Private Guide available in Peru?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to travel to Peru in May of 2006. Can anyone give me advice on hiring a private guide for travel ing around the Cusco and Sacred Valley area. I know there are tours availabe for most of the sites but we prefer to have our own time schedule.

Thanks

Lucretia
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Lucretia, I went to Peru with three friends. We arranged our tours through Andrew Gilchrist of Lost World Adventures. He hired a private guide, fluent in English, well versed in Peruvian history and culture. We also had a private van and driver. This worked very well for us. I recommend you call or email Andrew and ask if he can assist you. Our guide was Holvar and he was absolutely marvelous.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Lucretia, Holvar went with us to Machu Picchu and provided guiding services there as well. He is really excellent.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 01:45 PM

I'm leaving in 2 days for 12 days in the Sacred Valley area. I tried to work with Andrew Gilchrist of Lost World but he must have been very busy because it took weeks for him to get back to us with a proposed itinerary and then he never answered any questions we had.

I found a private guide on this site - his name is David Choque of Cusco Top Travel and Treks - he has been incredibly responsive and suggested an excellent itinerary with him as our guide. We're like you and prefer to work to our own schedule.

Here's his website

http://www.cuscotoptravelperu.com/index.htm

I plan to post a trip report so will provide more information then.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 03:38 PM

Elizabeth, I am very disappointed to hear you had difficulty booking with Andrew. I am using him to plan my trip to Argentina and Chile in November and had not had a problem.
I hope your experience is great. Peru is a fascinating country and the people are genuinely lovely.
Buen viaje. I look forward to the report.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 04:44 PM

To cmcfong:

I had read many positive reviews (including yours, I believe) so was quite surprised....I first asked for a suggested itinerary in late July and received it in October....and it had some problems (a couple of nights unaccounted for).....I chose my words very carefully in my post - I think he was very busy at that time or something was happening.....it was such a different experience than others have reported. And we all have bad days, I guess.

We're very excited about our trip - we arrive in Cusco and go directly to Ollantaytambo for 4 nights, then 2 nights at MP/Sanctuary Lodge, then 3 nights in Cusco and 3 nights at Lake Titicaca.......Happy new year to you and happy travels!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:53 AM

I do apologize, Elizabeth, for bad counsel. I never recommend anything without a good experience to back me up. I am glad you saw it was not working and were able to put together a good plan for yourself. I loved the trip I took to Peru and look forward to reading your trip report! Buen viaje.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 06:00 AM

No apologies are necessary - I'm glad you've had such a good experience! Best regards
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 07:13 AM

You are very gracious, Elizabeth. Buen viaje.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 07:38 AM

Elizabeth, I believe I found a link to your blog. I assume that it is you, ten weeks in South America? I will be "with" you and looking forward to the trip.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 07:46 AM

Yes that's us - how did you find it???? Oh, I know -- TOP !!!! LOL
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 07:50 AM

right!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 02:36 PM

I'll offer a suggestion:

Check out

http://www.explorandes.com/peru/index.php
(We have used them twice: 1999 & 2005; and will again for our 2006 northern Peru trip.)

They are quite reputable, are recommended by Frommer's and have been in business for over 25 years.

- Sharon
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Lucretia,
We are going to Cusco and Sacred Valley in February. I have worked w/ a guide thru e-mail who has been very responsive and helpful. He is Percy Salas at [email protected]. I got his name from a travel book which described him as having good English skills and "serious". He was the only 1 of 3 that I contacted who responded to me. From our multiple e-mails he has been very conscientious and his prices are certainly reasonable. He will pick us up at the airport in Cusco and give us an all day tour of the Sacred Valley. He has also scheduled us for a group tour of Cusco, but he could also do that individually. If needed, he can make hotel reservations and do trips to MP. Thru e-mail I have been very impressed w/ his responsiveness. He seems like a very conscientious, honest fellow. His English seems pretty good (but spelling seems to be a challenge). We look forward to meeting him.
Good luck w/ your plans.
vmcb
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 04:53 AM

We just returned from 2 weeks in Peru. Would recommend a Cuzco-based agency, Ecotourism Chaska. If you want a private guide, they can arrange that for you. After a 6 day/5 night in the southern Peruvian Amazon with Rainforest Expeditions, we spent 3 nights in Ollantaytambo (Pakaritambo), 1 night in Aguas Calientes (Inti Inn) and 2 nights in Cuzco (Hotel Arqueologico) through Chaska--all indepedent and not group travel. For example, our car ride from the airport to Ollantaytambo was private. We easily made arrangements at the hotel in Ollantaytambo for a private taxi to go shopping and have lunch in Urubamba. Most tours of Machu Picchu are not private so if you do want a private tour--that is also something you should discuss with them.