Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-629926/)

tandt Jul 10th, 2006 03:42 PM

Puerto Vallarta

I am thinking of a family trip with two kids, 5yrs and 7yrs to mexico. Was wondering if PV was a good spot for swimming in the ocean and any all inclusive reccomendations. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

blondlady Jul 11th, 2006 10:07 AM

Puerto Vallarta is very family friendly. Look on the internet for many All Inclusives. Los Arcos in Old town is good; friends have loved the Krystal. Vallarta Adventures has a day trip to Las Caletas that was according to my 7 year old granddaughter "just fabulous." The beach swimming south of the pier in Old Town is better than north of the pier; we can't figure that one out. Some of the hotels in the Hotel Zone, Holiday inn and North have better beaches, but then you have to taxi into town for the fun flea markets (especially by the River Cuale). The kids seem to be happy with the sandy beach and the hotel pools. My vote would be find something in Old Town, but I am very prejudiced because of everything being in walking distance. Enjoy.

suze Jul 11th, 2006 10:32 AM

If you want to do things around downtown, stay no further away than the Marina (hotel zone, downtown or Old Town).

If you just want a real nice resort with a good beach, you might look into all the new-ish development out in Nuevo Vallarta (30-60 mins. north of town).

Leonora Jul 12th, 2006 09:12 AM

I'll be making my first trip to PV in a couple of weeks, so rely on previous posters for PV info exclusively, but I will say the ocean and pools are fabulous in the Mayan Riviera area. You can get some great deals on all inclusives that are just opening or remodeling in the area. Tons of activities for kids at such places and plenty to see on little side trips.

TioGringo Jul 12th, 2006 01:00 PM

Yeah, for swimming in the ocean, I would definitely think Mayan Riviera or Cancun over Puerto Vallarta, but PVR *IS* very family friendly.

I would definitely *NOT* do AI though. There are just Sooooo many excellent, very affordable restaurants around PVR it would be a shame to limit yourself to the often mediocre quality and boring repeated menus of an AI.

(I've heard the beaches are better in Nuevo Vallarta than in Puerto Vallarta, but I've never stayed in Nuevo myself --- too far from downtown.)

Have fun!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com

Wldman Jul 12th, 2006 02:04 PM

Spent a glorious 4 days at the Fiesta Americana. It is very family friendly and they have an all-inclusive option. The pool was amazing for children and adults with a nice swim-up bar as well. They are also on a nice stretch of beach. Check them out - I would highly recommend to anyone.
Warm Regards

tandt Jul 17th, 2006 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info. We have been concentrating on Neuvo Vallarta - thinking about Samba Vallarta by Pueblo Bonita. Good rate on AI. We'll see. Thanks.

PHoyt Jul 18th, 2006 02:15 PM

Your kids will have a great time. The beaches north of PV are much better for younger kids. Long stretches w/sand & very few rocks. but the beaches South of town are more fun for snorkeling right off the beach. Lots of beautiful fish. I would not go to All Inclusive resort. We stopped at a hotel to eat & unfortunately it was All inclusive, the worst meal & service of the trip.