Puerto Nuevo, Baja California Norte

Old May 8th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Nuevo, Baja California Norte

This is my first time posting but have enjoyed the site for some time. Has anyone ever stayed in Puerto Nuevo, Baja Norte, Mexico? We have booked the month of Feb. and am concerned it might be cool on the ocean. Any suggestions for day trips? Thank you for your help.
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM

It will be FREEZING cold in the Ocean then. Baja Norte is NOT a winter vacation spot. This is a huge fraud that weather there is acceptable at that time of the year.
I would never vacation in February north of Puerto Vallarta in February & it can be on the cool sideeven there. You really need to get to Manzanillo & south to be assured warm weather in February.
PS This comes from 23 years of Mexican travels.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:10 AM

Cold is relative. I live in Minnesota and Puerto Nuevo might be appealing but true, the weather will not be HOT. Probably similar to San Diego.

Day trips to Tijuana, Ensenada?

Curious as to why you would want to rent a house there for a month.
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Just trying to avoid the cold and snow in Canada
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM

You are in for a beautiful and relaxing experience. I've been going to Ensenada from Northern California for about seven years. I own a beach house a few miles south of Ensenada and have fallen in love with the area. Along the strip from the border to Ensenada, there are many Americans who have retired there or have second homes. I have seen the area grow and be cleaned up in the last few years. The flavor of Mexico and the slow pace has, however been preserved. Altho Feb is a winter month, there is a great chance for wonderful weather. You might get some rain. Morning fog usually lifts by afternoon. I've gone in every month of the year. Coldest requres a sweater or light jacket. Be prepared with layers. I've never missed a walk on the beach of sitting on the patio due to bad weather. In your specific area there are not many tourist attractions. Once there, you can research. Puerto Nuevo has an area on the ocean known for lobster. In six square blocks, there are about 50 restaurants that all serve fresh lobster with Mexican fixings - price between $11 and 16. Off season, they have guys on the street bargaining for your business. Twenty miles north is Rosarito. Great place to wander and shop in the open market that sits just off the main street, north of the Rosarito Hotel. Have a drink on the pier and treat yourself to a spa treatment at the hotel. You can rent horses to ride on the beach. Definitely go into Ensenada - hopefully not on a day the ships are in. Shopping, fish market, social center, and Margaritas. The Guadalupe valley is making a name as the wine country. Be sure to get to L A Cetto for tasting and ambiance. Just north of the heart of Ensenada is the road east to Tecate. That leads you there - about 20 miles. You'll hear people talk about La Bufadora. It's a natural blow hole south of Ensenada. Signs mark the turn off of main road. About 25 miles. Be sure to go on the weekend to catch the flavor and yet more shopping. In addition to tourists, many locals make a day of the trip. A bit crazy, but you know you're in Mexico. About half way along the road on the left is "Junior's" restaurant. Good food and view. Just before entering the arch labeled Bufadora, on the left is Celias - Sunday brunch buffet and absolute best view in the area for $5. People travel from all over to visit San Diego. Don't miss it. Consider getting a room to extend your stay. www.sandiego.org provides lots of ideas. Avoid crossing the border south around rush hour and north on Sunday afternoon. Crossing time can range from 20 minutes to 1 1/2hours. BE patient. Waiting in line can be a show in itself. The people you meet will give great suggestions. Don't be surprised if the days just disappear in relaxation. Have a great time.
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Bless your heart - you made me feel a lot more comfortable and we will do all of your suggestions.
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM

I'm glad to help. Many of my friends who have gone to Ensenada with me have also fallen in love with this part of Mexico and have bought places there.

You didn't say how you planned to get to Mexico and how you will get around once there. Any car should have Mexican insurance. For your own vehicle, you can purchase online before leaving home. I've used http://www.mexicaninsurance.com/# for weekly insurance. You might consider an annual policy that might be cheaper than four weeks.
If renting a car in the US, check about taking it into Mexico and insurance prices ahead of time. Not all rental companies allow it and the Mexico insurance cost thru the car rental companies is exhorbitant. This is separate from the standard liability coverage they offer (which I decline). If you need more info on this, let me know and I'd be glad to share my experience. The internet, of course, is always a great resource.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

We will be driving down mid Jan, taking a Mexican Riviera cruise from San Diego (not booked yet) and then driving into Mexico on Feb. 1. We are looking into the ins. and I thank you for your response. I'm sooooo pumped for it.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM

I absoultely LOVE Baja Norte, even in winter. I go to Ensenada (and sometimes down to Cabo every Nov/Dec -- and every other chance I get!) I found myself in Baja 5 times last year!!

