Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Vallarta (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-vallarta-566817/)

cdia Oct 25th, 2005 08:30 AM

Puerto Vallarta

I am staying at a vacation rental on Playa los Muertos...do I need to rent a car to get around to the other beaches or anywhere in general? Also, what are the fun things to do? Places to see?

suze Oct 25th, 2005 10:22 AM

It depends what you want to do...

I wouldn't rent a car for more than a day or two. You can get most anywhere on the local bus system, but you might enjoy taking a drive say south or north along the coastline to other smaller towns and villages. You can get to the beaches such as Destiladeras near Bucerias or El Anclote our near Punta de Mita by bus.

Olas Altas/Playa los Muertos area is quite crowded and assuming it is not included with your rental, parking will be difficult, and traffic within downtown no fun.

Fun things to do... hang around Playa los Muertos, go shopping and to the galleries, parasailing, cruises, jungle tours, strolling The Malecon in the evening, visiting the cathedral. Just depends your interests.

cdia Oct 25th, 2005 12:01 PM

Thanks for the reply...we mostly want to relax, but maybe explore the jungle or do some snorkeling and basically hang out near the water. And breathtaking views/hikes that you can suggest?

suze Oct 25th, 2005 12:15 PM

Sorry, can't help.

I love Puerto Vallarta dearly and have been there many many times but I mostly just kick around downtown, lay by the hotel pool, go to the supermercado, have drinks down at the beach, enjoy all the wonderful restaurants, eat ice cream on The Malecon, hit the fabric stores and tiende de plastico, like that.

I know from other posters that the company Vallarta Adventures seems well respected for organized activities. Do be careful because many of the tourist booths advertising jeep rentals, etc. along the sidewalks are timeshare sales in disquise.

There is a spectacular sunset view from the rooftop bar @ Cuatro Vientos hotel (Chez Elena restaurant) on the street up from the cathedral.

blondlady Oct 25th, 2005 08:32 PM

HI: My niece is in PV on Los Muertos beach right now. She just emailed me that they took the canopy zip tour today and went to Las Caletas yesterday. They report they are having the time of their life and love Los Muertos beach. I am sure they used Vallarta Adventures for their tours which is what I recommended to them. Just get the tourist map for PV (from any of the guys that want to shake your hand--time share guys) or get one from Vista travel in old town. Use the map it lists many things to do. You get a birdseye view by parasailing. I don't recommend a car unless you want to go to Sayulita (very quaint) and San Francisco Beach and stop at many other beaches on the way back. If you have just a week, you will be very busy and time will go by fast. You will enjoy morning, afternoon and evening walks from the Malecon Extension bridge (in front of Molina de Agua, to the Malecon. Also to go to Mismaloyia beach take a taxi or go by bus. For a delightful lunch one day, try "Catedral" on Basillio Badilla --very charming, good food, great price. On Los Muertos Beach you can go a long way in both directions for morning walks. Go South over the rocks and you will have a delightful surprise at the more private beaches and houses. Have fun.