A group going to Cabo San Lucas?

Old Jun 14th, 2013, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A group going to Cabo San Lucas?

We have a close knit group of 9 of us. Out of the blue the other night it was suggested we rent a big house in Cabo for a week end of February or early March. As the supposed travel guy (and the only retiree in the group), I've been elected to explore this idea. None of us have been there. I seeing amazing houses ( and condo penthouses) with 5 bedrooms and baths for aroun $100 per night per person. Maid and cook are cheap, but not sure we'd want either.

My main thought is most seem to be in hillside locations. Getting around (2 rental cars?) seems an issue. And other than relax, swim, eat, and drink what is there to do? Don't think anyone is that into fishing to pay the big bucks for it. One penthouse right on the beach and walking distance to town is available. Right now that seems the best.

Help by telling me this is a great spot not to get bored in a week.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 09:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well Cabo's not my very most favorite (that would be Puerto Vallarta) but it's beautiful & there's plenty to see and do for one week.

Medano Beach is the only swimmable beach around and it's the nearest to downtown (most beaches in Cabo are too rough and the sea is too dangerous to swim).

You can take a day trip over to San Jose del Cabo (art galleries, shops, etc.) or up to Todos Santos (known for artists, surfing,etc.). There's certainly all the typical booze cruises, sunset sails, water taxi-ing around to various coves and beaches. And some not so typical like camel rides, believe it or not.!

Cabo has some fantastic restaurants, all price ranges.

Not sure the makeup of your group but Cabo is not very gay-friendly like you find in places like PV.

Check out the Cabo forum over at Trip Advisor. There is an incredibly helpful and friendly group who posts there. Also some articles of interest you might want to read since you'll be renting a car (unfotunately about cop corruption, etc.)
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, suze. Yea, all gay males, ages 38 to 70, But not the wild party types. Funny, I was pushing for Perto Vallarta, but was told, " Cabo is THE place now". Whatever that means. We were surprised to find united has a nonstop to Cabo from Newark -- about $750in Feb.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM

I guess it depends your perspective.

Cabo is/has been "the place" for the rich & famous for awhile now, just ask Jennifer Aston and the Hollywood set according to photos in my STAR magazine (lol). It's fairly Americanized and mainstream, so I think people feel more comfortable there, than on mainland Mexico. It's easy to hop down from California. I found it more expensive than most other parts of Mexico.

All that said, I do think you can have a nice vacation renting a villa/house with your group. And that's a great price for a non-stop flight from the East Coast.

But if you'd asked me in advance, you *know* I would have pushed for Puerto Vallarta.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You will be there for prime whale watching season. We love it there, but we like to just eat and drink and hang out. There are snorkel trips, whale watching, water sports on Medano beach. As Suze mentioned, excursions to Todos Santos and San Jose are nice. The East Cape is wild and unspoiled. The Cabo Pulmo underwater sanctuary is there and has diving and snorkeling on the coral reef. There are also full day trips up to Magdalena Bay for seeing the mama whales with their babies. Very long and expensive but to cool. Last year we were in Loreto for 10days and went over to Mag Bay. I got to touch a baby whale!!! No kidding!

We have never done it, but we sent our daughter and a friend on a trek to one of the mountain canyons for rappelling and zip lining. If you hit it right, you may be able to find out when one of the baby turtle releases takes place up near Todos Santos.

We have stayed in both CSL and near San Jose. Like both for different reasons. We always need a car for San Jose, but not so much when staying near CSL.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 05:39 PM
KVR

We went to Cabo San Lucas this past December. First trip as we usually go to the Caribbean side of Mexico. There is so much more to see and do on the Caribbean side and the beaches and snorkeling are way nicer.

We stayed at the Marina, which we enjoyed since it was within walking distance to most everything. We did a boat tour to El Arco, a sunset cruise, photo tour to Los Cabos, which included the glass blowing factory and tequila house, we walked around the area day and night and met up with MichelleY and her husband one night for drinks. Hi Michelle!

We found the food there fabulous. Much better tasting than Caribbean Mexico. Also a little more expensive. It's a good place to mainly chill and relax by the water.

PV has more things to see and do than Cabo. We enjoyed El Eden, Majahuitas and Yelapa, which reminded us a lot of Jamaica.

Just for reference, here is a tour company that we used for our activities. Even if you do not like or want to do tours, it provides good info for things to see and do in Cabo.

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/?gc...FVJp7AodZR0AUA
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 05:46 PM
KVR

Oh, and Cabo will be much less expensive hotel, air, food and drink wise than Puerto Rico or the other Caribbean Islands that you are also looking at since that seemed to be one of your issues in choosing a destination. That is just one of the main reasons we go to Mexico so often.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

So tell me, anyone, what's better about Puerta Valarta than Cabo?
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cabo has prettier beaches. The desert meets the sea. Stark, yet beautiful.No green.

PV has more green, trees, tropical feel. More of an old Mexico feel can be found in PV.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 12:39 AM
KVR

I don't think either is better than the other. It's more about what's important to you and what you are looking for. Everyone has their own preferences.

I have to agree PV has the nicer topography. Waterfalls, greenery, tropical feel. The areas that we explored reminded us of the topography in Jamaica.

Cabo does has the better beaches, though many are not swimmable due to the under current. Cabo San Lucas is more of a party area. Similar to 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen. PV seemed a little more laid back.

Suze has been to PV multiple times, Michelle has been to Cabo multiple times and we have been to the Caribbean side of Mexico multiple times. It's all a matter of preference. Pick which ever one appeals to you the most and then next trip go to the other one.
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 07:35 AM

agreeing with the posts above and adding my take on the differences between the two:

Puerto Vallarta is a much larger place. It's a regular Mexican city (pop 300,000) in addition to having all the tourist ammenities and areas. It it very tropical feeling, sits within the Bay of Banderas (a huge ocean bay), surrounded by mountains and jungle in the background. Tourists and local in PV are more mixed together (unless you choose to stay and not leave an all-inclusive resort). I'm not sure why or how this developed but it is also strongly an "all people's welcome" place with a strong gay presence in certain areas.

Cabo San Lucas is a small town that sits at the end of a desert peninsula. The landscape is desert, dry, rough, and rugged. It's very beautiful but not tropical feeling. The tourist part of town is separate from the local residential area and has a more mainstream t'vibe' to me (I'm not sure I agree but some say it reminds them of southern California).

I have a little different take than KVR about the party vs. laid back between the two. I think either place could be either one. Just depends where you hang out, what you choose to do with your time.