Pros & Cons of CLUB MED Ixtapa - first timers!

Mar 11th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Pros & Cons of CLUB MED Ixtapa - first timers!

We are leaning heavily to booking our 7 night family package to CLUB MED Ixtapa for late May. We have a 8 yrd old girl & 1 yr. old girl that we plan to enroll in the kid's programs. We have basically decided on this stay due to the Rants & Raves of the children's programs & facilities. Before we finally purchase our package I just wanted any pros or cons I need to be aware of & suggestions for an 'incredible' stay! They told us that the time we're planning to go shouldn't be as busy as summer & a little cooler ... basically an ideal time! Any last-minute suggestions, ideas, tidbits, 'don't miss'???
Mar 11th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Anybody have any input??
Mar 11th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Have you read the review in either CN Traveler or Travel and Leisure magazine? (can't remember which mag. it was in) A single lady went there with a baby, and didn't have a good time at all...no shade, no bathtub in bathroom, etc. She didn't make it sound very appealing.
Mar 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Frankie ... no I haven't read those reviews. The reviews I have read have all be great & even awards won especially for their children's & baby program! I'll have to check more into it. Thanks!

any other input out there is appreciated!
Mar 11th, 2004, 11:31 PM

I used to work at Club Med, but not in Ixtapa. I do know people who've worked at that village in the past. The decor and rooms might not be perfect, but the staff will try to make sure you have a great time with your family. Go and enjoy it! Don't worry. You'll have a good time.
Mar 12th, 2004, 05:16 AM

We were there twice, but not since the rooms, etc., have been renovated. I think our second trip was 6 years ago. (We were at the Club Med in Punta Cana after that, 3 years ago.) The property is beautiful, the food great, etc. You do tend to meet people there, because you share tables in the dining room and it's mostly families. You can browse around Zihuatenajo, which is kind of fun, and one year we left the kids in their respective clubs and went to a nearby island for a few hours, for lunch and snorkeling. My only comment about Club Med in general is that if your kids like the activities (and the chaos, sometimes) in the kids' club, that's great. If not...well, then you'll be hanging out with them all day. The first time there, our youngest was about one, and the programs only start at age two, so I didn't get much of a break. I would feed him an early dinner at the toddler's club and then pray that he'd be amused in a high chair while we had our dinner. But maybe they've created a babies' club again? (I never had much luck leaving our second kid in the babies' club at Club Med Sandpiper when he was about 11 months, but again it depends on whether your child is used to being left, and whether you can stand the guilt.) The 8-year-old will probably want to spend the evening at the kids' club, because they have movies and games, etc., so you can feed her early at their special restaurant and then drop her off at the club before your own dinner. She'll probably want to join you for the shows, and she'll be in one herself. So, if she likes group activities, you'll all be happy. Some of our friends' kids have spent all day in the kids' clubs and then evening, too! Anyway, as I said, it has been a few years and we've "graduated" from Club Med, but that's the picture. You'll probably have a great time, especially since the resort won't be all that crowded in May. I don't know whether you'll have interconnecting rooms (we always did, and that was great). If you have a baby there are little kitchens nearby with milk and little cereal boxes (which my kids enjoyed as snacks). It's true there's not much shade at the pool and it can be noisy, but the beach is spectacular.
Mar 12th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Melissa1 & Sandra ... appreciate the input & advice. Sounds like we'll have a very good time!

Search this Thread