of town such as Daqueri Dick's, one of our favorites.
We stayed by the Marina, an area which has seen a remarkable growth in good and reasonably priced restaurants. There is a grocery store on the main road which is great for buying staples.
A suggestion that we were given is to take in a movie. If it's one tha we are familiar with, the Spanish would make it interesting.
We really enjoy Puerto Vallarta and so will you. Oh, the prices are higher and less flexible at the main market when a cruise ship is in port. Go before or after thay have left.

tricia Mar 10th, 1998 02:44 PM

a few suggestions for restaurants: Fajita Republic - great mexican food and casual atmosphere. Archies Wok - Thai great food and great Mai Tais. La Palapa, Le Bistro, Cuiza, River Cafe, Maximillians, Trio and Cafe de Artistes - all very beautiful restaurants.

Activities: depends on if you want land or water.
There is horseback riding, hiking, mountain biking,
surfing, kayaking, whale watching, jeep tours, atv,
beaches, exploring, dolphins..... If you would like more detail on an activity, please do not hesitate to write to me.

jennifer Mar 10th, 1998 04:01 PM

the advice tricia gave you is exellent. but my favorate resrtaurant is trio it is exellent personaly i loved there pasta. bisteo is very nice but the food did not drive me crasy.have a super trip.

marianne Sep 23rd, 2002 04:05 PM

Try the adobe cafe and Chef Roger for excellent cuisine

JRinPV Sep 24th, 2002 06:22 AM

At present both the Adobe Cafe and Rogers are closed for the rainy season.<BR>Whale watching starts officially on Dec 15th, although they will start arriving in the bay in Nov.

Clarisa Sep 24th, 2002 08:42 AM

For breakfasts: Memo's House of Hotcakes &/or Freddy's El Tucan at Posada Roger Hotel (try for a patio table) both on Badilo Badillo.<BR><BR>For bkfst/lunch/dinner fresh, clean food at Papaya 3, two locations (on Olas Altas & inland from the Hard Rock Cafe corner off the Malecon 1-1/2 blocks on the left).<BR><BR>For drinks and the view: El Nido rooftop bar at Chez Elena at Cuatro Vientos hotel up behind the cathedral.<BR><BR>The Red Cabbage in Remance district for a unique dinner, both food and ambiance.<BR><BR>For atmosphere, any restaurant on Playa Los Muertos for dinner where they drag the tables down onto the sand, mariachi bands play, torches light your meal.<BR><BR>(As JR mentioned above, I'm sorry I have no idea which places are open off-season.)

Yelapa Sep 25th, 2002 01:14 PM

Take a water taxi from the pier at Playa Los Muertos out to Yelapa for the day.

Kathy Nov 2nd, 2002 09:26 AM

My husband and I just came back from PV and our favorite restaurant hands down was the Blue Shrimp. Downtown, about 2 blocks up from Carlos O'briens. The food was beyond compare, the service was wonderful. They start you out with complimentary shrimp broth, and we ended our meal both nights we had dinner there with complimentary kahlua and cream. The Tequila shrimp is to die for. Really, everything there was fabulous. We went to several other restaurants recommended to us by various people and web sites, but weren't impressed with Carlos O'briens, De Santos, or cheesburger in paradise. Best of luck and enjoy!

linda amy Nov 3rd, 2002 11:14 AM

any snorkeling in pv?

snorkel PV Nov 7th, 2002 11:52 AM

Yes but not terrifically amazing.