The Guadalupe Valley has some really fun wine tours and tastings - as well as a great Olive Oil plant. You could spend a day or two alone in the Guadalupe Valley and not see it all. (ps LA Cetto is AWESOME, and they have a huge pavillion up on the hill over looking the entire valley as well as a bull fighting ring -which is a great vantage point for photos)

I personally have a soft spot for Ensenada perhaps cause I have many many friends who live there, but it's a great time.

I agree about doing it on a day when the ships aren't in (I think Thurs are an off day) Husong's home of the ceaser salad and margarita is a fun one, going down to the mercado and bargaining with the people (note on the days when the ships are in, everything is almost double the cost from the street vendors) What ever the price they say is - off them half and then settle at about 60%-70% of what originally was offered.

There is the most amazing fish tacos - find your way to the hotel San Nicolas - then head towards the water - you will see a huge park that was built by Rotary International infront of the civic center - along the street on the south side of the park - there is an old lady who has a shack and a big cast iron wok. (i know it sounds sketchy) but for about $1.80 american money I had 2 of the most amazing fish tacos and one shrimp taco of my life -- she even waited between making them and my eating them so they would be hot.

There is a fun sports bar across the street from the hotel El Cid, and if you like to dance - Papas and Beers once a month has a mexican cover band called La Kaskara that is incredible. I also love going to La Prison -- which is an after hour / keroakee bar that is open til 6 am with a taco vendor out front!

Lunches at El Cid are incredible. They have date and catcus stuffed Chili Rellanos that are mouth watering. 2(?) blocks to the south in a yellow building, there is a fantastic breakfast spot next to the coffee shop (awesome coffee with cinnamon) that makes the most amazing chiliquile's, machacas and huevo's con chorizo that I've ever had.

There is also an absinthe bar on the main street -which is fun (and yes, you can buy absinthe in US now, which makes it less of a novelty) but it's still way cheaper to get there. As well as the flavored tequila's (pomegranite and almond are my 2 favs)

Tijuana is dirty - I don't enjoy that part of my trip (I typically fly to San Diego and then drive down)

San Diego is also a great time, but be ware of the boarder crossing times someone else metioned, it is a pain then.

Rosarita Beach is awesome, and yes, the lobsters are amazing! I believe we usually go to Las Langosta (the lobsters) when there. Papa's and Beers on a sunny day in Rosarita is a good people watching haven as well.

You don't need to be fluent in spanish to get along in Baja, 99% of everywhere takes american money as well. I am nearly fluent, and find myself still speaking english with most people. The hospitality is amazing. You will love it, and I'm jealous!

Oh, and the Black Pearl Ship is in the Harbor in Ensenada, certainly worth a trip through! Also, I'm not sure the name of it, but 4 or 5 blocks east of Husong's there is an old department store (it's past the big purple and orange strip club by a block) really nice things there. I got a DNKY wallet for my friend for about $17 american dollars (and it was authentic) it would have been about $80 here.

one final word - DON'T buy from street vendors / give money to children on the street! I'm part of an org. that has a chapter in Ensenda that works VERY VERY hard to get these children into education and day programs, that their parents pull them out of to try to garner business from the touristas. In the long run, the children are better off when sent to the programs. Many of the local businesses also support this program and there are flyers in their windows talking about it.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the info. We have taken school supplies to Cuba and the Dominican - would this be a good thing to bring from Canada?
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:39 AM

YES!

Infact if you are serious, email me at [email protected] and I will give you a contact of a charity group in Ensenada that would be happy to have them.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Would there be tours to the Copper Canyon (preferrably 11 days in Mar.)leaving from somewhere close to Puerto Nuevo?
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:03 PM

You definitely want to purchase insurance for your car. Last year, we did purchase it and had a bad experience with the whole of our windshield screen of our Merceded being shattered a falling rock from a cement truck. The insurance co. were excellent. They came out within 40 minutes and we could either have the car fixed there or in the States which we opted to do. We received a check very fast to fully cover the damage.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Also, my inlaws have just retired to that area. I can be an 'edgy' area. I would not drive on my own anywhere there. You must be careful and very cautious. American tourists can be targets of crime, etc. However, that being said with your family you should be ok.