Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Puerto Jiminez Costa Rica in July (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/puerto-jiminez-costa-rica-in-july-1099401/)

RMarqua Apr 28th, 2016 05:32 PM

Puerto Jiminez Costa Rica in July

Family of four with 2-teens, not afraid of adventure, like to hike, and like local authentic experiences. Puerto Jimenez Costa Rica (Osa Peninsula). Are there a lot of mosquitoes and flying insects during July? Just want to know how to prepare. Is the Golfe Dulce waters clear enough for snorkeling? Would you recommend Piedras Blancas National Park for wildlife or Corcovado National Park? Any recommendations for don't miss things to do?

volcanogirl Apr 29th, 2016 10:00 AM

We've stayed at Bosque del Cabo in July, and there were some bugs and mosquitoes; we just wore repellent every day, not too uncomfortable. The water was not clear enough for snorkeling when we were there. CR in general does not have great snorkeling. We never went to the national parks because we saw so much wildlife right on the property - all 4 kinds of monkeys, toucans, coatis, agoutis, an anteater, sloth, scarlet macaws, etc. If you like adventure, you might pair it with a stay in the Arenal area - that's a great area for adventure activities, and the Arenal Observatory Lodge has lots of wildlife on site with good hiking trails and a volcano view.

RMarqua May 3rd, 2016 06:00 AM

Thanks for your reply, I'm a bit concerned about the zryka virus and mosquitoes, but think wildlife is best at Osa versus Monteverde where we are also going and have been to in 2013. We are planning on repellent but the place we are staying is open air Windows. If we are starting bugs all the time, that's no fun. I'm wondering if I should cancel and spend our 6-days elsewhere. We are excited to be going to Osa though, so I'm in a quandary. Where else could we go and see the kind of wildlife we would see in Osa. Arenal is great but would you really see the wildlife like you would at Osa?

volcanogirl May 3rd, 2016 07:53 AM

Very few places would have the amount of wildlife that you see in the Osa; that is by far the best we've ever seen. Arenal Observatory Lodge that I mentioned above does have a lot of wildlife on their property though; we saw both howler and spider monkeys while we were out hiking, tons of coatis, and lots of toucans and aracaris. You could also do the Cano Negro tour while you're there - a boat ride to view wildlife along the river. We've done it a few times and have always seen monkeys, caimans, and lots of water birds there. It's nice to do that during the day and then hit the natural hot springs like Tabacon or Eco Termales in the evening.

RMarqua May 8th, 2016 05:11 AM

That sounds great. Im keeping the reservation in the Osa, it'll be an adventure. Maybe we'll stay longer in Arenal and check out some of your recommendations. thanks

volcanogirl May 9th, 2016 06:23 AM

You're welcome - hope you have a great time.

plambers Jun 7th, 2016 07:15 AM

We were in Osa last July. Hardly any bugs or mosquitos. We loved the horseback/waterfall rapel with Rancho Tropical, the informative walk, hike with Everyday Adventure where kids climbed a HUGE strangler fig,ate termites and hiked a waterfall, and a boat ride, snorkel and visit to Animal Sanctuary with Josh at Changing Tides. Great trip.

volcanogirl Jun 7th, 2016 04:46 PM

Why do the guides always try to get us to eat termites lol?