Puerta Vallarta hotel -walk to town?

Oct 20th, 2003, 09:41 AM
epi
Original Poster

Puerta Vallarta hotel -walk to town?

We are planning to go to PV in early december. It is clear from postings that the Westin isa great hotel and I found an excellent rate on-line. I have only two questions/negatives: 1) we love to be able to walk to a town center and 2) we would like to be able to snorkle on the hotel beach. I don't think either is true for this hotel. Can you tell me if I am wrong and/or can you tell me if there is a similar level hotel where we can walk to town or snorkel?
Thanks.
Oct 20th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Would be a long walk from the Marina to town, but the bus service is good. If you snorkel off the beach there, all you'll see is sand.
Closest to fulfilling your questions would be the Camino Real to the south of town. A bit closer but still a good walk, busses here are also available. Great little beach with rocks on both side so plenty of snorkelling opportunities.
See map at <http://vallartainfo.com/bay.html>
Oct 20th, 2003, 04:03 PM

Head south to the Costa Alegre "Happy Coast" and the Bay of Tenacatita just a leisurely 3 hr. drive south on Mex. Hwy. 200. Great snorkeling, boogie boarding, fishing, and beach combing on 3 mile s of deserted beach from the fishing village of La Manzanilla, Mx.
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:23 PM

At the Westin you'll need to be comfortable with a short bus or taxi ride to get in to town or a very *long* walk. If you're not familiar with PV, I think it's really helpful to get a map and see the lay of the land around the Bay of Banderas. It's fairly spread out. For easy walking to shopping, restaurants, nightlife, you probably want to look into something in The Hotel Zone, El Centro, or the 'southside' down by Playa Los Muertos. Not as fancy, but much more convenient.

Snorkeling is not known to be good along the shore. People normally take a day boat tour out to other spots for this activity.
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:02 AM

epi: you should also be aware that Puerto Vallarta celebrates the Feast of Gaudalupe about Dec. 12 and the town itself is very crowded.. in fact, it is closed to vehicular traffic.. as other posters have said.. think you are trying to make "one size fits all" and it really doesn't work in PV! It is however a wonderful place to vacation - just ask JrinPV who lives there!
Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:49 PM

To the post above, 'closed to traffic' is only when the processions go thru town to the cathedral in the evenings and effects only one main street in El Centro (from the 1st thru the 12th). it's not a particularly crowded time in PV in general... as high-season, tourist-wise isn't really until Christmas thru Easter.
Oct 28th, 2003, 07:43 AM

Suze: We probably have a different idea of crowds!! Don't misunderstand, all I was saying is that if you are staying in the Hotel Zone you need to get a bus/cab to go Tunel and come out on Basillio Badillo - or get off the bus about a block short of the Malecon to walk and cross the bridge.. Wasn't trying to imply that it is anything other than a great time - just that you have to plan.
Oct 29th, 2003, 08:14 PM

All good information - since I've never stayed in the hotel zone ... Now that you mention it, I did have a very unusual taxi ride from south of the river, to get up to the head of the celebrations (near Woolworths) that was quite a creative backstreet route used by the taxi driver to avoid the traffic jams!! (Usually I go on foot.)