Search

Puerto Vallarta

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Vallarta

I am reading "Fodor's Puerto Vallarta" and it mentions that the hotel we are staying at has some rooms that have a "funky smell". Has anyone stayed at the "Playa Conchas Chinas" hotel and if so, do you remember which rooms had that funky order so we can make sure we don't get one of them.
Thanks
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It fairly common when hotels are older, the climate is tropical &/or rooms don't get enough ventilation... there's a musky smell in many PV hotels.

I have never stayed at Playa Conchas Chinas but do go to Puerto Vallarta every year.

Upon check-in I would simply ask if you can see a few rooms before deciding(ask politely right away & don't sign the registration form or take suitcases up to the room).

Most hotels (any I have ever asked this question) were happy to let me pick between what was available at that time.

There are not many PV posters here on Fodor's Latin America branch. And none that have stayed at your particular hotel that I am aware of. You could read & post this question on the PV forum over at www.tripadvisor.com, many more PV-lovers there.

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM

p.s. If by "funky" they mean bad smells coming up from the shower drain (rather than musty within the room) an easy trick is to take a drain cover (flat plastic disk like you'd stop a sink with) to put over the drain.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but we are leaving for PV on Monday for 1 week. We are staying in a condo owned by a friend down toward Mismaloya.

Suze: can you top your thread with restaurant recs???

thanks,

MY
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:12 PM

MichelleY~

All these favorites of mine are on the south-side on or near B. Badillo (restaurant row), I. Vallarta, and Olas Altas streets...

Coffee-
Dee's
Page in the Sun
Cafe San Angel

Breakfasts-
Fredy's El Tucan
Memo's Casa de Hotcakes

Lunch-
Cafe de Olla
Fredy's El Tucan
Il Torrito
Picnic

Dinner-
Joe Jack's Fish Shack
Fajita Republic
Cafe de Olla
La Piazzetta
Archie's Wok
Peking

Restaurant bars w/live music-
The River Cafe
La Palapa
Langastino's
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM

Oops, two more new (to me) ones from this past trip that I LOVED...

Cafe Roma (casual pizza etc.)
Mariscos Polo's (seafood)
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Never stayed but had friends stay there. So I have been in some of the rooms. Never noticed any odors but i would rate it a 2 to 3 stars for quality of rooms & a big 5 star for location! It's on My favorite PV beach. Small but peaceful with decent off the beach snorkeling.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM

Thanks Suze!!

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM

de nada
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM

ttt for kawh
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Suze:

I will be thinking of you when we check out your restuarant recs!!

We were in NV several years ago and ate at La Palapa, Cafe Las Ollas, and PiPi's. Cafe LO was our favorite as was the street food at the Guadalupe celebration. This time I hope we can make it into PV more often and check out more dining spots and atmosphere.

Right now, I am arguing with DH over a car rental. He thinks we need one to go into PV. We are staying at a friends condo, Girasol, down towards Mismaloya.

Thanks for all you help and good luck in CSL.

MY
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Hi-My girlfriend & I just got back from PV a little over 2 weeks ago. We met a couple who had been going there for 15 years & they let us join them for some wonderful meals.
Put Joe Jacks Fish shack on top of your list-I had the best fish & chips I can remember-made with snapper.
For a reasonable priced massage try XEL-HA It is 371 A Ignacio |L. Vallarta I think 1 was 400 pesos and 2 were 300 pesos each.
A neat place to get a drink is Marazul. It is right on the beach-they have happy hour & they brought my friend & I appetizers.
A nice evening meal is Le Bistro-they have music on some night-a little pricey but wonderful food.
For authentic Mexican try El Brujo-on V.Carranza before the tunnel.If you like Japaneese we had a wonderful 3 choice pre fix lunch at |Japanice on Morelos.Another beautiful setting and gourmet food is Cafe Des Artistes Bistro Gourmet-you are seated with trees all around and there are different levels-the pre fix dinner was very reasonable for what you got. It is on Guadalupe Sanchez.My friend & I arn't going back for 2 years but I have all the business cards in a folder ready to go.
If you go to the Marina I have eaten at Porto Bellos every time I have been to PV.Enjoy-Chris
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Go to San Pancho (1 hr north)and make a reservation (before you go...from PV 01-311-2584123) at Las Olas Ricas. Really great food and really good drinks. See the sunset first.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 08:11 AM

MichelleY~ Generally I say no car for PV because traffic & parking when you come into town is pretty tricky. But staying all the way out at Mismaloya I think I might consider it. (I'm no expert since I've never had a car or stayed anywhere except downtown) There are several parking garages now, that if you got the hang of using... well if you WANT to spend much time at all in PV proper, you might let your hubby win this argument

btw~ great to see new PV-lovers posting here! Chris, fantastic suggestions a couple places I have not been to but hear consistent raves about (Cafe de Artists, El Brujo, Le Bistro. The fish & chips and Joe Jacks ARE darn good!

Old Jan 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Back to our OP, dampness is a problem in the tropics so this is not uncommon. some people pack along frebreeze or air freshener.