Puebla vs Cuernavaca vs Guanajuato/SMDA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling to Mexico in August and are trying to finalize our itinerary. We will spend three days in Mexico City (one with a day trip to Teotihuacán. Then we will rent a car and had planned to go south to Puebla/Cholula (3 days) and Cuernavaca/Tepotzlan (2 days). BUT, we just found out a friend has a house up in Guanajuato. So the question is: do we go up to GTO for 2 days or not (cutting Puebla to 2 days and Cuernavaca to 1)? I had thought about San Miguel de Allende originally and wrote it off as too Americanized and too far. Alternatively, we could write off the south and just head up to GTO, SMDA, etc.

Any thoughts on the relative merits/pleasures of these places would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:35 AM

It' not easy, however I will go to Cuernavaca/Tepoztlan and Puebla/Cholula, IMHO this area is more colorful and authentic.

Guanajuato is a colonial town very nice but no like Puebla.

San MIguel is a cute village with A LOT of americans living there.

Tepoztlan is a mystical village, go hiking to the little pyramid.

In Cuernavaca is GAIA one of my favorites restaurants of "contemporary" Mexican cuisine. Also very good, Casa Hidalgo and OF COURSE Las Mañanias (Relais & Chateaux)
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:37 AM

read my trip report from Puebla/Tlaxcala/Cholula in April. I'll bump it to the top ("Puebla Trip Report"
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM
g2g

I just came back from Cuernavaca and really enjoyed my stay there. It was refresshing to hear english being spoken for 4 days. Second the mananitas recommendation. My gaia dinner was not stellar.
Make sue you see Diego Rivera murals at the palace across from Casa Hidalgo, they are on the second floor, and spectacular
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:10 PM

My trip to Guanajuato several years ago still brings a big smile and fond memories. Very friendly people in a city known for it's university scene. Wonderful mercados. The scenery isn't much - dusty, dry, desert. Would definitely go back.
Have friends who liked Cuernavaca as well; they were there for language school. A more moderate climate than other areas but no where will be cool in August.