Puerto Vallarta

Jan 15th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Sue Goodreau

Puerto Vallarta

My husband and I are thinking about vacationing at the Mayan Palace located at Paseo de la Marina in Puerto Vallarta. Would you recommend this location? Is it centrally located to town, sightseeing, beach, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

Jan 22nd, 2001, 03:40 PM
JRinPV

The Marina is a nice new area, not real Mexican, like downtown and the south side.
The bus is 3 pesos into town.
Hasta, JR

Jan 22nd, 2001, 06:04 PM
pt

Mayan Palace at the marina is a fairly new resort (well, newly remodeled). Easy access to the downtown via taxi (24 hours per day) or bus (6am til around 11pm). The beaches in the marina are not the greatest, but the one at the Mayan Palace, although quite small, is ok. There is a waterpark across the street. Nice to walk around the marin area with plenty of sidewalks but quite 'Americanized'. Things are more expensive in the marina also. Very heavy duty timeshare so beware! Have heard very good comments about the hotel. It has some beautiful decor of "mayan" theme with lots of waterfalls.

Jan 24th, 2001, 02:25 PM
karina

Has anyone ever stayed at the Presidente Inter-Continental or the Camino Real? We're going to Puerto Vallarta this summer and are interested in staying at a hotel a bit south of town -- does anyone have first hand experience at either property?

Jan 25th, 2001, 11:09 AM
jeff

We stayed at the Camino Real last March and liked the hotel a lot. It's only about 5-10 minutes by cab from town (which is loaded with great, cheap restaurants).
The hotel's beach is very nice. We got a good deal for one of the "club" rooms (which are a newer, separate building) including breakfast on a pation overlooking the ocean(about $180/night). The room was quite large and included a jacuzzi on the patio. Did not see what the "standard" rooms were like. Service was generally good. La Perla (in the hotel) is a great restaurant. Overall I'd highly recommend the Camino Real.

Jan 25th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Ro

Jeff,

Where exactly is Camino Real? Someone else recommended Le Perla. We will be staying downtown (Old town?).

Jan 25th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Monica

Hi! Ditto all of Jeff's comments regarding Camino Real, which is south of town. Stayed there in October '96 for 4 days and at that time, service was impeccable, standard room very nice, but what I found great was the fact that it had its own private beach, which I felt was even nicer than Los Muertos in town.

Jan 30th, 2001, 03:19 PM
jeff

Ro--the Camino Real is just south of town and is only about a 5-10 minute cab ride from the main part of town where most of the shops/restaurants are. The cab fare is minimal--I can't remember the exact amount in pesos but I think it was around $3-$4 each way.
It's a great location and I agree with Monica about the beach--it was pretty secluded and most (if not all) of the people on the beach were hotel guests.